The Open Air Camper build - Callen on Dodge Short Bed

theMec

Adventurer
Any update to your build? Nice job so far.

Thanks! Yeah, I have updates. Just need to get off my butt & post. Coming up:
  • webasto diesel heater
  • awning
  • water system - gravity feed
  • table legs added to center board - now doubles as bed board or inside/outside table
  • cushion covers - sort of a flower power motif

Scott39

Adventurer
Thanks! Yeah, I have updates. Just need to get off my butt & post. Coming up:
  • webasto diesel heater
  • awning
  • water system - gravity feed
  • table legs added to center board - now doubles as bed board or inside/outside table
  • cushion covers - sort of a flower power motif
Do you have a place to buy the Webasto diesel heater at a good price?:sombrero:

theMec

Adventurer
Do you have a place to buy the Webasto diesel heater at a good price?:sombrero:

Knowing what I know now, I'd talk to my local big rig service (trucks, motorhomes, contruction rigs). In my case, this was Stewart & Stevenson (http://www.ssss.com/) in Denver. They install these heaters daily for truckers. My S&S mechanic said they get webasto air top 2000 diesel heaters for about $1000. I see the basic kit, which is what I have, cost about $2000 online. You might get them a little cheaper on ebay - which is what I did. In my case, this was a bad move. I'll talk more about HOW NOT TO DO IT, when I write it up. Good luck!

AeroNautiCal

Explorer
This is an inspirational build, and I love the simple, utilitarian way you create customization, which I find elegantly simple... And simply elegant!

Thanks for sharing.

Very nice setup. I did the same kind of camper to get maximum airflow. I live in south texas so most of my camping is in warm weather. I did build screens for the sides to keep bugs out. I also have some limiting straps for the sides to allow them to be opened a little if there is a chance of rain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles