Paddling pics

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
View from my WS Tsunami 145 on Lake Powell last November.

IMG_0539.JPG

JeepinBear

Explorer
Great thread idea UPCRUISER!

On the Henry's Fork of the Snake River, in Idaho. This was a rented canoe. Michelle and I just bought our own. We can't wait for the rain to STOP in Idaho so we can get out and use it!!

DSC01730.JPG

DSC01727.JPG

DSC01736.JPG

DSC01748.JPG

kerry

Expedition Leader
Green River day 5 of 7 near Moab - October 2008

dsc_2172.jpg

Great time of year to do that trip. Either October or April. Did it in March a couple of years ago and took the jetboat from the confluence back to Moab in the middle of a snowstorm. No windshield on the jetboat. I think I was as cold as I have ever been on that ride.
The jetboat was getting waved down by frozen canoeists looking for a ride back to Moab as we went up the Colorado.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Some shots from today......

002-2.jpg

Middle Island

003.jpg

Boat's eye view

004.jpg

Totally calm now, but by the time I made Partridge Island and started heading back it got rough. 3-4 foot building waves and a gnarly 30mph steady blow. It got interesting. Ended up being one of the rougher crossings I have done.

007-1.jpg

009-3.jpg

Taking a little break on Partridge Island. Some food and a little nap.

015-2.jpg

Self portrait on Partridge Island. While I'm goofing off, the wind is building on the otherside and Lake Superior is turning ugly.

016-1.jpg

More shoreline on the calm side

It took some work working my way back. The waves were building and breaking out in the open water. Great paddle though.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
How long was the crossing?

Not terribly far, just over a mile from the east end of partridge island to the point of Presque Isle, but I ducked back towards Middle Island on the way back to take some refuge from the wind and waves a bit. From Middle Island, there are some small rocks between there and land that give another section of protection. The other issue was clapotis from the cliffs on the exposed ends of the islands. The waves themselves weren't too bad but every time you got in front of an island the waves got crazy chaotic, even being offshore quite a ways. The closer I got to land, the stronger the wind kept getting. Even though the waves got smaller once i cleared Presque Isle point, the smaller choppier ones were getting me wetter then the big ones out in the open water. It was a constant shower.

I tried to find a map online to post a picture but no avail. This is the best I could do, its a picture from Sugar Loaf Mountain looking out to Partridge Island (the biggest and closest). The land in the back ground is Presque Isle Point, the small island in between is Middle Island. After rounding Partridge I made my way back over to the right side of Middle Island then to the beach which is out of view and to the right in the bay at Presque Isle.
270357002_32dce30f44.jpg

Chriscanoe

Observer
A Mohawk Shaman. I'm reconfiguring the outfitting on it today to carry gear since we're doing a 3 day camping trip next weekend on the North Platte in the Shaman and Dimension.

I did not realize the shaman had such a sharp bow plate. Have fun on your trip!

kerry

Expedition Leader
After looking at the vid again, I think it was an optical illusion. How do you like th Shaman?

I was paddling a Probe 12 before I got the Shaman. The Shaman is much faster, surfs better and is far more precise in its handling. It's not as forgiving as the Probe 12 but it would be hard to find any boat better than the Probe 12 in that category. The Shaman is wetter than the Probe. I like the Shaman a lot. I'm not a big fan of edgy boats like the Ocoee or Viper, probably because I'm just too lazy to be on my toes all the time on the river, although I think those edgy boats are better in a slalom course.

Last edited:

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
UPcruiser,

That old Dancer sure brings back the memories. I have owned 3 or 4 and and one that same color blue. Thanks for jogging my memory banks.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
UPcruiser,

That old Dancer sure brings back the memories. I have owned 3 or 4 and and one that same color blue. Thanks for jogging my memory banks.

Ha ha, I'm probably the only guy still using one, let alone using one for flat rivers and touring. I've had mine now for 15 years! Its a Dancer XT which just means it has more room to stuff crap in. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste