rear bumpers with tires

CodyB

Observer
I have been looking at several rear bumpers that have spare tires mounted on the bumper, and I'm not quite sure how the tire is secured. I am trying to get ideas on mounting two spare tires on the bed of my truck. Any pictures or descriptions of how these spare tires are mounted/secured would be appreciated. Thanks.

seanz0rz

Adventurer
when i built my tire carrier, i got some wheel studs, pressed them through the 3/16" steel, and put small tacks on the back side so they didnt push through. i use wheel locks so its very very difficult for a thief to remove the tire.

IMG_0782.jpg

IMG_0781.jpg

IMG_0793.jpg

(doesnt show the wheel locks, but i use 3, makes it easier to take off if i dont have to swap sockets!

cumminscruiser

Adventurer
Spare tire

One thing to consider is having a 2nd spare tire without the rim, I do this on long trips, I just throw the tire on the roof rack. If you have a spare with a rim you can always swap the rubber with the flat tire, a couple of tire irons in the tool box, a high lift jack and a ratcheting tiedown and your set or just bring it to your near by gas station.

Reducing weight on long trips help out with gas milage. Plus you can store a tarp, etc in the spare tire as well.

Nadir_E

Adventurer
One thing to consider is having a 2nd spare tire without the rim, I do this on long trips, I just throw the tire on the roof rack. If you have a spare with a rim you can always swap the rubber with the flat tire, a couple of tire irons in the tool box, a high lift jack and a ratcheting tiedown and your set or just bring it to your near by gas station.

Reducing weight on long trips help out with gas milage. Plus you can store a tarp, etc in the spare tire as well.

Reminds me of a saying expressed by a Special Forces soldier - "whenever possible, replace gear with skill" (the intent being weight savings). It applies here as well - if you have the skill to replace a tire on a wheel, you don't need the added weight of the extra wheel. Brilliant!

I'll need to develop that skill - I've changed many a flat tire by swapping in a spare, but never replaced a tire on a wheel.

-N

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
But what if you ruin a wheel :)

I am considering a compact spare with wheel on my dodge buildup. The rolling stock on the truck is pretty darn big, heavy, and tough. I don't think I will need a spare that often or at all, but its hard to think about going into the outback of beyond without anything. I have the ability to dismount/mount/repair just about any tire but I still find it hard leaving the spare at home.

A full size spare ( or two ) does take up a LOT of room! I think buying tough tires and having the ability to fix minor punctures is the key most of the time.

Nadir_E

Adventurer
Oh I wasn't suggesting going without a full sized complete spare! The logic was that instead of a *second* complete spare you have only a spare tire - no second spare wheel. So in that case, you'd always have five wheels - you'd need to ruin two wheels to be SOL. :)

There's also a Navy SEAL expression to balance the SF one - "two is one, one is none." (I guess they have lots of equipment breakdowns!). :sombrero:

CodyB

Observer
Thanks for the ideas. You guys would probably think I'm crazy then since I'm setting up my truck to carry three spares. The rocks in northern Nevada like to eat tires.

BlueBomber

Adventurer
Thanks for the ideas. You guys would probably think I'm crazy then since I'm setting up my truck to carry three spares. The rocks in northern Nevada like to eat tires.

You're not crazy. If you think you need three tires, then you're doing the right thing. You should carry what you think you might need.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior