What is an average depth dimension a truck camper with a basement?
I do have sketch of expanding into the wasted space in front of the rear wheelwells tho. Wings? The only conern being, clearing the wheelwells while loading/unloading the camper off of Jacks.
Trying to keep the CG low in the truck bed is always a challenge with a slide-in truck camper. Noodling on the basement thought tho...
That was a very funny basement comment
Keeno, yes, there is significant storage space in those gaps ahead of the wheelwells. Does your Alaskan have the trap doors under the seats? Those give access to storage in those voids. You could build in storage boxes in those spots.
If you expect to have the chassis lift available in the future, one option would be to build a cheap trailer to set the camper on. Just run over to your friend's lift, raise the camper, then lower it onto the trailer. I really don't like lifting a camper on jacks from a tall truck....
I don't have the wheelwell problem so have put a topside box on the left, and Diesel cans and other storage boxes on the right. I actually like having those void spaces for outside-access storage.
(I also have a friend with a lift and that's the only way the camper has been lifted. Now it's on the 'mog "permanently".)
Those overhead bars on your camper front and rear look handy. Great idea to attach them where there's good structure to hold them. I am contemplating adding two pieces of Unistrut from front to back along the top to provide support for the top (tends to sag) and provide a place to bolt down 'stuff' like solar panels.
When your camper is functional again we must arrange a middle TN campout!
Bob / Tennmogger
U-1300L Unimog with 10' Alaskan camper, OM-366A turbo-Diesel, fast axles, overdrive, Werner 12k winch
Various other mogs for work and play.
I always wanted to build fuel or water containers that where molded to use the wasted space between where that camper wall and the bed wall is.
If someone had a spare truck bed you might be able to mold the inside surface or make a plug then a mold. It would be a lot of work but it would be a really really cool feature to have. I bet there is about 20-30 gallons of capacity if not more.
Last thought.....blow or roto-molded HDPE......
Project: Doitall Dodge
My Unimog camper thoughts and ideas....
Well I really don't Know but would guess ~ 8". I figured on < 6" for an undercamper pull out drawer idea I had to hold a shovel, hi-lift etc.
Here's another idea.
How about pushouts? Or making camper cut outs large enough to access truck bed mounted house batteries?I do have sketch of expanding into the wasted space in front of the rear wheelwells tho. Wings? The only conern being, clearing the wheelwells while loading/unloading the camper off of Jacks.
I bought an Alaskan overhhead camper about 3 years ago. Found what I thought was a small amound of water damage. I replaced about 1/2 the floor and started working on the damage I saw under the windows. When I removed the top of the camper from the bottom, I found so much rot I damn near wanted to cry. The sides of the camper where the seal (carpet) was between the top and bottom was rotted right to the frame. the back of the camper was also damaged from a bad seal.
End result was me cutting the camper into 3 foot sections and throwing it in the dump. You are a better man than I. I just didnt have the space or patience to fix mine. Good luck on yours, it seems like you have a good place to work, and that lift is going to make easy work out of it.
If anybody else is looking for an Alaskan camper, I've got a 10ft non-cabover for sale that's in at least as good of condition as the one in these pics (and the floor is solid) that I'm only asking $350 for. I've decided to build a full-on motorhome, so I've got to abandon the alaskan project. Anybody want to give it a good home?
Thanks for the suggestions & interest in the Alaskan "Resto-Mod". I have to say, a project like this has to be a labor of love or you simply won't sign up for it on a daily basis. Often times, it's difficult to justify the out lay of cash & time/labor when common sense is applied. I do know that after purchasing this Alaskan on the West Coast and spending a month skiing & snowboarding it's way back to Tennessee..... It's become like spending time with an old friend. An "old friend" in need of much work!
So far, the majority of the effort has been spent on the upper half and still thinking about how the lower half needs to come together. Open to all suggestions & banter.... Keep 'em coming!
Here's a few more pics of the 41 year old insulation & stringers that look "Factor Fresh" after all of those years. The roof is very solid...
Alaskan on End 1.JPG
Alaskan Insul 1.JPG
Alaskan Insul 2.JPG
Working on how to DIY Closed Cell Foam Insulate the Upper with a product like Tiger Foam. Cost is a concern.... $335 for a kit that would do 3 or 4 Alaskan Uppers. Also, researching putting it on the trailer and taking it to someone in Spray Foam Biz for a 'CASH Deal'.
Now: Insert scary, dramatic, horror flick music.... More unexpected ROT was found after the halves were separated. More to come...
Last edited by KEENO; 05-08-2009 at 09:53 PM.