The new steel horse... KTM 1.0

sinuhexavier

Explorer
With the help of Tim, Scott and Stephanie, I recently acquired a 2004 KTM 625 SXC with 1800 miles and 66 hours on it. I will be keeping it in Prescott for quick access to trails and Southern Utah... We'll see how long that lasts...

No huge plans for it as of now, need to put a larger tank on it, get the gearing dialed in, figure out my luggage system and I should be ready to roll.

KTMs%20(4).jpg

KTMs%20(1).jpg

KTMs%20(2).jpg

So this thread will be about taking the bike from a serious single track slayer and bringing it just a touch into the dual sport world... Not too far though.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
So this thread will be about taking the bike from a serious single track slayer and bringing it just a touch into the dual sport world... Not too far though.

Isn't it a dual sport (street legal) already?

How wide is your "single track" out there? Nobody uses those on single track up here, at least not seriously. Nice bike, seems perfect for your area, that bike is more for wide open spaces.

Looks like it really needs a good skid plate under the engine. I have the Moose Racing one for mine. You really need some coverage up the sides of the case. One bad fall on a rock and you take out the clutch cover and then you're up the creek. And do those hand guards have a metal spine, or all plastic? Also suggest radiator guards, Moose Racing again there for me and have worked out really well. If you are going to be riding any single track, you really need to armor up. Looks like there aren't too many choices for that bike though.

Last edited:

jesusgatos

Explorer
Isn't it a dual sport (street legal) already?

How wide is your "single track" out there? Nobody uses those on single track up here, at least not seriously.
I know one guy that slayed the singletrack on a 640 Adventure, but he sold it and bought a 525. Definitely not the best choice for technical trailriding. Awesome bike though, for what it is. I had an old LC4 400 for a while, and if it was a 620/640 I probably would have kept it.

sinuhexavier

Explorer
KTMs%20(7).jpg
KTM 950 ADV navigating a rock garden...

I thought it was pretty nimble on the single track, a lot more than I expected. So much so, that I would hesitate to go back to my previous ride which was a Yamaha 400 YZF.

sinuhexavier

Explorer
I guess I'll find out... For being my first time back on a bike in 9 years it felt great, I did get into way tighter singletrack than that and had a blast. The 950 was certainly slower but he made it through... Is it the best bike for it? probably not, but I wouldn't hesitate taking it on anything I've ridden my 400 on at this point and I can cruise at 80MPH on the highway.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader

jesusgatos

Explorer
That looks amazing Rob. Gotta come get some of that. There was actually a guy on a KX500 on that ride with us, but he was pretty worked by the end of the day and that's still a MUCH lighter bike than any of the big 4-strokes. Sorry to take this thread off-topic. I don't think either of us were trying to say that you can't ride trails on that 640, there are just some places that I wouldn't want to take it (but I'd love to see you try - haha).

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
And the Ganny is actually pretty "wide open" compared to some of the trails I've done. Usually during Hare Scrambles or Enduros there's some sections of "fresh" trails that are pretty crazy. I think most people would be faster on a 125 than a 250 or 450. Some of the guys setting them up are pretty masochistic. Trees closer than the handlebars.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Jesus, I just looked at all the pictures in your post, pretty great ride you had. Reminds me of Calabogie I did last year. Peaks not as high, but lots of rock ridges and such. I noticed one of the guys in your group had what appears to be a trials tire on the back. How did that work out? It's something that enduro guys are experimenting with more, and I'm interested in trying it myself.

Did you get your bike fixed? I feel your pain. I took my front fork apart last week to address an oil seal leak, and discovered the cause of the problem. I dropped it hard on some rocks and dented the outter tube right where the fork seal sits, and scratched the steel tube. $1100 for new parts. Generally bikes are WAY cheaper than... any other form of motorsports. But sometimes replacement parts prices are way outta line. $1100 for a single fork tube, when the whole bike was only $6400.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne