Any Porta-Bote Owners/Users to Offer Opinions?

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
When I built my Sprinter Camper, I put some sturdy brackets on streetside to carry the traction panels.

P1000646.jpg

It turns out, though, that this would also be a fine spot to mount an 8 or 10 foot Porta-Bote, which my wife is convinced would be just the thing to carry around so we could doodle around lakes we camp by.

If you've spent time with a Porta-Bote, I'd be grateful for any observations on how well it works and, especially, whether you'd recommend spending money on one.

Thanks,

Mike

vhram

Observer
I have a 12', It works great , I picked it up used. I dont think id buy one if paying the retail price . You can find them for sale used all the time.The square sterned models are more stable than the "canoe" shaped older models.The boat doesnt take up much space , but all the other stuff does. The 3 benches, spread bar, transom board, motor gas/elect? bimini top, oars, life jackets , anchor, wheels etc.... All the extra stuff doesnt come in a bag either , ive been trying to find bags big enough to put the benches and stuff in , havent had luck finding them yet. I hate having all the stuff just tied togather. Eric

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
can I ask where you sourced those mounts?

thanks!

Brian
Sadly, the answer won't help. They were originally used to hold the traction panels to the back of the fiberglass cabin that was built by Safari Vehicle Manufacturing. I removed them and had them put on the Sprinter when it was being built.

Dsc00360.jpg

SVM has, unfortunately, been out of business for the better part of a decade, and I have no idea where they got them. They're nice, and I wouldn't mind having a couple more sets myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne