How to remove a bolt from a loose nutsert?

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
At least one of the bolts holding the factory side steps to my Jeep Wrangler is stuck in a spinning nutsert. There is another hole next to it that I can put my finger through and feel the nutsert spinning but it isn't easily reachable with a tool. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: this post has two factual errors in it that are revealed in post 4!

Cheers,
Graham

Last edited:

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
Yup, grind the head of the bolt off, remove the step and then grind the shoulder off the nutsert. Push it into the cavity and install the replacement of choice. If one is doing it chances are the others aren't far behind.
Jason T.

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
Fortunately after posting I went back outside and discovered that my original statement was completely wrong in two ways:

1. They weren't nutserts
  2. The nuts were accessible with a wrench

But now if I do discover a spinning nutsert (and I'm sure I will) I know where to look to find the answer and a reminder to myself to think longer before asking next time. :)

Cheers,
Graham

david despain

Adventurer

Tj_1997_2.5

Jeep Wrangler Skid plate nutserts

At least one of the bolts holding the factory side steps to my Jeep Wrangler is stuck in a spinning nutsert. There is another hole next to it that I can put my finger through and feel the nutsert spinning but it isn't easily reachable with a tool. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: this post has two factual errors in it that are revealed in post 4!

Cheers,
Graham

I removed them by cutting and drilling and the grind all the surface rust of the chassis then coated with the rust proof paint.

I purchased one set of 6 skid plate nutserts from the ebay, and it worked perfectly on my 1998 Jeep Wrangler TJ.

here is the link of you are looking for one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131579311031?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

I hope this will help you.:Wow1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior