Where to carry the spare?

BlueBomber

Adventurer
Inside is ok, at least its free and dosent hurt your aero. make sure its secure! a spare will cause some serious hurt in the event of a crash or roll over.

BlueBomber

Adventurer
I've been quite pleased with mine from CBI off road fab. They custom build them to fit your specific vehicle.

1.jpg

thats one cool looking tire carrier!

rickc

Adventurer
The mechanical stresses on that hitch mounted tire carrier must be extreme. It will be interesting to see how much side-side/front-back play develops over time.

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
If you put your spare inside, your interior will smell like rubber. Over time, the smell might get pretty bad.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
If you put your spare inside, your interior will smell like rubber. Over time, the smell might get pretty bad.

A lot of vehicles came with spares mounted on the inside. I'd suggest putting it inside a plastic tire bag if the smell bothers you. You can get one from most tire shops.:ylsmoke:

jesusgatos

Explorer
The mechanical stresses on that hitch mounted tire carrier must be extreme. It will be interesting to see how much side-side/front-back play develops over time.
It's not going to be an issue if that hitch carrier is well-made. Much stronger than most bumper-mounted swingaway carriers. I think that's one of the better ways to carry a rear-mounted spare tire. The only thing I don't like about receiver hitches is the slop/wiggle, and that's easy enough to fix.

M

modelbuilder

A lot of vehicles came with spares mounted on the inside. I'd suggest putting it inside a plastic tire bag if the smell bothers you. You can get one from most tire shops.:ylsmoke:

Thanks!!! I will do that.

JamesDowning

Explorer
It's not going to be an issue if that hitch carrier is well-made. Much stronger than most bumper-mounted swingaway carriers. I think that's one of the better ways to carry a rear-mounted spare tire. The only thing I don't like about receiver hitches is the slop/wiggle, and that's easy enough to fix.

CBI's version fixes wiggle/slop in two ways.

The main hitch pin hole is threaded, and so instead of a hitch pin, a grade 8 bolt is bolted in to tighten that connection.

The cross shaped hand-bolt tightens the slop in the arm.

2.jpg

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I would love a rear carrier but I don't want to add more weight to the car. I also don't want to carry it below...what happens if my tire shreds in mud? What if a rock is blocking access?
I've always had my spare in the stock location, under the rear of the bed of my pickup. A 33" tire is all that will fit and if you stick to 9.50 or 10.50 wide tires it does not hang down too badly. It gets dirty, that's for sure. And checking the pressure (you do check the spare pressure when you check the 4 road-sides, right?) is sorta inconvenient. But it's never really been an issue gaining access or dragging it. And it's not for a lack of giving harder trails a try. Did the Rubicon with it there, for example. I don't recommend putting it there on a dedicated crawler, you are tempting fate. But for normal off highway travel and occasional rocks, I think it's an acceptable risk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne