Opinions wanted - Coleman tent heater

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Does this work? Is it relatively safe (around small kids wrestling in a tent like Mexican Jumping Beans in their sleeping bags)?

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=5038A850&categoryid=3000&brand=

5038-850_500.jpg

THATSALEXUS?

Adventurer
I think they work really well. But like you said, safety is relative. I would not want a sleeping bag to end up in contact with one. I used a similar model for years and really liked it (but I only have two dogs, no kids). I have recently "upgraded" to the buddy heater and think it's a much better heater though.

Curmudgeon

Adventurer
I have this Coleman heater and both sizes of Buddy heater. The Coleman hasn't been used since I bought the first Buddy. At 3000 btu the Coleman is marginal in really cold weather. The Buddy has a low oxygen shutdown, the Coleman does not.

There's nothing wrong with it, it just isn't the best choice in my mind. Their statement "3,000 BTU output operates up to 7 hours from one 16.4 oz. propane cylinder" is a bit deceptive. Yes, it's 3000 btu. Yes, it will run "up to 7 hours." One or the other, but not both.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
I have experience with the larger size in vehicles. Ours started discharging propane after about a year's use, it really was sort of a piece of junk unfortunately. I have a genuine tent heater now though I really almost never use it...

Redsrover

I have one of these Coleman heaters for use with the small green lp cannister. Heats well enough in a good tent. I would caution you against leaving the heater burning as you or your kids sleep though. In January I camped in my large 6 person Alaskan Guide tent from Cabelas and used my Coleman heater. Probably 18 to 20 degrees F that night. I lit the heater about 15 minutes before bed, then got in the tent and in my bag. Fell asleep with the heater running atop my cooler in the corner of the dome tent.

I woke up middle of the night and the heater was out, stone cold, and I had a super head ache and felt sick to my stomach. I got out of the tent into the cold air and felt better almost instantly. I opened the tents vent flaps in the ceiling, felt much better. Low oxygen warning / indicator would have been nice. Got lucky for being so stupid.

Next night I ran the heater for 2 hours before bed, then shut it off and slept nicely through the night.

Layonnn

Adventurer
I bought a Mr Buddy heater, the smaller one tank unit.

On low it will last about 7 hours or so and is very very warm. It also has an oxygen sensor that will shut the unit it off if there starts to be a build up of CO2.

Curmudgeon

Adventurer
I bought a Mr Buddy heater, the smaller one tank unit.

On low it will last about 7 hours or so and is very very warm. It also has an oxygen sensor that will shut the unit it off if there starts to be a build up of CO2.
You've incorrectly rolled two issues into one. It senses the oxygen level and shuts down when it falls below a certain level. High CO2 levels are an entirely different issue, and are not detected by the Buddy. It will continue working in a high CO2 environment as long as the oxygen level is adequate.

An even more important issue is high levels of carbon monoxide (CO). Although a properly operating catalytic heater does not emit CO, it is always something to consider, and requires a separate CO detector/alarm.

From a safety standpoint, the Buddy is clearly a better choice than the Coleman. When in an enclosed space, I use the Buddy in conjunction with a portable CO alarm, and always make sure there is adequate ventilation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94