The Cactus Red mod thread.

Prybry

Adventurer
Nice Rig! For your antenna check this post...

You might want to check out my post in the HAM section on my RAM radio install I show a antenna mount I made myself that you would be able to whip up too.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28764

What's your plan for storage in the bed?
I went with a activgate system from the Dodge dealer (although, I had to tell them what to order! they had no idea what I was talking about)
I show some pictures here...
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27528

This is one thread I going to watch... nice work..
Prybry

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
nerf/steps are done...

I still have more than 18" of clearance.

Purple Cranium sent me a wee little diff cover, and someone else got my mondo huge one.

Attachments

• nerf step 1.jpg
    nerf step 1.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 599
  • nerf step 2.jpg
    nerf step 2.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 499
  • nerf step 3.jpg
    nerf step 3.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 557
  • itsybitsyspider.jpg
    itsybitsyspider.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 662

Cypher

Full Time Traveler
Nice work on those rails Mark! The PW is looking awesome! So I assume you have not had it on Smiley Rock yet? I would love to see this thing on that trail. Hope to be able to run trail with you again now that you have the new truck.

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
Nope - no Smilely Rock or DeSoto until I had some door protection. The new, new front diff guard will be here soon, and then I'll start doing some easy rock trails to learn the rig. First off will be a LP to CK run - that's always a hoot. I will be doing my annual DeSoto run in the fall, this will be the 8th Annual!

Rexsname

Explorer
I've always enjoyed the Lake Pleasent to Crown King run. I'd like to come along if I may. Please post up when you decide to take that trip.

REX

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
Well, we did OK this last quarter despite one of our customers not paying for parts since Dec...

So, due to an unanticipated bonus, I ordered a Yaesu Ft-7900, Larsen mag mount, and a Larsen MNO2/70B antenna from HRO.

I have missed my radio! If the stuff arrives tomorrow, I'll install it on Friday - photos then!

Mark

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
Install complete - I'm back on the air!

After almost two months to the day, I've got a radio again!

Thanks to Rex for stopping by and giving me a hand with the install. It was much appreciated!

And thanks to BX for giving me some tips that sped up the process!

First off I put the radio on the bench and performed to TX mod. In an emergency I will use whatever means required to get help, and that includes using the local Sheriff's office frequencies. There are lots of places where I get no cell service, but can still hear the dispatchers on the local repeaters.

Routed the power leads from the battery to a plug under the drivers seat. Used the same hole for the antenna, and routed it aft along the frame. Removed the center console, route the wires, attached the external speaker, and mounted the radio to the floor with two screws. Siliconed up the hole, and it was done!

I have used a mag mount in the past with bad results to the paint. I'm going to try the suction cup hangers to hold the coax off the cab and roof.

Got the basic freq's in memory - FWD 2, 2M simplex, 8 local repeaters, and FR'S 1.1. Still have hours of input to do - I had over 150 frequencies and 5 memory channels in the old radio...

Mark

Attachments

• 100_1647.JPG
    100_1647.JPG
    235.3 KB · Views: 769
  • 100_1648.JPG
    100_1648.JPG
    243.2 KB · Views: 673
  • 100_1649.JPG
    100_1649.JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 650

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
Winch Thermal Protection Switch mod done!

After reading many posts about the failure rate of the TPS, I decided to follow the instructions from the Power Wagon forum and do it! It seems like there are numerous accounts of the switch failing without it being used, or failing in use. The circuit will allow the winch line out when it fails, but it won't let you power in. That's a real problem if you get a 6200' truck stuck and need that 12K winch!

Details:

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250483&highlight=thermal+switch

Mark

Cypher

Full Time Traveler
Cool mods! I love the radio install... Nice and clean! The suction cups on the roof for the antenna cable have worked very well for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles