backup camera with wireless transmitter $70

haven

Expedition Leader
I came across a remote camera with wireless transmitter for $70.

The camera is designed to be mounted on the license plate holder
and to draw power from the wiring to the lightbulbs that illuminate the
license plate. The signal is sent wirelessly to a 7 inch monitor that
mounts on the sun visor or somewhere else on the dashboard.

To help with rock crawling, the camera could be mounted under the body somewhere to let you see obstacles next to the front wheels.

The camera is available through Amazon.com, and also from Sam's Club.
http://www.amazon.com/Safety-View-Back-up-Camera-System/dp/B001U028JK

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Works great, I've had one mounted on the trailer license for a couple years

Really helps when backing, near an edge/tree/stream/body

:wings::safari-rig::safari-rig: JIMBO

Michael

Adventurer
I came across a remote camera with wireless transmitter for $70.

The camera is designed to be mounted on the license plate holder
and to draw power from the wiring to the lightbulbs that illuminate the
license plate. The signal is sent wirelessly to a 7 inch monitor that
mounts on the sun visor or somewhere else on the dashboard.

To help with rock crawling, the camera could be mounted under the body somewhere to let you see obstacles next to the front wheels.

The camera is available through Amazon.com, and also from Sam's Club.
http://www.amazon.com/Safety-View-Back-up-Camera-System/dp/B001U028JK
I installed a similar b/u cam about 6 months ago. It comes in handy when you're backing up and don't have a spotter. Mine is in the standard license plate holder position, but it would be better if it was mounted up high to get some depth perspective, such as on a roof rack. The camera body rotates. To get depth perspective, I marked the camera with a key mark so I know the "calibrated" position. In that position, an object disappears off the bottom of the screen when it is 48" away. I mounted the monitor on my sun visor with velcro. One interesting side note -- when cruising on the freeway I've picked up images from other people's cameras. Apparently, some people hook it up to a "always on" power source, instead of the recommended back up light. In one case I even saw myself from the car ahead of me (checked by turning on headlights and it was me all right!). Today I was driving along Hwy 62 in Twentynine Palms, CA and caught a glimpse of some store's security camera image. I've also thought about mounting it on the front license plate holder, to see where the @$%# road goes at the crest of some of those steep hills ... :Wow1:

87FoRunner

Adventurer
I think one on the front bumper (like those of us with an ARB or similar) woud be pretty good too.

There are lots of occasions where I am coming up steep (steep, steep, well over 45 according to the gauge in the 4runner) and can't see over the top of the hill and have to guestimate where to go.

*Yes I know a spotter would be better, but it is more assuring to see if "first hand" and have a better "self" evaluation.

Carlyle

Explorer
I've been using a wireless back up camera for several months now and have to say it is very handy. I upgraded to a little higher quality monitor after the initial one arrived with moisture behind the lens and enjoy the better picture. Very handy for backing up and seeing if some fool is tail gating...
DSC02112.jpg

DSC02111.jpg

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I've thought about these, but wondered how they deal with the inevitable dirt buildup. Then when you go to clean them, does it scratch the lens?

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
I really need one of these, I have zero visibility out the back of my truck and it's a PIA to judge how close you are getting to parked cars, trees and rocks. This will definitely be on my eventual to do list.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
I had one on the troopy, and liked it. Yes, the lens gets dirty, but cleans easily. I never scratched mine, but I supposed if you didn't spray it off and just wiped it with a dry cloth it could....

Worth the $70 I paid....

-H-

77blazerchalet

Former Chalet owner
If we aren't there yet, we must be getting close to the point where a big enough screen (7-8 inches) can be used predominantly as a 'rear view mirror', but be switched to a GPS screen at the touch of a button - or be a split screen - and then be used as a video monitor when parked.

Bugged the daylights out of me that some RV stores were selling back-up camera setups for outrageous prices that couldn't be used for other purposes, but monitors could be bought cheaply, and we know how plentiful web cams have gotten in recent years. I always thought there must be a way to put those dissimilar items together to knock the price down. Is there some reason why a laptop couldn't be rigged up to be a rearview monitor?

JamesDowning

Explorer
I have a wired version. Its actually pretty easy to wire the video wire up to the front seat. Either way, you'll have to run at least a power wire out to the camera.

The set I bought was called the PLCM25:

PLCM25.jpg

16.jpg

The rear view monitor is a mere 2.5" but provides plenty of detail for backing up... no need to be able to see each any every pebble. Just the general positioning of the large objects:

17.jpg

Eyhre

I had installed a parking sensor with 4 sensors , back up cameras are installed on the license plate frame, and sensors installed on the rear bumper. The picture of cameras like this:
license-Plate-camera-ir.jpg (This is a similar picture of my backup cameras installed ).
When reverse gear is engaged the parking sensor system provides an instant, automatic, self-diagnostic function that maps out the surrounding area of our bumper constantly monitoring this as we reverse with 100% accuracy. but a good sense for a driver is more essential. We could not rely on it always, or we will be in a mess when sensors are unworkable. :wings:

Eyhre

I have a wired version. Its actually pretty easy to wire the video wire up to the front seat. Either way, you'll have to run at least a power wire out to the camera.

The set I bought was called the PLCM25:

PLCM25.jpg

16.jpg

The rear view monitor is a mere 2.5" but provides plenty of detail for backing up... no need to be able to see each any every pebble. Just the general positioning of the large objects:

17.jpg

Car rear view camera installed on the license plate would be wonderful for me, is is difficult to be seen by others, what is more the distance detected by the sensors are accurately. :victory:
Wires are easy to connect, if not confident to install it ourself, drive to the car care center to handle it, it is also workable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior