1968 Alaskan Camper: Restoration/Refurbish

I bought an Alaskan overhhead camper about 3 years ago. Found what I thought was a small amound of water damage. I replaced about 1/2 the floor and started working on the damage I saw under the windows. When I removed the top of the camper from the bottom, I found so much rot I damn near wanted to cry. The sides of the camper where the seal (carpet) was between the top and bottom was rotted right to the frame. the back of the camper was also damaged from a bad seal.

End result was me cutting the camper into 3 foot sections and throwing it in the dump. You are a better man than I. I just didnt have the space or patience to fix mine. Good luck on yours, it seems like you have a good place to work, and that lift is going to make easy work out of it.

Scott

jesusgatos

Explorer
If anybody else is looking for an Alaskan camper, I've got a 10ft non-cabover for sale that's in at least as good of condition as the one in these pics (and the floor is solid) that I'm only asking $350 for. I've decided to build a full-on motorhome, so I've got to abandon the alaskan project. Anybody want to give it a good home?

KEENO

Adventurer
Hey All...

Thanks for the suggestions & interest in the Alaskan "Resto-Mod". I have to say, a project like this has to be a labor of love or you simply won't sign up for it on a daily basis. Often times, it's difficult to justify the out lay of cash & time/labor when common sense is applied. I do know that after purchasing this Alaskan on the West Coast and spending a month skiing & snowboarding it's way back to Tennessee..... It's become like spending time with an old friend. An "old friend" in need of much work! :)

So far, the majority of the effort has been spent on the upper half and still thinking about how the lower half needs to come together. Open to all suggestions & banter.... Keep 'em coming!

Here's a few more pics of the 41 year old insulation & stringers that look "Factor Fresh" after all of those years. The roof is very solid...
Alaskan on End 1.JPG
Alaskan Insul 1.JPG
Alaskan Insul 2.JPG

Working on how to DIY Closed Cell Foam Insulate the Upper with a product like Tiger Foam. Cost is a concern.... $335 for a kit that would do 3 or 4 Alaskan Uppers. Also, researching putting it on the trailer and taking it to someone in Spray Foam Biz for a 'CASH Deal'.

Now: Insert scary, dramatic, horror flick music.... More unexpected ROT was found after the halves were separated. More to come...

KEENO:)

Last edited:

KEENO

Adventurer
Keeno, yes, there is significant storage space in those gaps ahead of the wheelwells. Does your Alaskan have the trap doors under the seats? Those give access to storage in those voids. You could build in storage boxes in those spots.

Tennmogger...

This Alaskan doesn't currently have the "trap doors" under the seats in the Dinette. That is my plan for expansion tho.... Making the Passenger Side into a Battery Well for the dual deep cycles & the Drivers Side for additional storage & a safe. The same concept could be applied to the rear (behind the wheelwells), but I keep my Ammo Can Tool Box on the Pass Side & Propane Tank on the Drivers Side.

I dig the trailer idea for swapping from cold weather Alaskan, back to WilderNest Summer "Flip-Flop wearing" weather camper mode.

dzzz

................. spending the majority of it's time in Baja Mexico attached to a Chevy K20 Pickup as a mobile surfing home.:sombrero: ....................

Just think of the number of children conceived in your camper.......

Anyway, the epoxy wood hardeners work great. But in my restoration work I've found it's usually easier and less expensive to replace would I could get to easily. Looks like you will have a classic.

KEENO

Adventurer
ROT... You say?

The following pictures are of the Rot (Challenges?) & Repair on the Drivers Side Window of the camper. No signs of leakage are present.... It looks to be from years of condensation dripping down the aluminum window frame:

ROT DS Window use.JPG

Rot removed with the MultiMaster Tool & prepared as Scarf Joints

ROT DS Window Scarf.JPG

Another shot of the surgery.... Camper on end in Verticle position

ROT DS Window Scarf vert.JPG

Repair Block with Scarf Joints, Gorilla Glued, screwed & reinforced.

ROT DS Window Repair.JPG

Final Pic: The 1 1/2 x 1 1/2" Runner was replaced with solid wood Runner

ROT DS Window Finish.JPG

Passenger Side.... When I get a chance to post.

KEENO:sombrero:

Last edited:

Funrover

Expedition Leader
Looking great, I am currently helping rebuild a 1966 Dodge motorhome and this looks all too familiar. Great job!

KEENO

Adventurer
Passenger Side Carnage & Repair

Just a few more pics of the "opportunities" & Repairs on the Passenger Side of the Upper section. Not nearly as bad as the Driver's side.

Surgery with the MultiMaster Tool
PS MultiMaster Cut.JPG

Rot-Be-Gone
PS Rot Be Gone.JPG

Repaired Runner: Gorilla Glued & screwed
PS Replacement.JPG

Repair work in position, glued & screwed
PS Repair.JPG

Job Done... Clamped & waiting for glue to dry overnight
PS finished.JPG

kerry

Expedition Leader
Since these sections have been subject to rot in the past, did you give any thought to using pressure treated wood, or painting the wood or coating it with epoxy?
I've got some rental properties that are quite old. Whenever I replace the rotted wood around a toilet, I coat the new wood with epoxy to give it some additional resistance to future water penetration.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Venture, CA or Ventura, CA?

I'm thinking that this might be MISF's old Alaskan. Those rack bits across the ends of the top look familiar. I'm going to ask him about it and who he sold it to. If it was his, then most likely you got it from the guy that he sold it to. We picked it up out in Lancaster, CA where it had been sitting for several to many years.

KEENO

Adventurer
40 more...

Hello Kerry...

Yes... We did have some discussion about using Pressure Treated Wood, but had a concern about the level of moisture in PT. We just got the repairs completed and will seal before buttoning it all back up.

I guess in the end it was my final decision not to go with Pressure Treated, I felt that the work we have done is stronger than OEM and has a great chance of going another 40 years. I also think that the Closed Cell Foam Insulation will help preserve/protect when applied.

Anyone have any great suggestions what to seal/treat the wood with? I heard a vote for epoxy....

Anyone want to place bid on a 80 year old camper? I think it'll make it! :)

KEENO:sombrero:

KEENO

Adventurer
Venture, CA or Ventura, CA?

I'm thinking that this might be MISF's old Alaskan. Those rack bits across the ends of the top look familiar. I'm going to ask him about it and who he sold it to. If it was his, then most likely you got it from the guy that he sold it to. We picked it up out in Lancaster, CA where it had been sitting for several to many years.

Hey ntsqd...

Ventura, Ca. I meant!

I purchased the camper from a younger guy, named Robbie, in Ventura & we plucked it directly out of a white 1970 C20 Chevy Pickup truck that had also spent time down in the Baja. He had owned the combo for less than 2 years.

I was also told that the previous owner had been a surfboard shaper for Tribal Surfboards.

The stickers on the back of the Camper alone tell a story of it's life & journeys.

I would love know more about it's legacy.... I think it's pretty sweet!

KEENO:elkgrin:

kerry

Expedition Leader
I know what you mean about the moisture level. Some of the pressure treated lumber we get around here nowadays is so wet that I can barely carry a 10' 2x6.
17 years ago I rebuilt an exterior wooden fire escape on a rental property. I used pressure treated wood that was very dry. I painted all 4 sides with oil based primer and finished with a Sherwin Williams oil (?) based industrial coating. That staircase is still in fine condition. So I can vouch for that as another alternative.

jesusgatos

Explorer
Looks like you're doing a great job so far. Really like to see these get the love they deserve. I think they're just about the coolest campers out there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior