Tarp/Shade questions...

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I'm planning to use a simple 6x8' tarp for shade on my 4x4 (96 Montero).

I don't want to buy a full blown retractable awning for a variety of reasons (cost, mounting, size, use, etc) especially since I'll be doing both expedition style wheeling & rock crawling and a 'mounted' unit will be a bigger pain in the rear than I want to deal with.

That said, I'm hoping to use a simpler setup with tarp attached to my roof rack on one side and 2 poles on the other side anchored to the ground.

Are there any preferences / pro's / con's of either the rain proofed plastic or canvas tarps?

Are the ones found at most hardware stores good enough or should I be looking for other types/brands?

Just figure I ought to check before I buy one.

TIA.

X2 Funny you should ask this... I want to buy a new tarp (they are like duct tape and zip ties, you should always have some :D), but I was wondering if there are "good ones" and "crappy ones." I usually get them at Harbor Freight, but they only seem to last a few months. I like canvas tarps, but they are way to heavy...

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
X2I like canvas tarps, but they are way too heavy...
At the opposite end of the spectrum are silicon-coated nylon tarps (siltarps) which don't weigh hardly anything--under 2 pounds for an 8x10--and fold up into little pouches. You buy them at backpacking places; hardcore hikers sometimes make use them for shelter in lieu of carrying a tent.

Camper Mog has a giant canvas awning for protecting you from Sahara weather, but the sucker weighs a ton and takes forever to deploy. I soon bought a couple of adjustable height poles and a siltarp and used carabiners to attach its grommets to the roof rack eyebolts and now have a functional awning I can have up in two minutes.

Two problems with siltarps, however. The tarps will set you back, oh, about 10 times what the same-size Harbor Freight model would cost. And they are so light, they move around a lot in the wind. They're strong enough not to rip, but they'll get to flappin' around pretty easy.

justfred

Adventurer
Sound and durability

In a heavy wind:
- plastic Harbor Freight tarp goes "FWAP! FWAP! FWAP! FWAP!", and then rips to shreds.
- canvas tarp goes "(mumble, mumble, mumble)", and stays intact.

I've got military surplus oiled canvas tarps that are who knows how old, and their condition is indistinguishable from when I bought them. They're heavy and they smell funky, but.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
At the opposite end of the spectrum are silicon-coated nylon tarps (siltarps) which don't weigh hardly anything--under 2 pounds for an 8x10--and fold up into little pouches. You buy them at backpacking places; hardcore hikers sometimes make use them for shelter in lieu of carrying a tent.

I've been using the Nylon water proof tarps for years and they hold up great in strong winds and rain. Those with a pair of adjustable poles and a few guy lines per pole work great. Attach to the roof rack of my truck with either caribiners or bungee loops.

They are not really good in the washing machine though because of the water proof thing. :Wow1:

>

HopLite

I have used the silver plastic tarps with some success. I zip-tied one end to the roof rack. The opposite free end I secured to a length of PVC pipe. The PVC added rigidity and was hollow allowing a storage spot for the poles. When stowed...the poles went into the pvc pipe, the pipe was rolled up like a burrito and laid on the inside of the roof rack where it was tightly bungied in place. It could have been bungied to the outside, but I did not want to leave to chance a bungie loosening and the whole thing getting ripped off in the wind while driving. Stowing within the roof rack minimizes this. (Note...my roof rack is 8' long) When 'deployed' the PVC burrito was unrolled and left to hang while the poles were removed. With the tarp horizontal and the poles in place, the weight and stiffness of the PVC pipe aided in minimizing the movement from wind and helped give stability to the supporting poles.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

I use the Heavy Duty Silver/Brown Tarps from Wal~Mart. And two adjustable tent poles. If I got two more tent poles I could make it a drive in/out shelter, for more than one night in one place. That would make it easier for longer stays. In cold weather I carry more than one tarp so I can wall off the sides.

Additional Idea: I have a tarp that I can lay down over the tailgate to the ground to keep the cold wind from blowing in from under the truck during winter.

2006_0919Summerinthesanjuans0094.jpg

(cell phone pic)
SWREasyShade.jpg

Go Bigger! Bigger is better!

Last edited by a moderator:

1leg

Explorer
i got 15 bucks into my tarp shade. I had everything i need in the garage except 2 Adj, tent poles.

n1436482297_30100225_4146066.jpg

n1436482297_30100224_7545306.jpg

n1436482297_30100222_6077921.jpg

S

Scenic WonderRunner

I have a cordura shade sold by Springbar: http://www.springbar.com/shop/proddetail.php?prod=43990003

It costs a bit more than a blue tarp setup initially, but it will probably last 10 times longer and it looks nicer.

What IF............One does NOT Want a Rack on Top of their Rig?

Personally......I have No Need for a rack. Nor do I want one.

I Just LOVE....my SILVER TARP!!!!:costumed-smiley-007

Now just where is my Silver Tarp Smilie when I need him>?!!!!:sombrero::victory::costumed-smiley-007:ylsmoke:

S

Scenic WonderRunner

I'm planning to use a simple 6x8' tarp for shade on my 4x4 (96 Montero).

I don't want to buy a full blown retractable awning for a variety of reasons (cost, mounting, size, use, etc) especially since I'll be doing both expedition style wheeling & rock crawling and a 'mounted' unit will be a bigger pain in the rear than I want to deal with.

That said, I'm hoping to use a simpler setup with tarp attached to my roof rack on one side and 2 poles on the other side anchored to the ground. Are there any preferences / pro's / con's of either the rain proofed plastic or canvas tarps?

Are the ones found at most hardware stores good enough or should I be looking for other types/brands?

Just figure I ought to check before I buy one.

TIA.

Yo.........

Please refer to the OP........

Sorry Bryan......same moment post.

Just sayin'

Yes You know I love it!.......:costumed-smiley-007:elkgrin::ylsmoke:

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior