08 Silverado Ideas

08Silverado

Adventurer
Hello!
First off I have really enjoyed browsing this forum! I truly think the good Lord intended for me to experience this great country in the fashion depicted on this website! As for my "rig" I have a 08 Silverado crew cab 4wd. I have only done a few minor modifications thus far.

Front coil spacer from daystar
40 series flowmaster with turn downs
removed front air dam/valence
just purchased masterflow mv1050 compressor

I have always wanted to have a vehicle capable of expedition style travel. This vehicle is my daily driver and will remain so for many years.

I would like everyones opinion on what modifications I should focus on in order to make this truck as versatile as possible. Keeping in mind that unfortunately this vehicle will remain on pavement most of the time.

Any thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated.

Kyle

Rot Box

Explorer
I have no experience with the new Silverado's, but hopefully I can give you a few helpfull general ideas to start with :coffeedrink: You should check this build out as this truck is similar to yours: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25957

For starters I would highly recomend recovery gear and equiptment. Tow hooks front and rear, At least 2 pull ropes (much safer than chains), D-ring shackles, a winch would be great if it fits the budget and so on. This stuff will really pay off the first time you find yourself stuck.

Next would be tires. You will want something more than the average street tire. A good set of A/T's or M/T's will really benefit you anytime you go offroad.

A decent set of tools is super important. If your truck requires any special tools or uncommon tools (theft proof lug nuts, Torx head drivers ect...) throw them in too.

Where do you plan on sleeping? RTT, shell or camper?

Anyway search around you are bound to find some really good ideas on this board :coffee:

08Silverado

Adventurer
Great ideas! I'm pretty well versed in what's out there, as I have done a lot of snooping around this site and others like it. As far as sleeping goes I'm a long time tent camper.
I've been trying to decide between two different options for the bed of my truck.

First option would be to get a tool box for the bed. I like this idea because it would allow easy storage for my ever growing tool addiction! The drawbacks include...reduction in the already smallish bed.

My second option is to put a shell on the truck. I like this idea for several reasons. More dry storage space, sleeping quarters, concealment of valuables.

The obvious economical choice would be the tool box. But the more usable choice would be the shell.

What do you recommend in both categories?

Thanks

08Silverado

Adventurer
Thought I would post some pics

I just set up a photo bucket account so I can add pictures now:wings:
Anyway I know my truck might get some ridicule for not being a worthy trail rig yet, but it is slowly on it's way! Enjoy and be gentle:victory:

DSCN0979.jpg

taken after removal of air dam

DSCN0980.jpg

closeup of air dam removed

I think this easy free mod is a must for any owner of a truck like mine, it improved my approach angle and cleans the front end up nicely.

08Silverado

Adventurer
Front Bumper

Started checking out Aluminess bumpers....what do you think about this deal for a floor model asking $1400

closeout_3_lg.jpg

Layonnn

Adventurer
Aluminess makes great aluminum bumpers. However, they tend to be some of the most expensive because of this.

08Silverado

Adventurer
Right now...no. I don't need anything more than maybe a Hi Lift set up for light recovery if the need arises. I'm just trying to look at the big picture. For now my modifications will be limited to the least expensive and biggest bang for the buck type of mods. Any suggestions?

motomech

Adventurer
If it was me, Id get me a utility type camper shell. And start building storage and sleeping quarters.The tires you have will go farther than you think on dirt roads and such. Maybe a small lift to gain some clearance? New torsion keys and a add-a-leaf for the rear.

08Silverado

Adventurer
I like your idea about the shell. As for the lift, I've installed a 2" coil spacer on the front (starting in 08 GM wised up and put coils instead of torsion bars in the front.) That 2" lift in front almost leveled the truck. I would like to get another 2-3 inches in front and back eventually. Which brings me to my next question. What would be the best way to accomplish this? I don't want to go with a standard 6" lift that you see everywhere. All I'm looking for is around a 4" total lift front and back. I think I could accomplish the rear easy enough with add a leaf or possibly entire new leaf pack. As for the front I'm not sure the best approach to take.

motomech

Adventurer
Adding a shell and all your stuff in the back will require spring capable of handling the weight. Custom springs will be pricey but the Add-a-leaf will be a lot cheaper and increase the spring rate of the stock pack.Also shocks should be on the list too.

08Silverado

Adventurer
This might be an ignorant question, but if I replaced my factory shocks in front with let's say bilstein 5100's would that provide any lift?

motomech

Adventurer
No, no lift. Shocks only stop the tire from bouncing after hitting a bump.
So the new coil springs Chevy is using? Are they on a strut type thing or are the separate like they used to be on the 2wd trucks?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles