Votes: 86 79.6%
  • Rear winch

Votes: 22 20.4%

• Total voters

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
If you could only have one.....

Make sure to hit the poll.

Would you pick a front mounted winch or rear mounted winch? And Why?

motomech

Adventurer
Couple of reasons i like them on the front.

1.Normally when i'm stuck on a trail and need to be winched out, i want to go forward over the obstacle, or sometimes i need to hook onto the vehicle in front of me.

2.I can see whats happening from the driver seat while i'm winching and driving forward at the same time.

3.Shorter electrical leads to my charging system/battery.

4.I can place my winch higher off the ground in the front of my suburban than if it was mounted on the back.

5.MY FRONT BUMPER WAS FREE!:wings::victory:

smbisig

Adventurer
front, because when winching, i usually want to go forward and continue my adventure. besides, with enough snatch blocks, you can actually winch your vehicle backwards using a front mounted winch.

FreeManDan

Adventurer
Both! Mount it to a hitch receiver plate and move it to ether end you want provided, you have a receiver in the front. I saw an episode of Trucks on spike, they did it with a 90s model Cherokee. They locked down the winch in the cab, making it a real sleeper (that is, hidden off road capability). It would be great for a work truck where you would winch stuff other then weekend fun vehicles. :costumed-smiley-007

ExpeditionJeep

Front mounted. If you need a winch to go backward it means a couple of things have gone wrong in my opinion. First, you are alone, as if there was a second truck with you it can be assumed that if it's in front it already cleared the obstacle and is now a winch anchor or it's behind you and can snatch (or winch) you out backward. Second, you've pointed your truck inappropriately with intent to get stuck (i.e. into a big mudhole to see how far you can get) in which case the first concern really comes into play. I can see having the redundancy of a second winch out back, but I don't believe the extra weight is really worth the advantage.

As for the receiver mounted winches they look really great initially and I think they have a place in a utility/farm truck, but not an expedition rig. My primary concern would be trying to haul a 90+lbs winch and cradle into a slippery mudhole, then inserting it and plugging it in without ending up injured. Up here in the Northwest you can end up on a trail where most of the front bumper is buried. This would be less than fun to insert a cradle into what amounts to a hitch, especially in the rain/dark/snow. Not really practical in those conditions IMO. Further, the extra length of the mounting assembly equals extra leverage on the mount on anything other than a straight pull which could lead to a bent reciever or worse bent chassis. In the rear most SUV hitches are rated well below a 9000lbs load, let alone double lined so the capacity seems suspect at best.

I'm with Steve on this one, going forward is the objective.
Marc

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Your axel tubes make good guides for the winch cable if you have to winch backwards. If you think you are going to nose into somthing and possibly burry your winch then you can pre run it to the back bumper before you head in. That way you can grab the cable from the rear and pull youself backwards. Try it in the driveway so you have a feel for how you would want to run the cable under your rig. Ussually the axel tubes are low enough to make the cable clear the under carrage.

RobA

Definitely front location for either electric or hydraulic. Whilst they spend plenty of time pushing air you normally need one to climb rather than descend and/or move something or someone in front out of the way.

But it all depends on terrain types for the rest. For example a hi-lift with wheel lifter and winch kit along with the rest of your winch gear including winch extension straps then convert the hi-lift to an extremely useful piece of recovery gear. In winch mode you can use it to lower a vehicle, stop if from sliding sideways etc and with the wheel lifter you can lift vehicles that do not have rock sliders etc without damage

Given that sixty seconds of winch time moves a vehicle one turn of its wheels I try and avoid the need to use it apart from during training

Regards

RobA

michaelgroves

Explorer
Rear mount would be better if it's just for self recovery, and you're travelling alone.

Front for every other situation, and for convenience and ease of use.

michaelgroves

Explorer
Your axel tubes make good guides for the winch cable if you have to winch backwards. If you think you are going to nose into somthing and possibly burry your winch then you can pre run it to the back bumper before you head in. That way you can grab the cable from the rear and pull youself backwards. Try it in the driveway so you have a feel for how you would want to run the cable under your rig. Ussually the axel tubes are low enough to make the cable clear the under carrage.

I don't like this at all, although I suppose in an emergency...

The cable has to go considerably than 90 degrees around the fairlead first, and it's "pushing" on the fairlead up to twice as hard as the winch is pulling, just like a snatch block. The cable will break very easily too, where it's under compression around the tight radius of the fairlead. And it will leave some deep gouges in the axle tube too, I suspect. Altogether, not a good plan, unless you design a system specifically to pass the cable rearwards under the truck.

Having said that, it's probably quite feasible to have a second fairlead to feed the winch line onto the drum up from under the front bumper. Then one could mount a block with a decent size sheave to change direction rearwards. I quite like the idea of gently bending a piece of aluminium conduit to guide the rope back under the vehicle. This scheme would work best using synthetic line. One could have a second line semi-permanently threaded through the conduit etc, and coiled up either at the bumper end, or at the rear. If a rearwards pull is required, just unspool the primary winchline completely, and spool the second line on instead.

emmodg

Adventurer
Front mount!

For most of the reasons mentioned above. And you CAN redirect yourself backwards with snatch blocks and a front mount winch.

These "portable" receiver-mounted winches are a little suspect. I've seen them twist and pull within the receiver. It's not fun lugging a 9500-12000lb winch from one end of the truck to the other either!

michaelgroves

Explorer
And you CAN redirect yourself backwards with snatch blocks and a front mount winch.

Unless you attach the snatchblock to the vehicle itself as I suggested, and run the cable underneath the truck, so as to "push" the vehicle backwards with the cable, I still don't see how? Maybe I'm just slow.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I'll interject a few points....this did turn into a good conversation...

-Yes, you can winch backwards with enough snatch blocks and a front and rear anchor. It does take at least 4-6 snatch block depending on rigging. This also means you need a LOT of cable and rigging gear. Do I know how to do it, yes, do I have enough gear to pull it off, no.

-I feel that most expedition vehicles fall into a category that will include traveling alone in remote areas. This does affect your response to situations for sure.

-I think multi-mount winches are cool, but every one I have built ended up being pretty awkward to move around when you where in the snow, sand, or mud. The mounts are also very hard to get strong enough to stand up to anything but a straight pull.

-In a capable vehicle ( ie lockers, gearing, aired down, etc ) when you get stuck you might want to think about turning around instead of pulling yourself farther into trouble. I think this hold true in recreational 4wheeling AND expedition 4wheeling. If you can't DRIVE the trail you might no belong on it?!?!?

Keep the discussion going!

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
In a capable vehicle ( ie lockers, gearing, aired down, etc ) when you get stuck you might want to think about turning around instead of pulling yourself farther into trouble. I think this hold true in recreational 4wheeling AND expedition 4wheeling. If you can't DRIVE the trail you might no belong on it?!?!?

Keep the discussion going!

First off, becoming a better driver means challenging yourself and your vehicle. You don't get better and more experienced by turning around and going home every time you feel challenged. Of course you do have to be smart about it.

Getting stuck does happen. You can't always theorize yourself out of it.

As far as where to put the winch, there will always be situations where you would prefer to have it opposite of where it's currently mounted.
Again, if you're the type to turn around rather than trying to persevere through a challenge then you should probably have it on the back.
I have mine on the front because I prefer to try and finish what I started and quite honestly, it's been far more useful up there.

Jason T.

michaelgroves

Explorer
It does take at least 4-6 snatch block depending on rigging. This also means you need a LOT of cable and rigging gear. Do I know how to do it, yes, do I have enough gear to pull it off, no.

I'll have to ask once more: how does this work? I evidently have an artfully concealed vein of stupidity running through me!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94