Comb Ridge, Utah....Motos & Ruins Sept. 06

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Just a quick little report on a long day trip a buddy and I took late last month...with a 7 week old, I've found that my opportunities to get away are a bit shorter these days, so I've been looking for nice out of the way places closer to home....

Hearing rumors of a fantastic set of Anasazi ruins outside of Bluff, UT, my Mexico motorcycle friend David and I set off early one late September morning...David usually rides a sweet 2002 Triumph Tiger, but it had met a juniper tree earlier in the month, and was down for some cosmetic front end replacement....so he's on his 1978 BMW R100S and I'm on my 2003 BMW R1150GS Adventure.

We cross the Navajo reservation of Northern Arizona, stopping in Kayenta in search of a good mutton sandwich...got Mutton? Well, we didn't find any, but did have a good lunch at a nice local cafe!

101255734-M.jpg

Full of fried chicken and beef, we hit the dirt South of Bluff, Utah. Nice roads! You can go entirely too fast on a bike...we keep up under 40-45mph.

101255735-M.jpg

The ruins are part of Comb Ridge, which extends several hundred miles...an ancient anticline which has eroded over the millenia, and provides an excellent place for the Anasazi to build complex, secure living quarters!

Monument Valley can be seen in the distance.

101255752-M.jpg

We park the bikes, chain 'em together, and find a footpath down into the Chinle Creek valley.

101255770-M.jpg

As we round the corner of an overhang....we get our first view of the site. :yikes:

101259801-M.jpg

Remembering to treat each site with the utmost respect; staying off walls and not removing or moving any items, we carefully explore the ruins. Corn cobs and the remnants of thatched rooflines abound, and the view of the valley below is awe inspiring.

101255764-M.jpg

101255772-M.jpg

The 1000+ vertical feet hike out burns our quads...but the views, and exploration was all worth a nice day trip!

101255775-M.jpg

Cheers!

-H-

seth_js

Explorer
Hltoppr said:
Just a quick little report on a long day trip a buddy and I took late last month...with a 7 week old, I've found that my opportunities to get away are a bit shorter these days, so I've been looking for nice out of the way places closer to home....

Hearing rumors of a fantastic set of Anasazi ruins outside of Bluff, UT, my Mexico motorcycle friend David and I set off early one late September morning...David usually rides a sweet 2002 Triumph Tiger, but it had met a juniper tree earlier in the month, and was down for some cosmetic front end replacement....so he's on his 1978 BMW R100S and I'm on my 2003 BMW R1150GS Adventure.

We cross the Navajo reservation of Northern Arizona, stopping in Kayenta in search of a good mutton sandwich...got Mutton? Well, we didn't find any, but did have a good lunch at a nice local cafe!

101255734-M.jpg

Amigo Cafe!

Man, great day trip. Gonna have to check it out next time I'm up that way.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
I'm partial to the Burger King in Kayenta myself.

I will make note of the Amigo Cafe for future visits to the Navajo Nation. I recently heard there is supposed to be some great steak place in Mexican Hat. Someone mentioned they saw it on a food or travel show...?

Superb photos Hltoppr and a nice backyard. Cool ruins. That 78 BMW looks like it would be a blast to ride out there.
Hope the late night feedings aren't wearing you out. Glad to see you were able to sneak away for a day - :088:

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
I forget the name of the steakhouse, but it was on Alton Brown's show on the Food Network, "Feasting on Asphalt", where he and some buddies did a backroad (paved) trip across the US, finding local eateries along the way.

-H-

Andrew, those photos are suberb!!! :luxhello:

I absolutely love the Comb Ridge, and seeing as how one of my passions is Anasazai archeology and culture, those hidden ruins really make my heart a' flutter!

A great book to read about the Comb Ridge: "Sandstone Spine" by David Roberts. About 3 friends who hike the entire length of the Ridge.

Awesome----look forward to seeing you at the Trophy!

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Sweet pics Hltoppr!

I live for that kind of stuff! That ruin site has been on my radar for a while now.

I was due north of that ruin site and set up camp along the San Juan River, early Sept. '06. I've considered looking for that site, but I don't want to park my truck and hike a long way in, and leave my truck vunerable to vandals.

So.....to be "on topic".........a couple pics of "Comb Ridge" due north of you about 30 miles or so, north of the San Juan River.

2006_0919Summerinthesanjuans0014.jpg

You can see the Abajo Peaks in the background of this pic.....
2006_0919Summerinthesanjuans0012.jpg

(I tried to post them as attachments, but it won't accept and says they are too large....and I just don't want to resize Every pic I want to post. Maybe we can ask for a larger availibility for posting/accepting attachment style pics.)

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Yep, I was up there earlier this summer, during the monsoon season....the roads north of Bluff were mostly washed out....with 30 yards of 3' deep water in some crossings...I had to turn back on the bike.

84146726-M.jpg

-H-

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Cool..... I love that whole area!

In my second pic, I was heading south along the Comb Ridge wash trail trying to get down to the San Juan River. But as you get closer to the river, the trail becomes little used and more of a quad trail by then. Overgrown with really bad Utah Pinstriping branches! They look worse than AZ Pinstripers!

I carry clippers with me just in case.....but I would have needed a hedge trimmer and a full days work to get to the river from there.

Jeff.............

Since you showed up for the Colorado Gathering........I would be willing to share my "hafta hurt ya if I told ya where it is campsite" in SE Utah. Let me know if you are interested! The canyoneering up there is extreme!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Scenic WonderRunner

After looking over your pics more......I see another prominent SE Utah landmark right above your bike....that I bet nobody noticed!

Bears Ears!..........
101255735-M.jpg

...and here I am a few miles north of you much closer to Bears Ears on Cedar Mesa and the Mormon Trail.....
2006_0919Summerinthesanjuans0046.jpg

Right between the Ears!
2006_0919Summerinthesanjuans0036.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke