Need a Hot water shower and soon

cactusjk

Explorer
So you are recommending the Hot Tap over the Extreme?

Yes, people are correct the pump and shower head have to be kept running when the burner is on.

I just drop the head into the water bucket and have it circulate in there when I'm not using it for washing.

When you do this the temperature of the water in the system gets warmer so you can turn the burner down or completely off once the water reaches temperature.

I've had my Hot Tap for about 5 years now and it still runs well.

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
I use the extreme, nice and simple, and works great for me. Can easily get two showers on one fill. I run a hose off of my bulk propane bottle/distribution tree, so no need for the little bottles. Also, the burner that comes with the extreme works AWESOME for my 16 inch Wok. Its GREAT for big pots and pans, puts out tons of heat with a 20# bottle.

I have never tried the hot tap, im sure it works ok too.

~James

cactusjk

Explorer
The extreme looks nice but I already have enough stoves and am looking for a small reliable unit. If Martyn likes it, it should be good!

I use the extreme, nice and simple, and works great for me. Can easily get two showers on one fill. I run a hose off of my bulk propane bottle/distribution tree, so no need for the little bottles. Also, the burner that comes with the extreme works AWESOME for my 16 inch Wok. Its GREAT for big pots and pans, puts out tons of heat with a 20# bottle.

I have never tried the hot tap, im sure it works ok too.

~James

bucketosudz

Explorer
Found a deal I couldn't turn down at Goodwill yesterday, They had a retail returned Zodi Hot Tap single, Looks to be Brand New...but the switch housing for the pump had a break in it and the pump screw was cracked. $40 bucks!!! I will order a new pump when finances are in order again, and I will be all set for a total of $70. Not a steal, but pretty good I thought. I am excited to give it a shot.

I justified the purchase by also utilizing it in our Emergency Supply Cache. Family of Five, three young-un's thought at least a little warm water might be a nice touch.

Thanks everyone for keeping us on the Portal aware of the products on the market, I had no idea that warm showers while "camping" were an option, til I joined the Portal.

Bogo

Adventurer
You MUST have the pump running whenever you have the burner lit, otherwise you risk a meltdown of the heating element. But thats easy to avoid. I preheat the water before showering. The Zodi pump drops into the Scepter/LCI MWC spout nicely, i keep one can for shower supply.

I hear this allot from people who use the Zodi's tap versions.

To conserve fuel consider a black jerry can on the roof rack catching the sun all day.

I personally haven't considered the Zodis because I didn't want to carry propane. It is yet another fuel type. Right now I can run everything off of unleaded gas including my MSR backpacking stove, and my Coleman camp stove.* I do carry white gas for them, but they will run off of unleaded petrol if needed. I bet the Zodi Extreme tank could be heated with the MSR or Coleman stoves. The MSR would need some sort of support to hold the extreme up, but I already have that for a large water heating pot I have.

* If I get a diesel powered vehicle I could get a MSR whisper series backpacking stove that could burn diesel. In fact I'd likely get two and retire the Coleman. The only reason I don't have two MSR stoves is I already have the Coleman.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94