Outlaws Run 2006 10/7/06-10/15/06

bh4rnnr

Adventurer
The view from the summit of Roost country is either sublime or depressing, depending upon the amount of water in ones cantien and one's knowledge of water holes. From Roost Spring, you may look forty, fifty,or sixty miles to the Henry Mountauins, etched sharply against a flat gray background. To the east, half hidden by red cliffs on the east side of Cataract Canyon, may be seen peaks of the La Sal Mountains. Sixty Five miles north, the Book Cliffs lie against the syline. Forty miles west rises the jagged outline of the fantasticly colored Water Pocket Fold. From where you stand, the country slopes gradually away in every direction, apparently smooth, but actually criss-crossed with deep dry ravines and coverd with red sand. Everything within vision is know as "The Roost Country"
-Charles Kelly

10/7/06
All packed up, head west:smiley_drive: to the Utah Desert for this years "Outlaws Run". Along the way, pass
by Darren from "MyColorado.org" headed homebound(east) near Glenwood Springs. After a quick stop
for food in Green River I head south on 95 for Goblin Valley to camp for the night. A quick talk
with the Park Ranger informs me of a full/washed out campground, along with a wet desert, as they
just received 3 inches of rain:eek: the day before. Continue south to Hanksville, figuring a late
night into the Henrys for camp:camping: . Once in Hanksville, I was informed of the Rd to Capital Reef
washed out, along with most of Hanksville, and I would not be going to the Henrys any time soon.
I gassed up in Hanksville and continued south, not knowing where I was going to camp. A few miles out of town, I turned west on a dirt Rd leading to the Henrys. Only a few miles in before I
decided to turn back. Not wanting to test my luck being alone. A little frustrated with the
turn of events, I continue driving, enjoying the star filled night over the open desert. After
watching the moon rise, I ended the night in Blanding Utah. Hotel bound for the night.
10/8/06 I head out early, heading to Moab in hope of better news and maybe get lucky and get of
pavement.... Once in town, I stop at the information Center, seems luck is against me:mad: . Trails
closed due to rain: White Rim, Shaffer Trail, Hells Revenge not recommended, Delicate Arch trail
and one of the 4x4 roads in the park. Two other rds closed but cant remember the names. I
continue on out of Moab and on to Green River trying to figure out what/where to go for the next
few days. After some thought, I continue on north and after driving a 1000 miles in two days, I
end the night in Salt Lake City, crashing at my Uncles place.
10/9/06
A late sleep sure felt good after two full days of driving. Lunch with my Uncle and Aunt and
stopping afterwards to the Art museum at the U of U, only to find it closed. That's right,
columbus day. A relaxing afternoon before a trip up to Deer Valley with my Uncle, Aunt, and
cousin Lizzie, along with half the soccer team for a soccer game. Would be the first game I
would watch my cousin play. Two 25 minute half's in 45 deg temps to watch my cousin score the only and wining goal:wings: . Go Firebirds! Drive back home with my Uncle rubbing in the time it takes to get back to the driveway from the resort, 25 minutes and no traffic... Followed by a nice home cooked meal, something I have not seen in a while.
10/10/06
Once again, slept in late. Finally got enough motivation to get out. Stopped at the store for
a few more supplies. Paul May of Wasatch Cruisers called me on my way back, said we would be
meeting at the Desert Edge Brewery at 7pm. Took a nap,read my book, got cleaned up and headed
out to meet Paul. Show up to the Brewery, lady on a bike almost runs me over but comments "nice
hair", a mohawk died cherry read but faded into a reddish pink color. Once inside, I find Paul
May, and am happy to see Brian Passey and Dave Connors next to him. Jason soon shows up. Enjoy
good company, good food and good beverages:beer: before calling it a night. Thanks Paul for dinner,
and thanks Brian for the growler, was enjoyed by all. Oh, and Paul had to show off the new
lights. Back home to say goodbye to my Uncle, Aunt and cousins. Will see them again soon, sooner
than 13years.

bh4rnnr

Adventurer
10/11/06 Wake up, pack up and head back to the Desert. I told Royal Rose of Wasatch Cruisers I would try and stop by on my way down, distracted by thoughts of the Desert, I forgot to call him:rolleyes: . Sorry Royal. Four straight hours of driving, o.k, one quick stop to say hello to another Uncle who called. Stopped at the sight of the Castle Gate robbery(North of the town of Price) to pay my respect to Butch Cassidy. Guestemated I would be at the swinging bridge by 3:30pm to set up camp. Only ten minutes off... 1300 some miles traveled so far. Tent set up, cold brew:beer: in hand, this is the life. Not a bad place to be, Butch came through in route to the San Rafael River after the Castle Gate robbery. Behind me, Joe walker got into a shoot out with a sheriff and posse in a side canyon near Mexican Mountain. Wild country. Hiked over to camp site I stayed at back in January to see if that Snap-On hammer I left was still there, nope. Steak on the menu tonight:chowtime: , soon coming to realize after throwing the meat on the grill, I picked a packet of pork. Watch the sun disappear behind the cliffs, the San Rafael River plays a soothing tune and soon drift to sleep.

"Paradise it ain't hard to find Lookin' out your window at the world outside
Paradise it ain't far away here in my head it's just another day here in paradise"

10/12/06
Left the San Rafael Campground for Green River.Reinforcements show up: Daniel Markofsky(FJZ80) Dan Reinmuth(FJZ80) and Nathaniel Miller(FJ60). After Fuel and Food, we headed west to the turn off for Black Dragon Canyon. Lock in the hubs, air down and head in the canyon. Slow going through the canyon, as the recent rain has washed a lot of the trail out. Some road building here, Nathaniel being pulled out there and soon made it out of the canyon and into Black Dragon Wash. Find camp:camping: along the Jack Ass Benches. A social evening around the camp fire:campfire: :friday: to end the night.

bh4rnnr

Adventurer
10/13/06
Wake up in time for a short hike to the next rise with Steve to watch the sunrise over the San Rafael. Breakfast, packed up and head out. A short drive through Buckhorn Wash Rd before turning west onto Cane Wash rd. Stop to check out one of the old Uranium Mine operations, continue on through the wash. Daniel gets stuck in the wet sand . I try but make it out, Dang. Turn onto North Fork Coal Wash and stop for lunch. Continue on, enjoying the beauty of the Desert . Pass by a formation called "Joe and his Dog", up and over(and down the hard part) Fixit Pass. Stop at Slipper Arch, continue on and start looking for a camp sight. Had some time in finding one, but Daniel found a enjoyable spot. Chairs out and cold ones opened by 5:30. Salmon on the menu tonight. Fire raging :campfire: , sun setting in the distance, another fine night.
10/14/06
Wake up to a rain filled morning. A short hike down the rd Robbie and I traveled last year before packing up camp. We headed south on a planned rd. Only a few miles in before we find ourselves slipping and sliding. After turning around and deciding on a new route, we make our way North before heading south on a slippery muddy rd. Looks like we cant escape this stuff today. Slow progress on the rd, creek crossings, washes, pulling Nathaniel out before he slips into a sinkhole. Before ending at Moore Cutoff rd. Think half the time on that rd I was out of control sliding around, and the other half, I couldn't see anything due to the mud ..... Lunch at the rest stop. "oh look at those rigs,they've had some fun" is what we seemed to here during lunch. Continue on, "you got just enough room under that overpass Dan" as the Jerry cans scrape the road bed above. Soon we drop into Eagle Canyon. Work are way through the wash and soon stop under I-70. Admire Eagle Canyon Arch and work are way out of Eagle Canyon, Pass by Sawsey's Cabin and soon find camp. Fire going, we relaxing and enjoy the last night of the run(Sorry guys still getting Cell service, going to have to work on that..)

"High in the wind, standing in the sun. Were going to raise up the heavens, with a shovel and a gun. I was so much younger then, I would never ever listen. I am so much older now, I thought that things would end up different. Farewell, Lover in green"

10/15/06
Wake up, take a short hike(recomended by Nathaniel and Kenosha). Enjoy the views and the sun(whats that ). Come back to a warm campfire. Slow going packing up . We get going some time around 11:30... Stop and hile around Swasey's cabin for a short while before saying goodby. Daniel and Steve headed south to the Slot Canyons. Dan, Nathaniel and I headed home. Stopped on the side of the rd before Eagle due to no power from the 4runner... A jump lead to the finding of a blown 15amp fuse causing the alternator to stop charging the battery. Fixed and on the rd again. Home again and soon back to work.... Thanks all who made it out this year. Was a lot of fun

"And when it's all over, he'll move a littler slower. He'll back up to the trailer, and look toward Oklahoma. He'll pull out right through the middle of town and watch the sun start sinking down. Still just lighting up the road signs, getting ready for the next time"

seth_js

Explorer
attachment.php

Man, that stuff looks nasty.

Dave

Explorer
Very similar scenes and observations from our own trip to the area last week. Sounds like we missed each other at the Moab Visitor Center by just a few hours!

bh4rnnr

Adventurer
Dave said:
Very similar scenes and observations from our own trip to the area last week. Sounds like we missed each other at the Moab Visitor Center by just a few hours!

To bad I missed ya guys. I'm sure you would have seen me walking around Moab with a cherry red mohawk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles