Help finding the right Pin

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Hi,
I am looking for a quick release pin, can anyone help me find what I'm searching for?

Requirements: 1/2" diameter, 2" possibly 2.5 or 3" long, inexpensive = <$10.

Application: it will be replacing a regular 1/2" bolt which passes through a few holes and connect so a free nut on the bottom side - here is a picture:
IMG_5256.JPG

IMG_5256.JPG

Rather than have the bolt in there I would like to have a quick release pin of some sort. I want to try and eliminate any slop so I as hoping to find something like this:
skewers21.jpg

I want the adjustability like this bicycle wheel quick release spindle pin
but with the swivel end like on this pin
swivellockhitch.gif

I want to a pin that will work without a threaded nut but still be able to be tensioned to eliminate movement.

Thanks
Brian

Last edited:

ExpoMike

My first thought would be quick release pins. McMasterCarr has a very good supply of different styles and lengths. As for adding tension, I would place a stiff spring on the pin so when you push it down into the hole, it would put tension and eliminate the slop. Might take a little trial and error to get the right spring.

Here's a link to the quick release pins, http://www.mcmaster.com/#push-button-quick-release-pins/=2bslvx

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks
I looked at McMaster but they want $40+ for such a pin, well I guell they have a less expensive verson too but still $20+.

My concern with the ball-stop type pin is that the tollerances must be just right for the ball to work properly as a stop.

I like the spring idea, would just need to make sure the spring does not overwhelm the ball stop.

One thought on this may be to weld the nut onto the bottom side to make it captive, weld a T handle onto a full-threaded bolt and just make my own threaded pin with a handle to screw on and off when needed.

Brian

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Reid Tool used to list a pin that had alternating split barrels and thimbles. It would slide into a hole and then camming the lever over would pull the internal drawbar which expanded the barrel & the thimbles. It wouldn't take up the axial slack, but it would remove all of the radial play between the pin and the hole(s).
I don't see it listed nor can I find it on their site. Would be worth calling about.

reidsupply.com

To do directly what you want to do I think that you're looking at needing fixed female threads and some sort of wing bolt.

Last edited:

ExpoMike

Thanks
I looked at McMaster but they want $40+ for such a pin, well I guell they have a less expensive verson too but still $20+.

My concern with the ball-stop type pin is that the tollerances must be just right for the ball to work properly as a stop.

I like the spring idea, would just need to make sure the spring does not overwhelm the ball stop.

One thought on this may be to weld the nut onto the bottom side to make it captive, weld a T handle onto a full-threaded bolt and just make my own threaded pin with a handle to screw on and off when needed.

Brian

The also have retaining caps (for holes not quite the right size) and recepticals. http://www.mcmaster.com/#ball-lock-pin-accessories/=2bxcu8

True, none of these ideas are cheap but that wasn't part of the original request. :coffeedrink:

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Reid Tool used to list a pin that had alternating split barrels and thimbles. It would slide into a hole and then camming the lever over would pull the internal drawbar which expanded the barrel & the thimbles. It wouldn't take up the axial slack, but it would remove all of the radial play between the pin and the hole(s).
I don't see it listed nor can I find it on their site. Would be worth calling about.

reidsupply.com

To do directly what you want to do I think that you're looking at needing fixed female threads and some sort of wing bolt.

McMaster has these for about $145.00 per pin! :Wow1:

chet

island Explorer
go to a tractor store. implement pins come in all sizes. You could also use a 1/2" hitch pin from a class II hitch

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
I had thought of a hitch pin before but did not like the solution.

Now I am liking the idea paired with the suggestion of using a spring.
A hitch pin along with a spring to keep it under a bit of tension may work nicely.

Thanks
Brian

ExpoMike

I have eddited my original post and request :ylsmoke:

Oh, in this case, I have nothing. :elkgrin:

Seriously, sounds like the hitch pin with a spring might be your cheapest method at this point. Good luck. :ylsmoke:

Oh, and if you get a hitch pin with a flange (kind of like in your original post), you could use JB Weld and epoxy the spring to the flange, so when you take the pin out, you are not chasing down this spring when it falls off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online