Two-Burner Backpacking Stoves

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
I'm curious to find a lightweight and compact two-burner backpacking stove.

Any Suggestions?

Does anyone have any experience with either of these Colemans?

I'm focused on weight and space, so a traditional two-burner camping box stove is not the answer.

Thanks
Brian

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Based on my years of backpacking I would honestly say that you are way way better off with 2 quality single burners if you REALLY feel you need a 2 burner setup.
If we are talking real backpacking then wgt is the monster issue and I have never wanted an extra burner since I plan my meals to be simple, quick and light.
Before I bought the FJC I was in ultralight mode and used a tablet stove and ate all the freezedried and hot choc I could want without any trouble.
My other backpack stove is a Coleman 442 multi-fuel (not sure of the # exactly) and I love it due to the fact that it fits in a kettle and holds a ton of fuel....but not as light as the tablet setup.

If I was going back to the backpacking route I would go with the trusty MSR whisperlite running liq fuel and just buy 2 if I REALLY felt I needed dual burners.

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
I was thinking of that as an option too Lance, just going two good single burners. The application will be for the vehicle based camp kitchen.

I have a small Snow Peak stove, an MSR Whisperlite and a JetBoil single unit.

I am trying to apply the fast and light backpacking practices to the more traditional vehicle based platform, therefor reducing weight and saving space.

I'm also not a huge fan of the canister fuel due to the wasted canisters. Refillable seems better but then again the Whisperlite scares me every time I light it!

Brian

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
optipic88.jpg

I have always wanted to try a couple of these as my car setup....but I am trying to curb my gear buying (yeah right) so I have held off so far:)
I have to say that when it comes to year in & year out quality service it has been my coleman 442 multi-fuels that have never failed me and can run on unleaded it I run out of white gas.

Just this weekend we were on a Boy Scout trip and tried out my son's new MSR whisperlite, yeah I forgot what a noisy flaming beast they were :)

spressomon

Expedition Leader
optipic88.jpg

I have always wanted to try a couple of these as my car setup....but I am trying to curb my gear buying (yeah right) so I have held off so far:)
I have to say that when it comes to year in & year out quality service it has been my coleman 442 multi-fuels that have never failed me and can run on unleaded it I run out of white gas.

Just this weekend we were on a Boy Scout trip and tried out my son's new MSR whisperlite, yeah I forgot what a noisy flaming beast they were :)

Yeah...it makes you wonder who named it and why they called it the "Whisperlite" ;). But compared to the MSR GK I guess it is quiet...sorta.

I have a small Snow Peak and an MSR Reactor. The Reactor is a great stove if all you need to do is boil water. I've camped a lot where that's all I needed a stove to do. I posted in Scott's expedition definition topic about the concept of ultra-light vehicle based adventures and the equipment choices. I'd really like to see a discussion start about equipment choices specifically for this type of backcountry travel.

roamingaz

Explorer
I was trying to decide the same thing recently, I didn't want a normal 2 burner stove, I needed small and light. After alot of trips to REI and Cabelas looking at the displays and reading reviews online I purchased the new Brunton Vapor-AF.
This stove will burn anything from butane canisters or any liquid fuel available, I love the versatility it offers.
When I was at overland expo I used it for every meal, overall it worked well but the winds were bad so I dont think it performed as well as it could. I do want another stove as a back up as well as for when I want 2 burners.
I have narrowed my search for a second stove to the Jetboil, Jetboil Helious, MSR dragonfly. Basicly my second stove will be just for boiling water to make coffee or for freeze dried meals.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
IMHO two stoves would be a better choice. That way if you want to you can cut down on gear even more.

The Optimas stoves may be noisy but the are tough and reliable. I'm still using the Optimus Svea 123 I bought in 1973.

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
IMHO two stoves would be a better choice. That way if you want to you can cut down on gear even more.

The Optimas stoves may be noisy but the are tough and reliable. I'm still using the Optimus Svea 123 I bought in 1973.

Lance had a picture and a comment that were unrelated to one another. The picture is an Optima stove but the Whisperlite is made by MSR. When you light the MSR you need to prime the burner which includes lighting a pool of fuel so that you get a 12 inch open flame before the burner ignites and when it does it sounds like a jet engine!

rusty_tlc

Explorer
Lance had a picture and a comment that were unrelated to one another. The picture is an Optima stove but the Whisperlite is made by MSR. When you light the MSR you need to prime the burner which includes lighting a pool of fuel so that you get a 12 inch open flame before the burner ignites and when it does it sounds like a jet engine!
Yeah the technique is the same for a Svea, the "ball of flame" :sombrero:.
One difference between the Svea and Whisperlight is that heat from the flame generates pressure in the Svea fuel tank so there is no pumping or pump to fail.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke