1815969b-fcbc-0ad4.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1329592883.807383.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1329592883.807383.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 544

Huntersgreen

FSJ Rock
like that trailer

i have been think trailer lately to pare down the weight up on the roof rack....I like yours small- effecent.

COLOFIREMAN

Observer
Didn't they make a 4-door version of the Cherokee Chief with the Chief strips like on Justin's black CC? I swear the one a friend's parents had was one, only red body with a white top. Absolutely beautiful.

Yes. One or two year wonder IIRC. Wanna say `78-`79 but could be wrong.

I think the two doors had wide track axles and the four doors were all the regular Wagoneer width.

Jeep never produced a 4-door version of the cherokee wide track. They did however offer a cherokee option package that mostly consisted of a 4-speed, lower gears, skid plates, and stickers.
Jeep played with the idea here and wanting to call it the Commando..
cherokee_concept.jpg
I'm customizing a 4-door with wide track flares and the plan is to make it look OE.

Here's a few that have done it right.....

wtwaggy6.JPG

Red4-doorwaggy4.jpg

IMG00014-20100722-0958.jpg

And this guy installed Bushwacker XJ flares on a waggy.....
GWwithbushwackers12.jpg

Last edited:

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
the dirty pic of Caterpillar doesn't do it justice. I did a FSJ invasion in Las Cruces and he had it there as his tow rig. Very nice FSJ.

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Another...

I don't know if this has been posted here yet but it is one of my favorite FSJ pics.

Attachments

• trackedWaggy.jpg
    trackedWaggy.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 29

herm

Adventurer
we will be pulling the engine in my 72 wag tomorrow. a new 5.3/6l90e/transfer case will be going in along with D60s front and rear.

justcuz

Explorer
Cherokees came in 2 doors originally and 4 doors later. The 2 doors were the only "Chiefs" with the wide track axles. All Chreokees could be ordered with the white body stipe with the design in it when they were available (74 up I believe). Very early in the Wagoneers life cycle a 2 door was made. Wasn't very popular. Then several years later after other 2 door suvs became popular Jeep trotted out the 2 door Wagoneer body as the Cherokee.

I had a 74 2 door Cherokee, it had a 6 and a 3 speed, kind of gutless but was a good 4 wheeler and was the smoothest riding leaf sprung vehicle I've ever owned. I would love to own another one. A little lift, some fender trimming, gears and bigger tires would really fill the bill for me these days.

Mbogo

Observer
'79J10 copy.jpg

Here's some of my junk, a 1979 J10 with 360 2V, TH400, and BW Quadratrac. This summer I hope to put 8-lug Dana 44/60 axles under it that I salvaged from a '75 J20. I have a BJ's 4" lift that will go on at the same time. There are rhino grilles, razor grilles, egg crates, pig noses, and muscle grilles; this is a "Flying Tiger" grille. Actually, that's just a chunk of styrofoam I had on it during one cold winter because I switched to a 3-row radiator and a transmission cooler in anticipation of a 401 swap that won't happen for a while. This is my third FSJ, and they do indeed ride very smooth for a leaf spring suspension vehicle. Oh, and they did have a 2-door panel wagon as well, but they are pretty rare these days. I think I have a photo somewhere of a panel that Jim Marski had. If I can dig it up, I'll post it.

Mbogo

Observer
Panel.jpg2DrWag.jpg

Here ya go. That panel wagon would be a perfect overlander. The contrast in the photo is bad, but you should be able to make out the ambulance doors--cool. Too bad they are so stinkin' rare. This one was a maintenance truck for a radio station IIRC. Jeep (Kaiser) came out with the Jeepster in '67 to add more creature comforts to the line, probably in response to the introduction of the Scout 80 in '61 and the Bronco in '66. These vehicles were more livable day to day, especially the Bronco. In fact, for the first time women buyers were "ponying" up to own a 4x4 (in Bronco trim). Still, people wanted more in the way of towing, and capacity, so when the unbelievably successful '69 Blazer debuted, it helped number the days for the smaller relatively underpowered Jeepster/Commando. After the larger '71 Scout II, and '73 Ramcharger showed up to compete with the Blazer, Jeep came out with a full-size two-door Cherokee in '74. Although it never sold in numbers even close to the Blazer, it always looked way cool and still does today.

dirty Bakers

Conservative
Here it is, I know you wanted to know I wasn't lying.
IMG_9134.jpg

so far we have acomplished.
  • fixed most leaks including a rear main seal
  • spring over axle front/shackle flip rear
  • front reciever hitch
  • new rear carpet/clean front carpets
  • crossover steering
  • bench seat in the front
  • new rear axle bearings
  • extended brake lines
  • longer drive shafts
* third row seat rear facing