New to me F350

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
Just for grins -- I just bought an 2001 F350 Super Duty Lariat crew cab, 4X4 short bed with 7.3L turbodiesel and automatic transmission - shift on the fly 4WD. 65,000 miles on the clock. Very clean, never towed anything large -- no brake controller, no fifth wheel hitch.

Planning on some immediate upgrades...

1. Larger tranny cooler from 6.0L Super Duty and transmission fluid filter

2. EGT and transmission temp gauges

3. Ford Severe Duty Air Induction System and filter

4. Possible swap to Dynatrac FE bearings, spindles, and Warn premium hubs

5. Will install spray-on bed liner, and build an ARE cap for hauling my dogs and gear.

Planning on a good road truck for hauling my Airstream or horse trailer, with moderate rough country capability.

M

locrwln

Expedition Leader
On # 3 I recommend adding the "fender sleeve" also. Mine, without any mods would pull the restricter guage in pretty good without it. I love the AIS system, I just think the "snorkle" is too small for an engine of that size.

I would have to look through my receipts at home to be to tell you where I got it, but my truck likes the extra air flow much better. It will easily spin to redline now vs. before where it would struggle the last few hundred rpm.

Also, I welded in a Walker BTM, in place of the stock muffler, opens up the exhaust, cheap ($50ish), no drone or loud exhaust noises.

Jack

P.S. I would recommend throwing an extra CPS sensor in the glove box and an extra gas pedal. If either one of those go out, you are done, no jerry rigging around those. The CPS is like $20 and the extra gas pedal is around $120, without a discount. Same 10mm socket works on both.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
321421416_778e4cda62.jpg

...no seriously please post pics :)

Last edited:

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
Thanks, Jack. I have seen the foam sleeve/cut-out mod and thought I would go that way if the Ford AIS was still too restrictive.

Electronic accelerator pedal... hummm never thought about that.

M.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Thanks, Jack. I have seen the foam sleeve/cut-out mod and thought I would go that way if the Ford AIS was still too restrictive.

Electronic accelerator pedal... hummm never thought about that.

M.

I would recommend installing the fender sleeve when you are doing the initial install, save yourself the time. Worth the $20ish dollars.

Yeah I found out the hard way on Christmas Eve at 9:00pm on I5 just outside Ashland, OR during a snow storm about the Electronic Accelerator Pedal. My truck only had 76k miles. The really scary part is that it has been to the tip of Baja and back three times including an awful lot of the west and sometimes in some very remote spots. Not something I ever thought about.

Jack

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Not to threadjack, but I looked for one of those trucks for a while but couldn't find a clean one like yours. Most of them that were for sale were beat. Nobody wants to sell the good ones! Soooo, I found a mint 92 350 in Oakland and snapped it up! Half the price and I love it! I have added a pic of the truck and one with our off-road camping rig. Maybe the pics will help till you post yours...:sombrero:

Attachments

• DSCN0083_1.JPG
    DSCN0083_1.JPG
    974.9 KB · Views: 142
  • DSC_0044.JPG
    DSC_0044.JPG
    732.9 KB · Views: 115

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
Very clean and handsome truck!

I will try to shoot some photos of mine in the next few say.

I had an '83 F250 HD 6.9L that I bought new. Thing is still on the road in Oregon! With care they will last a very long time.

Mike

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Thanks Mike! Look forward to pics of yours. We are trying to sell our house and do a year or more with the truck/trailer. I think there is something to be said for the simplicity of older rigs, (with a/c of course...).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94