Sleeping bags

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
Any recomendations on sleeping bags? I'm about 6' tall and with past sleeping bags have trouble rolling over. Do I need a wider bag? :smiley_drive:

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Check out the Lippi Selk!
Roll over as much as you want.

layout_08.gif

10939-Lippi-Selk-Bag-One---DARK-RED.jpg

Desert Dan

Explorer
For warmer weather camping I prefer a rectangular flannel lined sleeping bag.
Coleman, Slumberjack and Cabela's make extra long sleeping bags for people > 6-feet.

There are also wider mummy type bags available

Cypher

Full Time Traveler
Check out the Lippi Selk!
Roll over as much as you want.

layout_08.gif

10939-Lippi-Selk-Bag-One---DARK-RED.jpg

HA! Very cool! I had wondered if something like this existed but just have never looked. That is really a great idea just as long as it is roomy enough to get the warm air that your torso creates down to your feet, which isn't a problem in most normal bags.

offroad_nomad

Adventurer
. . . then there's the down vs. synthetic considerations too.

If I'm heading out and the forecast calls for a good likelihood of rain, my down bag stays home. I haven't run into many problems with my down bag and bivy sack in snow. And there have been many warm nights I've only used a lightweight fleece blanket.

ddog45

Adventurer
Try "Wiggy's" sleeping bags they are great if you stop by the factory in Grand Junction Colorado the owner will give you sweet deals. I their mummy bags while I was a wilderness ranger in Washington and now I use there "hunter" rectangle bags in the chaser. I would buy more of them if I had a reason to.

paulj

Expedition Leader
If you aren't pushing the cold limits of your sleeping bag, wearing it quilt-style reduces the roll over problem. Unzip the bag most of the way; stick your feet in the toe box, and drape the rest over you.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I have a wide bag and like it. It will get cold spots that you roll over into but the ability to roll and move is nice.

dms1

Explorer
For winter camping I use a Cabelas Summit II sleeping bag, comes in several sizes and cold ratings, mummy or retangular and are flannel lined. They arent the smallest or lightest but they do keep me and my wife warm in the winter.

I give two thumbs up.

Disco0311

Observer
I really like my military sleeping bags, the price is right for 3 conectable bags, they are a summer one, a winter one and you can connect both with a gortex bag for more insulation, they seem to be very large also; I'm 5'7 and there is still more space at the bottom. Good luck in your search.

computeruser

Explorer
For warmer weather camping I prefer a rectangular flannel lined sleeping bag.
Coleman, Slumberjack and Cabela's make extra long sleeping bags for people > 6-feet.

There are also wider mummy type bags available

+1. If you are 6' or taller, buy a long bag. If you're going flannel lined, make sure it is wide, too. If not, you should be able to twist/rotate just fine in a slippery, non-flannel rectangular bag. Flannel is nice if you sleep in shorts or less. Slippery polyester is nice if you sleep clothed, especially if you wear fleece or sweats; fleece on flannel is like a low-strength Velcro! I usually sleep in my jeans or BDU pants, so I can get away with flannel but prefer poly lining for ease of movement.

I'm 6' 240lb, and have been plenty content with my Slumberjack Talon Long, a very long rectangular bag that weighs 2.4lbs and is rated to 40*. And it packs down to a size that would fit comfortably inside a soccer ball with room to spare. It is long enough to completely pull over my head and the top can be cinched down a bit like a mummy bag for colder nights. It gives me enough room in the shoulders and hips to be very comfortable, and provides enough room in the leg-foot area for both of our pugs to sleep in there...which serves to turn it into a very well heated 40* bag; one pug works best, though.

DSCF1207Medium.jpg

jham

Adventurer
i have a marmot, a kelty, and a sierra designs bag. all are mummy, all compact small enough for backpacking. small packing size was my first requirement.

The marmot and the sierra designs have made several africa trips and have held up nicely to travel, beating, and consistent packing and unpacking. Marmot is down, and is rated at 0 degrees. Sierra designs and the kelty are both synthetic, rated at 0 degrees and 20 degrees respectively. For warmer weather camping, I use a blanket or a flannel bag.

Determine your exact uses for the bag before buying. Bag options are wide enough to allow you to purchase a bag that will meet your needs better than a general purpose bag.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94