Need help looking for a Sat. Phone

FlyNdrive

Adventurer
Hey Guys,

I am in the planning process of an Australia trip and was looking at communications back to the family in the US. I looked into International Cell Phone Plans and they are affordable, however after looking at a coverage map I figured out I will be in cell range for about 4 days of the month.

I looked into Sat. Phone rentals, however the costs are astronomical as compared to buying one. I would also like to keep it for future Expeditions, but don't need a new unit with all the features.

gsp1600.jpg

The most affordable Sat. Phone seems to be the Qualcom GSP 1600. It retails for $299., but can be found for about $200.

Does anyone have any experience with this phone?

Does anyone have any experience with the Globalstar Service?

Do other companies have service for this Sat. Phone?

Are there other Sat. Phones in this price range?

Does anyone here have a used Sat. Phone for they can part with?

Any help will appreciated.

Thank you,

-Ben

rmarz

Adventurer
I have used Globalstar for several years and I now own the 1700 model phone. At this time Globalstar has significant reception problems that allow for connections to be made during 'windows'. The time frame windows can be found at http://www.globalstarusa.com/en/optimum_tool/ by entering in the location you wish to call from.

The company is working on resolving the issue of poor reception but you may wish to consider this limiting factor. Prior to this reception problem I was very happy with Globalstar, hopefully it will be resolved soon.

FlyNdrive

Adventurer
Thanks for the help. I looked at several of the locations I'm visiting. The reception is spotty, but you have several windows an hour to make a call if needed.

I would like the Iridium service, but it is a lot more expensive for the hardware and service. I will keep looking into the 1600 for now unless I can find a good deal on the 1700.

How is the SMS texting feature? Is it reliable or is it known to have non delivered messages?

-Ben

August

Observer
Does anyone have any experience with this phone? Does anyone have any experience with the Globalstar Service?

Yes, I've had my GSP1600 for almost 6 years now but my experience with it is limited to North America (British Columbia specifically). Between 2006-2008, the service was very poor when some S-band amplifiers on the satellites started failing. Globalstar responded by launching replacement satellites which are now active. I have noticed an improvement in service since the fall of last year. My in-car kit (with external antenna) also helps with my coverage. Globalstar also announced that they will begin launching their second generation of satellites this fall.

Do other companies have service for this Sat. Phone?

No, only Globalstar provides service for the GSP1600 and GSP1700.

Are there other Sat. Phones in this price range?

The only other North American satellite phone are the Iridium 9505 and 9555 phones which are over twice the price of the GSP1600 and GSP1700.

How is the SMS texting feature? Is it reliable or is it known to have non delivered messages?

The SMS feature on the current Globalstar network is strictly one-way (satellite to satellite user). This means that the satellite phone user can not send an SMS. This will probably change when Globalstar launches it's second generation of satellites and phones. My experience with SMS to my GSP1600 is that it takes a few minutes for the message to be received. One alternative is to use Globalstar's SPOT Messenger (see other posts on this topic).

FlyNdrive

Adventurer
Thanks August,

Would you recommend it for emergency use or to keep short communication with the wife several continents away? Really no more than 2-3 minutes at a time.

-Ben

August

Observer
Would you recommend it for emergency use or to keep short communication with the wife several continents away? Really no more than 2-3 minutes at a time.
Well, in my case I use it to supplement my emergency and non-emergency communication. In addition to my GSP1600, I have a SPOT messenger and ham radios (mobile and handhelds). I guess it would all depend on the hazards you may be exposed to. If your risk level is high and you anticipate the need for emergency communications, you may want to look at other alternatives and/or supplements.

FlyNdrive

Adventurer
I will be traveling with several other vehicles with at least 4 SPOT Messengers, all will have a 40 channel UHF CB's (Australia), and one or two others will have Sat Phones. I may need one for a distress call, but more like having to call the wife & child who will be stateside.

-Ben

FlyNdrive

Adventurer
I am researching the phones and possibly looking at an Iridium phone, but can keep the Globalstar as a plan B.

I will post more later.

-Ben

EMrider

Explorer
I'd advise against using Globalstar for any sort of emergency communication.

Unless your emergency is polite enough to happen within one of their incredibly brief signal 'windows' you will be totally without communication.

I was a customer for 3+ years and watched service quality deteriorate significantly, all the while being assured many times by the company that the problems would be fixed in the next several days. When I swiched to Iridium a year ago, it was very difficult to place a 2-3 minute call on the Globalstar even under perfect conditions.

Thus far, I've been extremely pleased with Iridium's service quality and reliability. The signal lock is fast and voice clarity excellent.

Not cheap, but well worth the $$$ for peace of mind.

August

Observer
When I swiched to Iridium a year ago, it was very difficult to place a 2-3 minute call on the Globalstar even under perfect conditions.

When I got my Globalstar phone 5 years ago, the service was great and Iridium's service was poor at the time. Globalstar's service went down over the next few years and Iridium's came back up after an influx of funding from the US Government. In the past year, I've noticed an improvement with Globalstar. My Iridium phone at work is still working but who's to say when their satellites will reach the end of their service life too.

FlyNdrive

Adventurer
Well! I sprung the extra $$'s and picked up a gently used Motarola 9500. I think the Iridium service is a lot better suited for my needs. I also got a lot of extras including leather case, car charger, spare battery and external car antenna.

I purchased it off of eBay Australia. they seem to be cheaper 'down there'.

I'm still deciding on whether to activate it monthly or with a Sim card.

Does anyone have experience with the sim card?

Thanks,

-Ben

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles