Trail/Rock Lights Install

atavuss

Adventurer
pretty cool mod! looks like they might also make decent back up lights too! and their compact size would be easy to mount out of the way.
do you remember what brand they were?

skitime

Observer
pretty cool mod! looks like they might also make decent back up lights too! and their compact size would be easy to mount out of the way.
do you remember what brand they were?

Sorry I threw out the packaging but you will find them at WalMart. They use the same 55 watt bulbs many driving/fog lights use so I was not surprised how much light output they produced.

samabhi125

I often find myself coming off trails after dark. I have Hella 550 Lights on the front bumper but often wished I had better vision at the side of the trail and along side of the vehicle. I came up with this idea and had time this week to try it. I have not seen anyone else doing this but maybe someone had. I decided to try to mount lights in the side rear view mirrors. That location should give excellent broad lighting. So I went to the junk yard and got two extra mirrors. Cost $10 at the you pull it. Then I went to Walmart and got two 55 watt driving lights. Cost $15. I dismantled the mirrors and found I had just enough space for the lights with only minor trimming to the internal skeleton. I trace the hole needed from the light and used a hole saw to start the hole then filed it to shape. Mounted the light brackets to the bottom of the mirror housing then used some silicon sealant to seal the edges to prevent any noises from the wind. The lights do not restrict adjustment of the mirror in anyway. The mounted direct the lighting downward and outward which should be perfect. They look great and are very bright and I can't wait to mount them but alias the truck is in the shop so I have to wait but I thought I would share my idea. I will post pics of them mounted when I get a chance. Let me know what you think. Thanks

Left mirror with internal frame.

DSC_0061.jpg

Right internal frame with needed material removed.

DSC_0062.jpg

Light mounted to mirror housing.

DSC_0063.jpg

DSC_0064.jpg

Mirror frame remounted with light installed.
DSC_0066.jpg

Front of mirror with light installed

DSC_0068.jpg

DSC_0070.jpg

The completed pair of mirrors

DSC_0073.jpg

DSC_0071.jpg

DSC_0072.jpg

Thanks for the installing procedure. I was searching for it from last 1 week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94