The Dish Washing Thread

CharlieV

Adventurer
I did a lot of backpacking in the past and we did very similar things with pine needles, leaves, etc. We just called it "duffing" you can get your cookware almost clean using what mother nature provides (like the sand above), then do a follow up with some water and soap, bio-degradeable if near a body of water. It may be obvious to some, but never wash your dishes in a stream. It will leave all your leftovers to rot at the bottom of the stream and you will later look like a tool for it. Not to mention the parasites in the water. I had a friend that did that with a bowl of rice while backpacking in Utah, he was later made to pick the rice out.

Tell me people don't actually spend $1200 on a portable dishwasher! I hope that is just a joke, glamping at its finest.

SAR_Squid79

Explorer
Tell me people don't actually spend $1200 on a portable dishwasher! I hope that is just a joke, glamping at its finest.
Yes - that was a joke. Although I'm sure there are untold scores of glampers searching for the ARB dishwasher as I type this! :ylsmoke:

DavidEllzey

Observer
Freezer bag cooking.

No wasted water what-so-ever, clean up is the time is takes to reseal a ziplock and toss it in the main refuse container and very little fuel usage. There are tradeoffs of course but its a good optionfor extended desert trips where water is an issue.

A good resource to start with is - http://www.trailcooking.com/

Dave

Connie

Day walker, Overland Certified OC0013
The only problem I see with the sand method is if you're in an area where coyotes, mountain lions, etc. are a concern...

...although I don't suppose it's much different that when your dish water runoff ends up on the ground...

Till I read the last line, I thought you were talking about what the coyotes, mountain lions, etc were leaving in the sand before the dishwashing..:xxrotflma

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Till I read the last line, I thought you were talking about what the coyotes, mountain lions, etc were leaving in the sand before the dishwashing..:xxrotflma

Now that is funny!

I use a combo of everything already mentioned. As for the method used it depends on where, who with, and for how long.

Nobody likes doing dishes...

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
There's actually a couple issues involved here. One is about water availabilty, the other is about environmental impact. In general, washing dishes isn't always a very green thing. Sure, you can buy relatively environmentally friendly soap, but you're usually dumping said soap in a pristine area with little foody bits that some critter is going to eat. Kind of not in the pack it in - pack it out menatlity.

For those reasons, I almost ALWAYS use dehydrated meals like those from Mountain House. It only takes 2-3 cups of water to hydrate and there's no water usage to clean. It also saves on fuel since you're just boiling water. While there's a trash component involved with the packaging (that I eat out of) I'm dealing with that OUTSIDE of a pristine environment.

You don't have to use the store bought meals. There's lots of options for home cooked versions packaged in Food Saver style bags that can even be re-used.

Frankly, I can't ever bring myself to dump even the smallest amount of food particulates onto the ground. Just not right.

Last edited:

SAR_Squid79

Explorer
There's actually a couple issues involved here. One is about water availabilty, the other is about environmental impact. In general, washing dishes isn't always a very green thing. Sure, you can buy relatively environmentally friendly soap, but you're usually dumping said soap in a pristine area with little foody bits that some critter is going to eat. Kind of not in the pack it in - pack it out menatlity...

...Frankly, I can't ever bring myself to dump even the smallest amount of food particulates onto the ground. Just not right.

As far as that goes, we always scrape our plates into the (contanied) camp fire, and 99% of the food bits get burned up and packed out with our ashes. The worst that gets dumped into the environment is a tiny bit of mashed potatos, or bacon grease residue. I won't really lose sleep over that.

I would say that the dripping oil / trans fluid / brake fluid, etc. that seems to be found under most rigs I've encoutered on the trail is much worse than my little bit of dishwater...

S

Scenic WonderRunner

There's actually a couple issues involved here. One is about water availabilty, the other is about environmental impact. In general, washing dishes isn't always a very green thing. Sure, you can buy relatively environmentally friendly soap, but you're usually dumping said soap in a pristine area with little foody bits that some critter is going to eat. Kind of not in the pack it in - pack it out menatlity.

For those reasons, I almost ALWAYS use dehydrated meals like those from Mountain House. It only takes 2-3 cups of water to hydrate and there's no water usage to clean. It also saves on fuel since you're just boiling water. While there's a trash component involved with the packaging (that I eat out of) I'm dealing with that OUTSIDE of a pristine environment.

You don't have to use the store bought meals. There's lots of options for home cooked versions packaged in Food Saver style bags that can even be re-used.

Frankly, I can't ever bring myself to dump even the smallest amount of food particulates onto the ground. Just not right.

Without trying to pick a fight.

And because the thread topic IS...."The Dish Washing Thread".

And I always enjoy my light weight freezed dried food.....mind you!

I would say that is a bit over the Top.

You can always bury your particulates!

Just my opinion.....

http://www.ahappycamper.com/products/soap/campsuds.html

campsuds-1.jpg

In the 1960's Campsuds became the first biodegradable, multi-purpose cleaner created specifically to meet the needs of the camper, backpacker and adventure traveler. Since then it has been carried to every corner of the planet by three generations of outdoor enthusiasts. Compact, versatile, hard working, convenient and environmentally safe, Campsuds has many imitators, but remains the market leader today. Works equally well in cold water -- salt water too! Just a few drops will handle any cleaning job. Strong enough for dishes and clothes, yet gentle enough for body and hair. Made from natural vegetable-derived ingredients with natural essential oil fragrance. Makes a great helper around the house too!

Camp Suds is a 100% biodegradable, all-purpose cleaner that is versatile and environment-friendly for backpacking and camping use. It can be used to clean dishes, hands, face, or clothing and it works in hot or cold and hard or soft water.

All purpose liquid cleaner.
Use for personal hygiene, laundry or dishes.
Works in hot, cold or salt water.
Biodegradable.
Highly Concentrated. Just a few drops do the trick.

Please remember to use Campsuds with care in alpine wilderness areas.

Use sparingly

Soap up and wash at least 200 feet away from alpine lakes and streams.

Dig a hole 6 to 8 inches deep for disposing of soapy wash and rinse water. This allows bacteria in the soil to completely and safely biodegrade Campsuds.

The Sierra Dawn Campsuds:

This stuff is guilt free and hassle free. After a week of hiking in Idaho, my feet were getting rough. I went to a river and scrubbed with Campsuds and they were almost as good as new. Doubles as shampoo and soap (slightly better as soap, but good overall). Refreshing and not messy. This soap always lathers up no matter how hard the water. The only soap you will ever need on trail.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OR!

Bring Paper Plates and haul out your stinky trash. But First lick your Plate clean!:chef: :sombrero:

Last edited by a moderator:

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Late again, we use sand too whether in the desert or the beach,then a rinse or wipe down

The dog is also historically used for finishing up the main leftovers

food particulates in the enviroment- fully biodegradable and usually seen being carried off by the local insect community 10 mins after being dropped

I have no quarms about small particles, anything larger gets burnt, eaten by the dog or packed out.

teflon....all our cooking gear is plain old stainless.

We recycle the ice cooler water both for washing and the dog...

1off 20ltr for cooking and washing is usually enough for a 4 day trip, any longer then a second container would be required.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Without trying to pick a fight.

And because the thread topic IS...."The Dish Washing Thread".

And I always enjoy my light weight freezed dried food.....mind you!

I would say that is a bit over the Top.

You can always bury your particulates!

Just my opinion.....
I know what you're saying. I'd just rather be the guy known for being over the top with regard to being low impact than the guy with his own interpretation of low impact....not that you are.

Think how much different the wildlands would be if more people were over the top. I still subscribe to the "pack it in, pack it out" mentality, and will go so far as to include foody bits into that. Not always mind you. Much depends on the environment I'm in.

I'm also not a fire guy, even though some areas are almost improved by camp fires thinning the fuel sources.

I just grew up with crunchy hippy backpacking parents and if they saw me washing my feet in river with Camp Suds, they'd string me up from the nearest pine. By the way, Simple Green is also 100% biodegradeable, but it'll eat your aluminum stove, think what it'll do to a pristine environment. Biodregradeale shouldn't be confused with environmentally neutral.

And yes, I understand that much of my packaging for those backpacking meals goes into a landfill, but better a crappy landfill than an alpine zone.

To each his own.

Currie

Son of a . . . :Wow1:

THIS IS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!!! Instead of posting a link to the brand new, top of the line, $1200 ARB Expedition Dish Washer System - you came up with DIRT! AWESOME! This is the most sensible solution I've never heard of. The only problem I see with the sand method is if you're in an area where coyotes, mountain lions, etc. are a concern...

...although I don't suppose it's much different that when your dish water runoff ends up on the ground...

Don't really know how to respond to this... If you really are in Afghanistan,
then you are probably well-versed in exactly the method I described, and
do NOT use the "top-of-the-line" ARB System or any other, for that matter.
You would also be aware that coyotes, mountain lions, etc.... are of
no concern whatsoever, as they do not take holidays in the Middle East.
I will therefore take your comments as I hope they were meant....
with a pinch of salt......:chef:

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader

he's basically saying, "cool", "good idea"...

not much to respond to...lol. :victory:

Lynn

Expedition Leader
FWIW, I discovered that when I wash dishes with running water and one of those scrubbers that holds the soap in the handle I end up using less water and soap then if I filled basin(s) to wash and rinse.

Especially since the water doesn't have to run very fast, at all.

Kind of counter-intuitive, but true.

SAR_Squid79

Explorer

I am really in Afghanistan - temporarily. I'm in the US Military, and on deployment. I don't live here, if that's what you were thinking.

I thought your post about doing the dishes with sand really is a great idea that I had never thought of. In Southern California, where I live, and do most of my camping - coyotes, and mountain lions are sometimes a concern.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles