Truck Shell Question????

mwfish

So I am having some troubles finding the weight limit for my truck shell. I have a Leer Browning Edition shell for a long bed. What I am trying to do is put a RTT on it. Is this going to work or am I asking for trouble? Thanks for the help.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Shell makers rarely publish their maximum weight capacity of a shell because of the variables involved - including legal.

But here are some general guidelines to live by:

1) First consider the rack on the shell. Roof racks usually have somewhere between a 100 - 200 lb maximum weight capacity. That weight capacity is dynamic and not static, which is the difference between a moving and stationary vehicle. It's not recommended to exceed the listed capacity of the rack while the vehicle is moving for many reasons, including how weight carried high effects the stability of the truck. However, most racks including the standbys like Thule and Yakima can handle a considerable amount with a stationary vehicle. I have personally seen a Yakima rack bear 1000 lbs while stationary.

2) Second, consider how the rack is mounted to the shell. While racks on tracks offer more usability options compared to side mounted racks, the more important consideration (in my opinion) is that the mounting of the rack needs to compliment the RTT. While in the cases of larger tents like the Eezi-Awn 1800 series, you need to make room for three crossbars, the most important consideration is to balance the weight of the RTT evenly across the roof by evenly positioning the crossbars under it.

3) Once you have the rack worked out, the all important question is: "Is the shell strong enough for the weight?" In the case of a well made shell like a Leer, the answer is in most cases yes. A well built shell can handle 500 - 700 lbs of weight balanced evenly across the roof while the truck is stationary. While there are some who have reinforced their shell for an extra level of protection, there are very, very few reports overall of shells cracking or breaking because of the use of a RTT.

Personally, I have an Eezi-Awn 1600 T-top mounted to my shell. The T-top is one of the heaviest tents around. Two people, tent, gear and the t-top skirt and I have not had any cracks or breakage to the shell. A number of others on the site have similar experiences.

That's my 2 cents. :elkgrin:

Pete

jcbrandon

Explorer
A few years ago I was looking for the weight bearing capacity of my Snugtop shell. When I couldn't find it in their documentation, I called the company. Within a few minutes I was talking to the guy who designed it and he answered my questions freely.

theMec

Adventurer
Leer is one of the lightest shells on the market. Lightest does not necessarily translate to the strongest. If you're taking your truck on 4x4 roads, I'd definitely talk to Leer about the stresses. Dynamic forces generated during 4x4 or washboards can be much greater than on pavement. One of my friend had troubles w/ a rack on his Leer. He was carrying bikes on 4x4 roads. Leer did replace the shell at least. I've had problems w/ leakage above the side windows even after they fixed it the first time. I would never consider a RTT on mine. It does depend on the driving you expect to do.
good luck,
steve

I was fearful of the weight on my Nissan shell. So I ended up buying a trailer for the purpose of mounting a RTT. I just can't imagine if you pack my family in a RTT that it would support the weight of the tent, us, and anything we put in the tent with us.

I take it back, I know it would support it, I just wonder about "spread" of the corners on the back of the cap and longevity of it after a few uses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior