Roof top tents on Xterras....

Redrock

Observer
So I'm still in the very early stages of deciding what vehicle I'll turn into an expedition rig, which won't happen for at least a year.

That said, does anybody have any input on how rooftop tents work with the current-gen Xterra? In particular, does putting it way up on the roof rack affect handling and safety? Is it too tall? Does it look goofy? Is the roof rack too narrow? Got pics to help me decide if it's a good idea? A RTT is definitely going to be a part of my setup, so how well it works and looks will partially determine what kind of truck I choose.

sami

Explorer
Found an X with a roof top tent.. This is a 1st gen.. A bit narrower than the 2nd gen. So take it for what it's worth.

drivesidego.jpg

passrcorner.jpg
[/QUOTE]

RonapRhys

Adventurer
So I'm still in the very early stages of deciding what vehicle I'll turn into an expedition rig, which won't happen for at least a year.

That said, does anybody have any input on how rooftop tents work with the current-gen Xterra? In particular, does putting it way up on the roof rack affect handling and safety? Is it too tall? Does it look goofy? Is the roof rack too narrow? Got pics to help me decide if it's a good idea? A RTT is definitely going to be a part of my setup, so how well it works and looks will partially determine what kind of truck I choose.

I don't think there's a huge difference in the structure between the two generations, at least in terms of overall height and width. Structurally the racks are different. IIRC the Gen1 racks have the metal bars that bend down into the plastic feet. This means they'll probably support more static weight and handle weight better while driving. Gen2 racks have plastic making the bend, which could mean less capability.

However, I don't think this precludes the RTT. I wouldn't leave it up there constantly - just load it up for a trip and then remove it. Of course, that's more to save on gas mileage and any potential damage to the tent.

Another thought is to go with an aftermarket roof rack. Either build one yourself or get a replacement rack. I believe Gobi's getting ready to start production on the Gen2 racks once they finally sell out of the Gen1 stuff. Check thenewx.org as they've got a few folks who've built their own.

Creek

Adventurer
Gobi already makes racks for the 2nd gen. I have one. What they are developing is a modular rack for ease of shipping. That one's not out yet - but should be soon.

n1143993353_144606_7298.jpg

rroadkilll

Needs a LIFE!
Thanks Creek for posting... I thought there was but didn't look around soon enough to let them know!!!

NICE RIG by the way!!!

I'll have to check it out when/if I get stationed on the LEFT coast next summer...

RonapRhys

Adventurer
Thanks for the update. They would've been my choice for a rack until I saw some of the MaddMaxx ones out there.

But sliders are calling first. Then the SL. Probably bumpers, too.

Steel_City_X

I've got a 2000 and have the ARB tent on it. Mileage drops, a little more top heavy, but nothing that I am concerned about + I do not have the ftory sway bars any longer. Running 31" tires and the 33's I have would be a little more top heavy. I'll try to get a picture that a friend took at Bonnaroo a couple weeks ago.
Very happy with mine. I would like a longer roof rack to allow loading some stuff in front of the RTT

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Dont tell any of my Toyotaholic brethren I said this... but, I REALLY like the newer Xterra's with the rear locker :drool:

Very nice rigs IMO and very capable. I think they look great with a RTT and would really like to see one with a Maggiolina

Dont tell any of my Toyotaholic brethren I said this... but, I REALLY like the newer Xterra's with the rear locker :drool:

I hate to say this to you, but we traded in our 4Runner for the '08 Xterra Off Road. :) In fact, it just turned 6004mi today, so it's getting an oil change when I get bored of wrenching on my M101CDN trailer build.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles