The Open Air Camper build - Callen on Dodge Short Bed

Scott39

Adventurer
Cool idea. If you made it bigger and put one on both sides of the truck, you would have two more places to sleep. Just throw your sleeping bags on it.

theMec

Adventurer
Very Cool, the Hanging table is Great!

Thanks Gear!

Scott39,
I have drilled both sides of the truck so I can move the table according to the wind. Having someone sleep there would cramp my style though. What if I had to piss out the side of the truck (w/ the table on the other side)? I think just putting a couple of pads and bags on top of the camper would be better.

Scott39

Adventurer
Thanks Gear!

Scott39,
I have drilled both sides of the truck so I can move the table according to the wind. Having someone sleep there would cramp my style though. What if I had to piss out the side of the truck (w/ the table on the other side)? I think just putting a couple of pads and bags on top of the camper would be better.

Heck, you could put two people in the cab, two on the sides, three inside, two on top, and your outdoor condo can sleep nine.:sombrero:

theMec

Adventurer
Storage for hanging table board

I forgot to mention where I store the board for the hanging table. I bought some 3/4" Z channel and bolted it under one of the benches. I didn't allow for board warpage though. The plywood was 23/32" thick. So I had to shim the channel up (actually down) an 1/8" w/ strips of wood.

This still allows for 13" of clearance under the table board.

3907463317_dc900d3d46_b.jpg

matt s

Explorer
Love this set up. You are giving me great ideas, and I think may have saved me a ton of money (toning down my wild ideas, by seeing the simplicity of yours).

theMec

Adventurer
Klahanie - thanks :)

Love this set up. You are giving me great ideas, and I think may have saved me a ton of money (toning down my wild ideas, by seeing the simplicity of yours).

Glad to hear I may have helped. I've got more ideas coming!

jeeper92

Adventurer
Very Nice

I have a pickup bed trailer, id like to slide something like this in it and be done with it. WHat does it weigh?

theMec

Adventurer
I have a pickup bed trailer, id like to slide something like this in it and be done with it. WHat does it weigh?

Mine weighs 550#. Callen will build what you want though. They also do aluminum which I didn't know when I ordered mine. Callen is a family business - which is tough in today's economy. Don't expect quick turn around. We love ours though. Good luck!

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Love the build. Thanks for sharing.

I learned a lot from your thread. The tables is a wonderful idea. I am pretty sure I know how I can work that out on my Jeeps as well, by attaching the ropes to the roof rack, and that will make such a nice bonus, even for lunches on day trips.

Thanks!

matt s

Explorer
On your table storage with the z channel it looks like you could slide it out half way and have shelf out the back over the tail gate as well. Unintended dual purpose, perfect!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles