Help finding a new backpack

WickedZJ

Adventurer
Currently I have an old military A.L.I.C.E pack I have used for years. I am thinking of getting a new back pack since the alice pack is old and pretty beat up. I am looking at getting a pack from Cabelas if I can seeing as I have a $500 gift card. If possible I would really like to spedn no more than $200 since I have some more things to get as well. The two packs I have been thinking about are linked below. Please let me know what you think and if you have any experiences or suggestions.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=campcation_2009-catfeatcamp&id=0066929518731a&navCount=4&podId=0066929&parentId=cat20124&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IK&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20124&hasJS=true

or http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=campcation_2009-catfeatcamp&id=0064262518789a&navCount=1&podId=0064262&parentId=cat20124&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IK&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20124&hasJS=true

ddog45

Adventurer
I was a wilderness ranger for three years and had a new pack every year. Do not buy a pack without trying it on first. Less seams is better in my mind. I have a Danna Designs backpack that is not made anymore that I will have for the rest of my life sometimes these bags can be found on craigslist.

Bighead

Adventurer
It's going to be night and day going from and ALICE to a quality civilian ruck. I understand you want to use the gift card but you will be missing out on a lot of quality rucks that Cabelas doesn't sell...but I understand money is money.

I also have an old Dana Design pack (Astralplane) that has been all over the world and might be the best best and most comfortable large pack I have ever owned. My current favorite packs are made by Mystery Ranch (owned by Dana Gleason...former owner of Dana Design).

85CUCV

Adventurer
Hate to sound like a broken record...........Dana Design. I've got an external frame (K2 Terraframe) Dana I will never get rid of. It has fiberglass stablizers that are unbelievable. Best large pack I have ever shouldered.

i've had a 5500 cubic inch cabelas pack fro a bout 10 years now and i like it very well. well made and hansles a loed well. i have never had a dana designs pack but just another view.

jake

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Hate to sound like a broken record...........Dana Design. I've got an external frame (K2 Terraframe) Dana I will never get rid of. It has fiberglass stablizers that are unbelievable. Best large pack I have ever shouldered.

For a while the Army SF guys had a ruck based on prototypes from Dana Design. It was called the CFP-90 and was an internal frame style. It was huge and even had a detachable patrol pack that doubled as the pack top lid. The main shortcoming was that if it was tossed fully loaded out of a hovering helo it might bust a seam.

The last CFP-90 that I had went back to Iraq with a contractor type who hailed from Alaska...

I can't remember the last time I had to really wear an Alice pack for a good reason. Maybe in the 90's? The rubberized material on the top flap used to dry out and shed on everything. I do have one modified Alice pack for hauling my PRC-117D radio when I need to go into the field with it.

Anyhow. You absolutley have to fit a pack before placing a catalog order. You might be able to find the Kelty at chain stores such as REI.

WickedZJ

Adventurer
I'll have to run up to Gander Mountain and see if they have em. May be able to check out the pack there and order it from cabelas if all is good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94