DIY fridge bag

mk4

Observer
I don't know what insulating/transit bags offer in terms of insulation since I don't own one. But from the looks of them, they look on par with those insulating soft coolers that you get free at baseball games. It can definitely help, but I'd much rather have one that really boosts insulation.

I thought I'd give a go at making my own since the one offered by Waeco looks to be worthless.

A quick and dirty version.

I was going to do a test run vs. un-insultated, but my extra battery in the garage was dead.

As soon as the mockup and fitting is finished, I'll sew a canvas cover. The material used is 1/16" closed cell foam on the inside and 1/4" reflectix on the outside. I had the foam in the garage and I picked up the reflectix from OSH for $1/ft.

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Not a bad idea,
Have you looked into and considered comparing the R values of the materials you are using with a ready made bag?

Brian

mk4

Observer
Not a bad idea,
Have you looked into and considered comparing the R values of the materials you are using with a ready made bag?

Brian

I thought about the R-values, but I doubt that information exists from the manufacturer. But I'd say R-3 to R-6 per inch.

Ready made bags are made up of either a layer of closed cell foam or a bubble (air) layer and a foil lining. The DIY bag is essentially the same thing but with both foam and bubble, in addition it's 3-4 times as thick.

So as a guesstimate, I'd say this offers 3-4 times the R-value of a ready made bag.

If you already have a bag, you might be able to slide in either some foam or the reflextix between the bag and fridge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior