Why hood blackouts?

dms1

Explorer
Prolably a dumb question, but I have seen a lot of vehicles on here with hood blackouts and never really realized what they were until I saw one mentioned in a build thread here - so the question remains - what are they for?

Thanks

matt s

Explorer
I had always wondered why all cop cars had flat black hoods, until it dawned on me one day that it was to reduce glare and eye strain by being a non reflective light absorbing surface.

norshor

Observer
I don't know about everyone else, but I wanted to look like a schoolbus:smiley_drive:
I put mine on, so that I will have no excuse to keep me from building a light bar on my rack. I have to say, that when I drive my wife's car, I really notice the difference. It really cuts down on glare. Now I just need to get going on a light bar.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Toyota actually gave us this....by way of Decal.....back in 1988.

2008_0331PanamintSFKernRiver0243.jpg

Mine still works! It keeps the sun glare out of your eyes, while heading west down a very steep cliff trail! So you can make it to home/camp for the night! I'm sure it works heading East....very early in the morning too!

It Works!:sombrero:

.:elkgrin:.....:victory:

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Especially designed to increase the heat under the bonnet in order to make all the plastic and rubber bits nice and crispy on sunny days:)

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Especially designed to increase the heat under the bonnet in order to make all the plastic and rubber bits nice and crispy on sunny days:)

Don't ruin my story! You Bugga!

Bugga You.....!

......hehe:costumed-smiley-007:victory::ylsmoke:

Mine are...........Very Kewl!:sombrero::ylsmoke:

I actually Run very cool......!

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I'd say 99% of the motivation is that it looks cool...

Sorry but that's 100% wrong.

After years of being blinded by the flat hood on my Montero I finally got sick of it and rattlecanned the hood black. It worked great.

RALLY15.jpg

Keep in mind that this is primarily for flat hoods. Hoods that are curved or that slope sharply away towards the front of the vehicle don't have as much of a problem.

But drive a flat-hooded vehicle towards the rising or setting sun and see how much fun it is. Your visor can block the sun, but it can't block the reflection coming up off of the hood. It's annoying and dangerous.

Also this is nothing new, I have a book called "The Off Road Handbook" that was published in 1975 or 76 that talks about doing this, that's where I got the idea from.

BTW I rattlecanned the hood black in 1999, long before I ever heard of ExPo. ;)

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
It doesn't have to be black although it absorbs light the best. My hood is a light green flat mat paint and the tire on the hood helps too:sombrero:

Attachments

• salinefall07 055.jpg
    salinefall07 055.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 157

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94