1991 Cummins Suburban

adventurspirit

Hey Spur, love the build. I've recently started a similar build with my 87 suburban 4x4. I should have a very similar setup. I know that you went through some hassle to get your leaf springs. I was hoping you could pass on your final weights so that I could get an estimate from alcan on some custom springs.

Spur

Adventurer
Hey Spur, love the build. I've recently started a similar build with my 87 suburban 4x4. I should have a very similar setup. I know that you went through some hassle to get your leaf springs. I was hoping you could pass on your final weights so that I could get an estimate from alcan on some custom springs.

Sorry I never answered this. I haven't been on the forum in a while.

Front: 3780
Rear 4540

Total 8320

That's a good starting point, but keep in mind, your final weight could be very different from mine. I wouldn't want to spend a bunch of money on custom springs without knowing what MY vehicle's weight is.

Denny T

Awesome ride!

Ive been hovering over this website (mostly this thread) for over a year, spent 15 minutes joining, spent about 10 minutes getting my user settings just right.............all because of this suburban and the want to express my liking for it. Just wanted to say great work! Im following directly in your footsteps. Dennis

bftank

Explorer
glad to have you on here denny t. there are quite a few sweet first gens here. i my self will probably be giving you a call for one of your fuel pins if i ever get this cummins in the crewcab.

update pics spur? chili will be sad if you don't post any. probably spam your thread with his famous beer drinking pic. haha!

Renntag

Adventurer
This is culled from earlier in the thread, sorry for the re-hash. I am slowly digesting this build write up as I am starting one of my own in Virginia.
I am looking for a solution to long term axle/drivetrain durability, so this is important to me currently.

Just for info, not for correction purposes, to inform everyone cuz it too me a while to figure this one out..
CUCV blazers (m1009) came with 10 bolts with 3.08 gears a gov loc in the rear and are considered a 3/4 ton truck.
The CUCV truck (m1008) has the d-60 and is considered a 5/4 ton truck, came with 4.56 gears and a detroit in the rear 14 bolt. B E E F !!

This is good info. I verified this via wikipedia (assuming the info there is credible).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commercial_Utility_Cargo_Vehicle

This seems like a good donor for axles and Hydro boost. Thanks for the upgrade.

jdinevens

Adventurer
This is culled from earlier in the thread, sorry for the re-hash. I am slowly digesting this build write up as I am starting one of my own in Virginia.
I am looking for a solution to long term axle/drivetrain durability, so this is important to me currently.

This is good info. I verified this via wikipedia (assuming the info there is credible).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commercial_Utility_Cargo_Vehicle

This seems like a good donor for axles and Hydro boost. Thanks for the upgrade.

YUP! the 14 Bolt is a pretty common swap axle because of just that...all that beef, the problem being is that its also a boat anchor (it hangs low and catches on rocks) pirate4x4 is actually a really good source of info for that stuff also. look in the tech section where bellavista has some really great articles on the 14 bolt and the D60. I wish spur would post of so we could see how he/his rig is doing....

Spur

Adventurer
Howdy y'all. It's been a while. I thought I would resurrect this thread and try to update it a bit. I'd like to get back into posting here. There are some issues with the thread right now. A lot of the photo links are broken. I had pulled links from the Krawltex website. The owner of Krawltex sold and started a new business in Las Vegas called Nefarious Kustoms. There is a link to his build notes on his new website. http://www.nefariouskustoms.com/gallery/Expedition-Vehicles/Jake-s-12V-Suburban Unfortunately, the new owner didn't maintain the Krawltex website and the links are dead. I'm in the process of going through and fixing all the links.

A quick update on where I'm at with the truck: It was my daily driver for almost 2 years. I took a few great trips in it, but I don't travel like I used to. Work keeps me very busy and travelling a lot, so I try to be home as much as I can. The truck has been reliable. I haven't been stranded once. I've had a few problems that have needed fixing, but nothing catastrophic. The Suburban is mostly just a hunting and ranch truck these days, and it does a damn fine job at it.

There are a few things I'd still like to do, some of which have been nagging small things for years:

1. Automatic steps. The truck is really tall and it's hard for my wife to get in and out.
2. Change to 4.56 gears. The 4.10 are great for highway, but I don't drive it on the highway much anymore.
3. Finish up some of the interior pieces like the dual battery system and the stereo.

Here are a couple photos of my garage today.

My wife's 79 FJ - I drive it whenever my wife will let me :)

Woofwagon

Adventurer
Excellent documentation of your project! I had thought of doing the Cummins engine swap for mine, but the additional work was beyond my facilities to do the job right. I went with a Cadillac engine instead, negating the need for a complete powertrain swap. Kudos for all the pictures!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles