Thinking about going with a ute bed: 06 frontier

Squall Line

Observer
I am strongly considering getting a flat bed and full size topper for the truck (similar to the one on the ute site). I would outfit the camper with a mattress and a few other living comforts.I plan on getting the pull out drawer as well, but I am being told that there may be an issue with the bed I want. I am thinking the 7'6 long model will be the way to go so far as having adequate living quarters. There will be some more overhang coming from the stock 6' bed, but when the total length of the truck is considered with the current bumper, I don't think there will be any major difference. I don't like the idea of fitting into a 6' bed being that I am 6' even. Plans would include tool boxes underneath, and a water tank squeezed up in there. I really am hurting for secure storage on this truck, and I think this would be a good solution. Does any one want to venture a guess as to how much I should sell the current setup for? It would be the bed, bumper, toolbox, canholders if wanted, and the tent and rack. This is all in the planning stages, and would be a pretty big move, but it is in my long-term plan. I would make the topper easy off for trail duty (cant help but thinking how fun/ light this thing would be stripped down). Here is the current setup/ build : http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19929&highlight=squall+line

Any thoughts, criticism, or personal experience? I would love to hear it!

Thanks,
Eric

I don't think I'm grasping the entire idea of what your intent is. Which UTE type box were you considering.

My main concern would be weight. I think the flatbeds in OZ have a reinforced frame. You're going to need massive gorilla springs (see Creek's X), and distribute as much weight forward as possible. Even then, there will probably be too much weight aft to make it very practical.

In the end, it may be best to have something custom made out of aluminum. I know a few places locally that could do it, but I have no idea in your area.

Oh, and this mod will not be cheap. It might actually be cheaper to do it with another truck than to mod yours to do it.

Last edited:

mcm4090

Explorer
I was unaware that you could get a flatbed for the Frontier in the U.S. Maybe only for the KC.

I would love one like this.

SN200539.jpg

SN200543.jpg

SN200545.jpg

Squall Line

Observer
I don't think I'm grasping the entire idea of what your intent is. Which UTE type box were you considering.

My main concern would be weight. I think the flatbeds in OZ have a reinforced frame. You're going to need massive gorilla springs (see Creek's X), and distribute as much weight forward as possible. Even then, there will probably be too much weight aft to make it very practical.

In the end, it may be best to have something custom made out of aluminum. I know a few places locally that could do it, but I have no idea in your area.

Oh, and this mod will not be cheap. It might actually be cheaper to do it with another truck than to mod yours to do it.

I honestly think that the weight will be much less than the current setup. The bed itself comes in at just over 300 lbs. I have atleast 180+ in the rear bumper and tire carrier/ spare hanging off there. That is not to mention the stock bed, toolbox, and tent as is the setup now:
IMG_0201.jpg

I do have a pair of alcan springs that will be going on this weekend time willing. They are uprated for 500 additional pounds. I guess the main motivation here is secured storage and living space, less weight, more tool storage, and a greater degree of utility. The bed I am looking at is the same as is found on the Colorado, made by Ute ltd http://www.uteltd.com/SS-acc/acc-ss-02.html . There are some pictures of the topper on there as well. I would definitely have to make it dark grey/ black, but that would not be a big deal (might not be a smart one either... with the heat and all). I guess I am not content leaving well enough alone! The current setup works great, but I would like to move up in sophistication/ comfort, and add a shower/ water tank and other goodies that I dont have the space for. I think this would be much easier to stealth camp in for those times where making it to the woods is impractical. I am just trying to strike a good balance between a utility truck and a camping rig, without having to get a full blown camper. A appreciate the comments.

Eric

Well, if it's a minimal bed/storage, I'd say go for it. I was thinking along the lines of utility company type boxes.

But I have a tendancy to overload any space with stuff that I am given to use. So I know for a fact I would load the hell out of any storage I had.

Go aluminum over steel. Better corrosion resistance, and lighter weight.

Oh, and if I buy the new style Adventure Trailers can holders for you (NATO spec) will you give me the ones you have for use with my Scepter cans?

mcm4090

Explorer
The drawer alone would solve all my storage needs.
What would you do with your bed? Would you leave the body lift on?

Cypher

Full Time Traveler
I think it is a pretty cool idea... You could really do lots with this.

Have you thought of doing a conversion offered by Adventure Trailers?
http://www.adventuretrailers.com/trucks.html

The AT stuff is just awesome... Toss a RTT up on top and you have one hell of a camping machine. If I had another truck or a nice trailer, I would totally do this to my truck. As of right now, I just can't get rid of my only method of hauling junk, since the FJ doesn't haul junk as well as the Frontier.

adrenaline503

Explorer
I have a Ute Ltd flatbed on my 04 Frontier and I am pretty happy with it. I know that there was a significant weight loss when the stock bed was removed. However, I am confident that the second gen beds weigh less. I have been kicking around a few camper / shell ideas. If you have an specific questions send me a PM. My ship tour is about over so I should be around more.

justbecause

perpetually lost
I really need a flat bed. My ************** jackknifed my trailer last saturday and did an estimated 800-2k dollars worth of damage. Id let it ride but my wife is pissed and I'm tired of hearing about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier