Electric Fans Mounted in Hood

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Yeah, I would think a bigger radiator would yield better returns than some kind of jury-rigged fan setup.

Also have you tried Water Wetter? I used it on my (only) water-cooled motorcycle (2001 Triumph Thunderbird) and it seemed to work very well for cooling the motor noticeably. I think it's only about $20 at motorcycle shops.

I could see the benefit of using a fan to force out hot air from under the hood, especially in slow speeds situations, but I'm not so sure about the additional cooler. :snorkel:

teachersnake

Yeah, I recently flushed my system about 6 times over the course of a week, using rad cleaner. I'm running water wetter now and I'm happy with the lowered temps--went from around 218 on average to 208. Depending on how the cooling system holds up over the summer (the previous owner must not have flushed the system ever--the gunk was ridiculous), I'll be investing in a new heavy duty radiator.
Anyway, I still like the idea of a hood mounted aux cooler, if only for my trips out to the Mojave. I'll keep you all updated on what I decide to do.

jp0863

Observer
I had a 93 XJ and had louver vents (ols school hotrod style) punched in the hood. hardest part was taking the hood off which is actually pretty easy. cost me about $80 and fixed the problem. as you drive, low pressure air over the vents sucks the heat out and it doesnt matter how fast or slow you go. wen sitting, the natural rise of the heat will expell the hot air under the hood through the vents. just my $.02..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94