Teflon coated wheels

BCJC

Adventurer
for those running american racing teflon coated wheels (mojave, chamber, etc.) i was wondering how they are holding up against chipping and scratching of the surface? i am interested in a set, and would love to hear testimonials.

cheers
jackson

SinCity4r

Adventurer
The lip of the wheel is getting scratched and gouged, but I do like to play on rocks. This might be less of an issue if you have more sidewall (I have 33's on 17's). The rest of the wheel still looks new.

SinCity4r

Adventurer
Here is a picture..

DSC_2099.JPG

BCJC

Adventurer
thanks for the reply. ouch, do you know how it happened? i mean, was it noticeable contact, or did you just look at it one day and go "Holy ********"? also, does it look like the teflon coating will continue to peel away, now that it is scratched? i don't rockcrawl, but have lot's of loose gravel/shale/blast rock roads, and the rocks are always flying everywhere, i'm worried about big chips. thanks.

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
:confused: No disrespect to those of you who own'm, but...

I don't see the point of teflon coated wheels.

What are ya gonna do with'm? Stomp on the brakes until they get hot, add a little butter, and cook eggs??? :chowtime:

I realize it should be easy(er) to wash mud and rotor dust off, but heck, ya can't even use a metal spoon on teflon without scratching the pan! Seems a bit delicate for a wheelin' rig.

:D

SinCity4r

Adventurer
The scratches I have are from many of occasions. I'm sure I noticed most of them happen. The rear passenger wheel seems to get the most and the wheel pictured used to be the rear passenger. None of the scratches have lead to further chipping.

As far as the benefits of the teflon, it's looks and ease of cleaning.

Scott Brady

Founder
Mark,

Because they look cool. No other reason.

I wanted the weight of an aluminum with the black-out the teflon provides.

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
I've looked into getting some alloys flat black anodized - kinda spendy even from our coating houses that give us a break 'cause we do 100K in business a year...

erod

Adventurer
I guess I missed this thread when it was originally posted but here's my 2 cents. I recently bought a set of the AM Mojave's after seeing them on a friends truck with a set of new BFG's AT. I really liked the look of the combo. I never really saw the purpose in buying new wheels when the ones I had were perfectly fine (even the same size!) other than for the looks. After a lot of consideration I bought the Mojave's ($200 each!) and am so far really happy with them. Obviously I don't notice any difference in driving but I really like the way they look and while its hard to justify looks for that kind of coin I enjoy looking at my rig as much as I do driving it so...

As far as durability here's what mine look like after a couple thousand miles...and a picture of my neighbors stock yota'. I spend most of my time on the road with very little to no rock crawling unless it's necessary to get to my final destination. I do spend a lot of time on dirt roads however and they seem to have held up just fine. Also, they are really easy to clean and I think over time they won't build up as much corrosion, etc as the stock wheels. So in conclusion, if you have the money I would say go for it, especially if you like to look at your truck as much as me. If your strapped it seems like the money could be spent more efficiently on some other mod. Cheers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles