Desertdude's M101 trailer grows up

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
Desertdude said:
So far its held up well, including filling the inside with firewood and loading firewood logs on top during the winter :)

I also loaded last weekend 45 bags of 60LB post concrete inside and on top - the springs really flexed on this trip...

Only thing I would change is the slam latch - it can sometimes be a bit hard to open - it takes a certain amount of cushion between the lid and trailer to pop it open - I like the lid to seal tight against the weather strip which leaves very little space for the slam latch to pop open - I think AT has a better solution ( a clamp latch)

The gas shocks I chose are stiff so when I have the tent or a load on top the lid can still open and stay up - when the lid it empty its a bit stiff to close.

You're showing some serious de-arcing there Amigo! I don't know about the 101 but I know that the 416 is only rated for 1/4 ton...500 lbs cargo. We should have a retrofit for the 101 in the not to distant future. The 416 retro we did turned out quite well. Will Morgan whose trailer we did it on did a long trek with it and wrote about it at http://www.jeepbrokers.com/roadtrip_2007.htm

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
Yup - I should be arrested for trailer spring abuse :shakin:

The springs never really arched back either. :(

Waiting is...

blupaddler

Conspirator
I know I have followed you before but...

How does the trailer track behind the 80?
Is the track width the same?

:chowtime:

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
With the 80 wheels on the M101 outside to outside tire runs 64" the trailer with the custom welded tongue is 10' 4" total length

here is a PDF I created with a few other detailed measurements

Willman

Hey DD,

Little more infor. on your axle..........

Looking at your pictures on post one......
looks like you changed out the drum for a 6 lug??????

Did you ever get the AT conversion yet for your suspension?

:chowtime:

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
I did change the hubs seals and bearings. No new suspension yet - I may be fabbing something up, unless AT develops a kit. It does bounce a bit on the rough trails... :jumping:

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Willman, FWIW wheel bearings have interchangeable races & bearing cones. That is to say that one bearing cone will fit several to many races, each of which will have a different OD. So a hub conversion may involve telling a bearing house salesman that you need X.XXX" OD by X.XXX" ID by X.XXX" wide inner bearings and Y.YYY" OD by Y.YYY" ID by Y.YYY" wide outer bearings. Rather than measuring, could just take in samples of the bearing cones that fit the axle and the races that fit the hubs.

I mention this b/c I'm not sure that it's all that common knowledge.

Last edited:

Willman

ntsqd said:
Willman, FWIW wheel bearings have interchangeable races & bearing cones. That is to say that one bearing cone will fit several to many races, each of which will have a different OD. So a hub conversion may involve telling a bearing house salesman that you need X.XXX" OD by X.XXX" ID by X.XXX" wide inner bearings and Y.YYY" OD by Y.YYY" ID by Y.YYY" wide outer bearings. Rather than measuring, could just take in samples of the bearing cones that fit the axle and the races that fit the hubs.

I mention this b/c I'm not that it's all that common knowledge.

Your right as always:shakin: ........Thanks for the input!

I trying to take the guess work out of it by finding the right setup.......But when i'm dealing with a 1946' trailer......everything is custom!

:REOutArchery02:

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Willman said:
Your right as always:shakin: ........Thanks for the input!

I trying to take the guess work out of it by finding the right setup.......But when i'm dealing with a 1946' trailer......everything is custom!

:REOutArchery02:
Since we've already hi-jack'd DD's thread, It really wouldn't surprise me to learn that the races in the new hubs fit the existing bearing cones. Trailer parts tend to be fairly standardized. The older the more so.
The only fly in ointment that I see is potentially any military interchangeability requirement making the bearing non-std trailer parts.

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
Where did you get those hubs/drums? I want to go to 6 lug on my M416 and don't really want to spend all day in the machine shop or buy a complete axle assembly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94