Rescue crews find body of missing pilot...

DarkHelmet

Adventurer
Another sad one. I was part of a six person, technical rescue team that went in. It was nasty terrain, and just unpleasant all around. This is my least favorite part of being a SAR volunteer.

Search and Rescue crews find body of missing pilot in plane wreckage near Atlanta

Chalk 1 enroute to the scene:
DSCN0697.jpg

Crossing snow fields from our drop-off zone to the crash scene:
DSCN0706.jpg

On scene. The pic is a bit deceptive as spire is where the plane impacted but the recovery area was not quite that steep... almost, but not quite.
DSCN0710.jpg

Me, on scene.
DSCN0719.jpg

Chalk 2 inbound to pick up four of the six team members at the original drop-off point:
DSCN0725.jpg

Chalk 1 hoisting our two remaining team members from the crash scene. We remained on station as backup as our aircraft also had a hoist, hoist operator and deployer (delta), just in case we were needed:
DSCN0755.jpg

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
A family is very grateful for your willingness to put yourself and team members at risk so they can have some closure.

That Others May Live, mi amigo.

-H-

timaus13

Observer
To all SAR personel

We all owe you a debt of gratitude for the selfless service you provide.
I take my hat off too you all, keep up the good work.

Tim

XJINTX

Explorer
Good job ... Keep up the good work!

Accolades to you and the entire team. Oh and all the other SAR teams out there.

jh504

Explorer
I can tell you that the family is definitely very greatful for recovering their loved one. My uncle and a pilot went down in a cub in the Brooks Range AK. They hit a slope in a box canyon at the beginning of winter. The recovery crews wernt sure if they could get the bodys out before snowfall but they gave it their all and were able to make the recovery. We were all very greatful. Thanks for what you do.

On a side note, are you certified helicopter rescue technicians or are the blackhawks just transport for yall? We have a civilian/National Gaurd cooperative rescue team here in NC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles