Blankets: 12 volt heated style

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
John B said:
Cmon Guys....electric blankey's? I'm getting older and need more in the backcountry for comfort but...?

I have to agree with John here, just get a warmer bag ... or a dog. With (im)proper diet a dog can not only warm up the bags, but the air in the tent as well. Just be prepared for the puppy to crawl in the bag with you if it gets cold enough.

My personal problem with electric blankets is if the bed/bag is already warm my body won't generate heat and I freeze my parts off.

Get a double bag and go to bed wearing hats.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Well.........

All I can say is........

Let's not have a Pillow Fight over it!..............hehe

So Mark.........

Have you ever considered a 12V cig plug car heater?

safetycentral_1918_10506151

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
Scenic WonderRunner said:
Well.........

All I can say is........

Let's not have a Pillow Fight over it!..............hehe

Funny...!

I have to admit....my priorities would be different. However...i was thinking of myself and only myself as far as useful gear when i posted earlier.

The being a Gentleman and thinking of my signifigant other never crossed my mind. You'd never catch my wife far from a cabin.... MarkF'nStevens you have a fine catch there!

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Wait a minute.....JOHN!!!!!!!

.........I heard Pillow Fights can be FUN!!!!!!!!!!!:jumping:

now where is that pillow fight smilie when you need him>?!!!!

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
yes we have been using one for the past two years - why else would you have a second battery? :D

...I just never talk about it :friday:

articulate

Expedition Leader
Scenic WonderRunner said:
Wait a minute.....JOHN!!!!!!!

.........I heard Pillow Fights can be FUN!!!!!!!!!!!:jumping:

now where is that pillow fight smilie when you need him>?!!!!
You mean HER. Two of 'em. In their underwear. Swinging pillows around. The ultimate smilie :Wow1:

jkam said:
I have one under the sheets on the mattress in my van. I got it at a truck stop, it has a cig lighter plug on it to power it up.
I use it to take the chill from the sheets before bed. I've camped out in some pretty cold places and crawling into a not freezing bed is a welcome way to start the night.
http://www.das-roadpro.com/roadpro/prod_detail.asp?Item=RPHB-1101C
rphb_1101c.jpg
This looks perfect. Low amp draw and all that. Thanks for the good post. As for everybody else. . .

Desertdude said:
yes we have been using one for the past two years - why else would you have a second battery? :D

Precisely! I've got the second battery and a cold tent. It seems so linear to me. However, I didn't expect to catch so much macho-flack for this post - you're smart to save your ego by not talking about it. I'll bet Kristina would be happy to enlighten us about your 'lectric blankey, though.

bigreen505 said:
I have to agree with John here, just get a warmer bag ... or a dog. With (im)proper diet a dog can not only warm up the bags, but the air in the tent as well. Just be prepared for the puppy to crawl in the bag with you if it gets cold enough.

My personal problem with electric blankets is if the bed/bag is already warm my body won't generate heat and I freeze my parts off.

Get a double bag and go to bed wearing hats.
Well, here's the scoop. To save space and use what I have more wisely, we simply dressed the mattress in the Eezi-Awn with sheets and a blanket. We used to tote along sleeping bags but that just didn't make sense for space. NOW we just pop open the tent and the bed is already to go. 'Cept on a cold night. So I want an electric blankey. Dog is no good. I'm allergic.

I will admit, though, that a nice backpacking tent is far better for warmth than the roof tent. There so much more volume to the roof top tent, that our two bodies don't heat it up nearly as well. Soooooooo. . .

I want an electric blankey!
Yes, there I said it - er typed it. For all you dudes too macho to say that you'd use one if you had it - we know what the truth is. Hell, I survived through a Feminist Lit class as the only male in a room of 25 women. . . I can handle you punks.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
articulate said:
. . . I survived through a Feminist Lit class as the only male in a room of 25 women. . . I can handle you punks.

You sir, are my hero.

But it is comments like this:

articulate said:
. . . ...and boy do I benefit in several ways . . .

That make smilies like this:

action-smiley-073.gif

seem so appropriate.

And on that note, I am headed north.....

:wavey:

kcowyo

ExPo Original
articulate said:
Hell, I survived through a Feminist Lit class as the only male in a room of 25 women. . .

That would explain your fascination with blankeys, bottles and standing up to pee....
Maybe snorkels too, if I thought about it long enough. :lurk:

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
articulate said:
I want an electric blankey!
Yes, there I said it - er typed it. For all you dudes too macho to say that you'd use one if you had it - we know what the truth is.

Nope, still not interested. However I would take a really thick down comforter like my rommate used to have in a heartbeat. That would keep two people very warm and cozy.

jkam

nomadic man
I like to be comfortable, my mattress is custom made with memory foam, adding the electric blanket under the sheets and a nice down comforter on top, it's the most comfortable bed I've ever slept on.

I use my blankey only to take the chill from the sheets.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
I have one of these ordered and just waiting for it...I figure with the 30-day no risk trial/guarantee it is worth a try. We, mainly, want it to prewarm the tent before getting in at night and then a flick of the dial gets it warm in the A.M. Normally it isn't an issue but on the Coyote Flats trip last month we camped at 10,000-ish feet and with a cold snap that pulled through I'll bet it got down into the teens. I bc ski/camp on snow without issue but crawling into the tent mounted atop the trailer was d-d-d-arn c-c-c-old.

http://www.electricblanketupgrade.com/rv12.htm

Anyway...if I ever get the darn thing I'll report back on how it works (or doesn't).

articulate

Expedition Leader
spressomon said:
I have one of these ordered and just waiting for it...

http://www.electricblanketupgrade.com/rv12.htm

Anyway...if I ever get the darn thing I'll report back on how it works (or doesn't).
Excellent. Please do report back. If you get what you pay for, then I'd bet that these do really well. Am I being really picky if I want a 6' long electro-blankey?

$85-$100. Well, since it's for the safety of my family . . .

spressomon

Expedition Leader
articulate said:
Excellent. Please do report back. If you get what you pay for, then I'd bet that these do really well. Am I being really picky if I want a 6' long electro-blankey?

$85-$100. Well, since it's for the safety of my family . . .

They finally shipped the blanket yesterday; they were out of them when I ordered...SnT will be the test time for it.

Grouseman

Adventurer
12 Volt Heater

Desertdude said:

DD,

Just wondering which 12 volt heater you use? Can you give us a link? I used a 12 volt blanket this fall and it was the bomb, but it still was really cold inside the Cruiser, air wise.

SS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke