Father & Son backpacking europe progress

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Quick hi to the forum from Europe as Nathan my older son & I backpack across various countries. Yeah it isn't really the type of trip to report on here but we are seeing really cool stuff!

Sorry no pics yet but lots of rig sightings...
Defender 110's
G-wagens that are set up for real travel not mall crawling
VW's
and stuff I can't id....of course all of it whips by faster than I can pull out my camera!
Went to a cool store called Globetrotter (google the website).....REI on steroids camping plus overland stuff....I almost bought some zarges cases cuz the prices were great. Saw some other cool kitchen stuff, nice clothes, and other goodies I will look at in more detail when we return to Berlin to fly home.

all for now other than to say I forgot how much I loved a backpack, hostels, public transport and seeing new places without the worries of running an org at the same time :)

I will post some pics soon, especially in after we hit the offroad show here in Germany next weekend.
Lance

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
What do you mean "Not the type of trip" to be posted here? All is welcome...and pics are expected! :coffeedrink:

Have fun!

-H-

Sgt Grunt

Adventurer
What parts are you traveling through??? Have a great time... Like the others have said please post pictures! :sombrero:

1leglance

This is not meant to be a full trip report but more a series of tease photos and extended captions. Partly because I would rather spend our time seeing things and partly because the hostels we are staying at tend to not have the best net connection.

For those of you who don’t know my son Nathan is 18 and just graduated from High School, we started saving when he started high school for some kind of trip for just him and me. The idea was to have a trip where he is the adult in charge and I have to learn to transition my relationship from adult father – minor child to adult child. He has the money, he makes the major decisions and I just give my thoughts but just as I would to a buddy vs. telling my “kid” what to do.

Our trip is your classic backpack around Europe, staying at hostels, using our Eurorail pass to jump place to place, talking with other young travelers (thank goodness I don’t look my 39yrs) and trying to stay out of trouble.
I am keeping notes in a journal I bought around a year ago just for this trip. It is used and from the early 1900’s. I will start each update with a quote which should highlight the “then vs. now” or “how the more things change the more they stay the same”.

For our first real report “The most convenient way to carry money is in the form of travelers’ checks or letters of credit.” That was then, now a debit card allows you to remove cash in the local currency at the rate of the day without worries about street changers ripping you off.

eurotrip_7.jpg

This is my journal, well worn but still serviceable and just the right size. Of course I have the modern tech with me so that I can get calls, text, email and surf the web all over civilized Western Europe.

eurotrip_8.jpg

The early 20’maps were worth the purchase not only for the history lesson but in the quality of the printing and how well quality stands the test of time.

eurotrip_9.jpg

The paper is a touch glossy for my fountain pen but not sure if that is age related or paper related. No matter as I just have to make sure a page dries before I close the journal. And yes I do write with a fountain pen in my daily life so it is not as if I am putting on airs for this trip. The pen is a Namiki clickable pen that makes using a fountain pen a breeze. Although my ink bottle and syringe did give the US security folks fits. But I got through with some fast talking and handwriting samples.
Nathan is not really a journal person (yeah I have gifted him a few over the years), I think you are either born to scribble or not, but at least he has the travel bug and who really cares if he writes himself notes or takes pics.

eurotrip_1.jpg

For those who know me one of our first stops in Berlin was the La Casa del Habano, and yes Nathan does appreciate quality cigars. The shop was top notch and very nice inside.

eurotrip_2.jpg

eurotrip_3.jpg

We spied quite a few rigs on the streets of Berlin but they were all moving too fast to get pics. However in Prague we found a few to get shots of. This one is on display just under the Charles Bridge and I could find no reason for it, neither the café nearby nor any other shop.

eurotrip_4.jpg

Some rigs were clearly in use on some kind of adventures :)

eurotrip_5.jpg

As we traveled up the hills to the Prague Castle we saw this rig on the street. We weren’t able to locate the owner to chat about Czech Overlanding.

eurotrip_6.jpg

And just so you guys don’t think we didn’t enjoy the normal tourist stuff, or the abnormal for that matter, here is a pic of Nathan inside the Ossuary which is a church with all these bone sculptures inside. There is more to the story but we remembered it from scenes in “The Long Way Around”. It was an hour and half train ride, an kilometer walk and took about 30min max to take the entire place in….you decided if it is worth it if you visit the area. For us the value has been in the jokes since then more than the actual experience there.

That is all for now as we are in Venice and the canals are calling. I will leave all of you with something from the advice section of my journal that hasn’t changed in 100 yrs “The fewer the pieces of baggage and the fewer possessions a traveler takes abroad, the greater his freedom from worry and expense.” True even today, but wait till next time when I give you the suggested list of “necessities for men”.

1leglance

Last time I left you with some thoughts on carrying little baggage per my early 1920’s journal, now let’s see what fall under the “Traveling Necessities for Men” so that we can do a little then vs. now exercise.

“Evening coat, 2 white vest, dinner coat, dinner vest, evening trousers, 2 traveling suits, several white dress shirts,10 ordinary shirts, collars, handkerchiefs, underwear, pajamas, black tuxedo tie, 2 white ties, shirt studs, cuff buttons, neckties, socks, shoes, slippers, bathrobe, razor, hairbrush, bathing suit, drinking cup, wash cloth, tooth paste, cold cream, antiseptic, and blue eye glasses.”

Now let’s see what of that list I packed : several quick dry breathable REI shirts & pants (the pants have zip off legs to allow me access to my prosthetic leg), a bandana and a white handkerchief, underwear, socks, shorts to sleep in (for dorm style hostels), quick dry travel towel & washcloth, no rinse soap (good for body, hair & clothes), razor, toothbrush/paste, stainless steel cup that fits the bottom of my naglene bottle, sunglasses, spare leg sleeve, journal, fountain pen & ink bottle, netbook, phone/pda, charging adapters, travel humidor and since I arrived thanks to travel restrictions I bought a Swiss army knife (handy for everyday & cigar cutter) and lighter fluid. All this fits in a 3100cubic in backpack with room to spare and a shoulder bag (for the daily outing items).

While it is true we are not as well dressed as our counterparts almost 100 years ago we are traveling lighter and thanks to modern fabrics we need less laundry effort and space when on the move.

Now for our trip update…

eurotrip_10.jpg

While this is not a Disabled Explorers trip it is impossible not to notice the efforts to accommodate those travelers with physical mobility issues. In Venice we saw this interesting lift setup to help folks get up and over the canal bridges. We didn’t see these on every bridge but that we did notice quite a few was an inspiring thing.

eurotrip_11.jpg

Our last morning in Venice left us with a bit of time to spare so we went back to the island of Murano to watch some glass masters in action. Nathan wasn’t too into the idea until the reality of the craftsmanship became obvious. Of course this glass guitar caught his eye also. And no we didn’t see a price which just proves the old adage, “if you have to ask, it is too much”.

eurotrip_12.jpg

Each area of the world has its unique transportation issues and Venice being a series of islands has some very interesting solutions. Of course of all the times I have thought about the benefit of having a vehicle that fits in a shipping container to an overlander I never imagined that the container itself would present a problem. But necessity is the mother of invention after all.

We trained from Venice to Vienna to Munich and there are stories for another time that were born in that journey. However our late arrival to Munich really just meant a crash in the Hostel and being ready for our next day’s adventure.

eurotrip_16.jpg

We enjoyed a “free walking tour” led by a young Brit named Luke who kept an excellent balance of humor and tragedy as we explored the home of the 3rd Reich. I highly recommend this tour as the guides work for tips and they are young enough to really enjoy the outings while aware enough of the importance of the history Munich offers.

eurotrip_13.jpg

Later Nathan & I ventured over to the BMW Museum which was more of a glorified showroom than anything else. However the showroom did let us check out the newest moto’s in BMW’s adventure bike line.

eurotrip_14.jpg

Outside the museum we spied this ride which if nothing else gave us some fun laughs imagining it as an adventure rig, Maybe a mini roof top tent, some panniers, a gps and more?

eurotrip_15.jpg

Our walk back to the hostel took us by a “carpark” which has quite a few 2wd VW Westfalias and such but this Ford Transit caught my eye. Yeah it isn’t 4wd but I bet it would have some stories to tell if it could talk.

The day has ended well with me on the rooftop patio enjoying a cigar and Nathan visiting with the other young travelers staying at our hostel. I think it is this interaction that is more important than any building, museum or bit of art we may see. It is the people that make travel what it is and learning that the French, Canadian, Australian or Russian kids are both very much the same while being very different makes this life experience rich and rewarding.

kjp1969

Explorer
What a great idea- that looks like an awesome trip. My oldest will be 18 in 8 years, and I'm already thinking about starting a fund for something like this. It would be so much easier to hit Europe as a pair rather than with the whole family circus.

How long are you going to be hoofing around?

awalter

Expedition Portal Team, Overland Certified OC0003
Very nice Lance & Nathan. Am enjoying your travels to some of my old haunts.

Al

1leglance

What a great idea- that looks like an awesome trip. My oldest will be 18 in 8 years, and I'm already thinking about starting a fund for something like this. It would be so much easier to hit Europe as a pair rather than with the whole family circus.

How long are you going to be hoofing around?

We started putting a small amt away each month when nathan started high school, it was really easy to save enough to give us a 50euro/day each budget along with airfare and eurorail passes.
I agree that it is great for just 2 and more me it was critical that I transition to seeing him as an adult and let him be in charge.

My younger son is 11 and we will start saving for his trip as soon as we get home. He wants to overland somewhere and take longer, my wife wants to join us for parts of that trip so we will need a larger budget to cover her airfare and our cost.

Very nice Lance & Nathan. Am enjoying your travels to some of my old haunts.

Al

Hey Al thanks, and what took you through these parts? Fun, works, military?

awalter

Expedition Portal Team, Overland Certified OC0003
1969 was the year, it was adventure at first which then turned into work. Mostly in southern Germany & Austria. Returned to the US in 1973.

suntinez

Explorer
Our last morning in Venice left us with a bit of time to spare so we went back to the island of Murano to watch some glass masters in action.

I would love to do that ... good for you! Murano glass is world famous, a reputation well deserved.

Have a great trip guys, thanks for the updates.

milpigjk

If you make it to Heidelberg I am sure I could help you out with a few good places to get dinner and a beer. Been here two years now with the Army.

Outstanding idea, I hope my kids are interested in something like this when they get older.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94