Living in a tent for two weeks?

Sloan

Explorer
The last 2 weeks of June I am going up north of Santa Barbara to take a two week permaculture design course and I was going to stay in a hotel until I totaled up the price. I have never spent more than a few days in a tent but when I saw that a hotel room at Holiday Inn Express was going to cost right around $2500, I got to thinking why not suffer a little and use that money to buy and test some killer camping gear.

Now the farm where the class is being taught has facilities so it isn't like going out to Death Valley where you have to carry everything. I don't need to carry food or cook but I am looking for some input on tents. I was thinking that I could spring for the Oztent and trick that out or roof rack and RTT. I am waiting for a return email from the facility to see if they have showers I can use or if I need to provide my own.

Thanks. :roost:

BigAl

Expedition Leader
For 2 weeks in the same spot, I'd go with a big roomy ground tent. I think a RTT would get old after 14 consectutive deployment

haven

Expedition Leader
Since you need space for one person, you could sleep inside the vehicle. (I slept in my car for a couple of months to save money while in college.) If you're taking the Land Cruiser, you could assemble a sleeping platform out of some plywood and 2x4s for more comfort than sleeping on uneven seat cushions.

Chip Haven

mrlocksmith

Adventurer
I used my OasisII RTT for 10 days in a row last year and it was not too bad. But small spaces never botherd me much.

Mark

BiG BoB

Adventurer
2 weeks is no time at all :)

Plenty of guys in my industry spend most of the year under canvas, their tents do get kind of "pimped out" however (decent bed, bar fridge, sofa, aircondioner) They only use tents as its too hard to get demountable buildings into the exploration area.

Sean

winch wench

Adventurer
i purchased a 4man Field and Stream...
dimensions are 8x10x6ft...

had the ocassion to use it last weekend....a great tent...
not to big, plenty of room and the best part = you can stand up in it...
nice for changing clothes etc...
its got a wipe mat, window on all sides and an electrical hole....

i think i paid $99 for it at Dicks..

Rev

Adventurer
This is the set-up we used a couple weeks ago for 5 days camping and it was very comfortable. I could easily do two weeks in it. The tent from Bass Pro is 10X15 with tons of room to change etc.

IMG_1476.jpg

weatherm

Adventurer
I did two weeks in a 1 person Mountain Hardware and didn't have any problems but I was younger so the ground didn't hurt as much as it does now :)

Followin year I wanted space:

I have a Black Diamond First light for my mountaineering and cold weather camping. It is great... lighter stronger and more baller than the Bibler I-tent(Black Diamond bought Bibler btw..) Its cheaper too. You do have to do your own seam sealing (one reason why it is cheaper) but heck 2 hours vs... 150 :p I'll choose the 2 hours.

Steve House uses the First Light in the Himalayas to climb out there and I have had NO PROBLEM! with it at all. Great tent and breathes really well (a godsend b/c in the South East you have high humidity) It works great in the desert.

Best thing you can pitch it in the rain b/c the poles go up inside the tent rather than outside.

perfect for one or 2 if your mountaineering or bivouacking.

Last edited:

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
I say there's no need for big spending: Sleep in the truck. If the weather is nice and there aren't any bugs a hammock is a comfy option, too.

Cheers,
Graham

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
For 2 weeks in the same spot, I'd go with a big roomy ground tent

X2

RTT's are great for mobile living where the setup and packup advantages are huge.

living outside is fine in good weather..

Changing clothes....well depends on where the nearest neigbours are parked.

bad weather.....now...a tent with room to move around change and cook in the dry....

Cooped up in the back of your truck or 2 man hiking tent won't be fun.

Base camp tents can be as cheap as you want.....but last and perform accordingly.

I chose this one for my family tent, as its good for just about every season, the curves shed water and wind, the interior 'rooms' are removable.

Quality poles and materials.

Not the fastest to pitch....but while other tents are flattened by the wind, mind is still standing :)

I'd quite happily live in it for two weeks with space enough to be comfortable

marmot town house

014.jpg

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
You can not go wrong with an Oztent. I love my rv4 with peaked side panels and front panel. I set up my cot inside with plenty off room for the rest of my gear, Then the front enclosed room becomes my kitchen and "lounge" Just make sure you purchase 2 extra poles so you can take full advantage of the front panels awning capabilities.

For a cot I have been happy with my roll a cot. I do put my jacks plastic welding sleeping pad over the top for extra comfort. One suggestion I have though if you are going to run a similar setup make a sheet that fits over your sleeping pad then you can just drap a sleeping bag over top of you with out sticking to you sleeping pad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior