Thread: Pre-report/Teaser: Chasing Hot Springs across the Great Basin

Default Pre-report/Teaser: Chasing Hot Springs across the Great Basin

Just a quick teaser I thought I'd post about my first ExPo coordinated trip. Met with Jan (Canuck Mariner) and Bob (not sure what handle he posts under) as well as Bob's friend Sue, and we spent the better part of a week chasing hot springs across the Great Basin.

Starting/meeting point was at Spencer Hot Springs near Austin, NV (pretty much smack in the center of the state) and from there we worked our way Northwest, eventually ending up at the famous Black Rock Desert in Northwestern Nevada (site of the annual Burning Man festival as well as the site of the 1997 world Land Speed record, a record that still has not been broken.) From there we continued through the very picturesque High Rock Canyon and northward into Oregon.

I broke off from the group on the morning of Thursday, May 28th, near the Alvord Desert in Southern Oregon, but they were still going strong.

Here are a few "teaser" photos, will post more when time permits.

Here's the group on the morning after I met them at Spencer Hot Springs.

Vehicles were: My '04 Tacoma, Bob's highly modified 84 FJ-60 (converted to diesel/5 speed), Sue's 94 FZJ-80, and Jan's JDM 1990 HZJ-75 SWB.

One of the few stretches of paved road we hit coming out of Austin:

Group photo at the first playa (dry lake bed) we crossed. This one was small, maybe 6-8 miles across:

One of the many natural hot springs we visited:

A small (and I emphasize, small) portion of the Black Rock desert: Only about 15 miles across at this point (the little speck in the center is Jan's HZJ):

Campsite near Double Hot Springs, in the Black Rock:

Wild Horses, Northwest of Hardin City site, northern part of the Black Rock:

Last view of the Black Rock:

Bog Hot Springs:

Sunset at Bog Hot Springs:

Last edited by Martinjmpr; 05-30-2009 at 05:42 PM.
    Martin AKA Zapp Branigan KD0PHH
    2007 Toyota 4runner SR5, 4.0 V6. FJC lift, FJC black steelies, 255/75/17 BFG MTs & custom front bumper!

Wife's Vehicle: 1995 YJ "Captain Morgan", 4 cyl, 5 speed

And our Homebuilt Teardrop Trailer "Bubbles!"Other Rides: 2002 BMW R1150R; 1996 Mazda B2300 4x2 (Daily Driver)

"I am the Man with No Name - Zapp Branigan!"

I'd really like to know more about the FJ60 diesel / 5 spd conversion; sounds like a great project path for one of those vehciles. Any way to get in touch w/ him or ask him to post up about it?
    '94 80 LC
    www.cottonlandcruisers.com
    I may not have the answer, but I believe I have a plan - J. Browne

Quote Originally Posted by TroutBear View Post
    I'd really like to know more about the FJ60 diesel / 5 spd conversion; sounds like a great project path for one of those vehciles. Any way to get in touch w/ him or ask him to post up about it?
    Bob posts here, just not sure of his handle. I think he'll be back on line Monday evening or some time Tuesday.
    Martin AKA Zapp Branigan KD0PHH
    2007 Toyota 4runner SR5, 4.0 V6. FJC lift, FJC black steelies, 255/75/17 BFG MTs & custom front bumper!

Wife's Vehicle: 1995 YJ "Captain Morgan", 4 cyl, 5 speed

And our Homebuilt Teardrop Trailer "Bubbles!"Other Rides: 2002 BMW R1150R; 1996 Mazda B2300 4x2 (Daily Driver)

"I am the Man with No Name - Zapp Branigan!"

Very cool! We'll be heading into the same area at the end of this week. I can't wait
    ~ Ali !
    '96 Toyota FZJ80
    '02 Kamparoo

Real Nice.

Keep it coming.

Sounds like a great trip. Can't wait to hear and see the full write-up.
    2001 Range Rover 4.6L SE (SD rack, ladder, Warn xd9000ce, steering guard, axle guard, diff guard, sliders, coils, 33in KM2s... no chrome)
    2006 LR3 SE (ARB front bumper, Superwinch, roof rack, front skid, Sasquatch rods)
    1985 E30S52 (1985 318i w/ 1998 M3 drivetrain, OBDI, 5-lug conversion)
    ExPo #2924