Blankets: 12 volt heated style

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
it was something like THIS one - it is cheap and has a switch and goes over the sheet - the really good ones ( about $180) go under the bottom sheet and heat from the bottom up - it is hard to heat the tent with an electric blanket - Desertgirl also has fitted flannel sheets which also help on the real cold nights ;)

any one get a test done on these? can you run them all night? would they warm up the inside of an ezzi awn a bit? or just for getting the bed warm?

thoughts, ideas, words of wisdom?

Grouseman

Adventurer
blanket

lx450landcruiser said:
any one get a test done on these? can you run them all night? would they warm up the inside of an ezzi awn a bit? or just for getting the bed warm?

LX,

I bought a heating pad similar to the one that started the thread. I need to find it too. Froze my butt off two weekends ago without it. On my first run with it, it did the job of heating the bed up nicely. I did not leave it on all night for fear it would run my only starting battery. If a person have another battery and you left it on all night, you could probably stay in some real cold temps.
From what I remember I paid about 100.00 for mine. It was designed for truckers.
Grouseman

spressomon

Expedition Leader
lx450landcruiser said:

I use a 12V dual rheostat blanket in my Maggiolina: LOVE IT! I put it on high for an hour or so while I'm hanging out around the fire, getting ready for bed, etc.: Hop in to warm bedding. Yeah I can hear all the naysayers, hardcore sleepers/campers etc. (I was once one of them ;-)) popping off about being soft, etc. But, although I've spent my fair share of sleep time on snow apart of BC ski touring, higher elevation backpacking, etc. I find my current set-up damn nice!

Back to the blanket: After getting in the RTT I then lower the temp to the lowest setting the remainder of sleep time. It sure is nice, if you roll over during the night as I do, to roll onto warm bedding!

I 'feed' mine with my dual trailer batteries. I'd probably get into trouble if I ran it on high all night (10-12Ah) but that would be too much heat even for single digit outside temps anyway.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
There was a thread on this back on the old ExpeditionCampers site, but I don't recall if there were any recommendations other than the ones posted above.

I used a 110V electric matress cover and heavy quilt during the winter in Colorado. I lived in a camp trailer for a year, and even though it had storm windows and extra insulations in the walls/floor, the pre-warmed bed was sure nice.

Personally, I would either get a electric matress cover or put the blanket underneath. I've never cared for an electric blanket on top.

Heavy sleeping bags are nice for short-term use, but sheets are easier to wash.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Lynn said:
There was a thread on this back on the old ExpeditionCampers site, but I don't recall if there were any recommendations other than the ones posted above.

I used a 110V electric matress cover and heavy quilt during the winter in Colorado. I lived in a camp trailer for a year, and even though it had storm windows and extra insulations in the walls/floor, the pre-warmed bed was sure nice.

Personally, I would either get a electric matress cover or put the blanket underneath. I've never cared for an electric blanket on top.

Heavy sleeping bags are nice for short-term use, but sheets are easier to wash.

Ditto: I use my 12V "blanket" atop the mattress just under the fitted sheet. And I have gone from sleeping bag use to sheets and comforter: Mo better for this application!

HINO SG

Adventurer
spressomon said:
I have one of these ordered and just waiting for it...I figure with the 30-day no risk trial/guarantee it is worth a try.
http://www.electricblanketupgrade.com/rv12.htm

Anyway...if I ever get the darn thing I'll report back on how it works (or doesn't).

I have one of those. My personal experience here in Minnesota is even with the mattress warmer it takes a pretty good pile of blankets to stay warm down into the teens and below 0. Using it under a 4 season sleeping bag has a negligable effect.

I seem to stay just as warm or, probably, warmer just using my 3 season sleeping bag inside my 4 season bag. pretty toasty.

wish there was a way to stay warm without the confinement of double sleeping bags, but the mattress warmer hasn't worked for me.

your mileage my vary.

NothingClever

Explorer
My wife's from South America.

Taking her camping in cool/cold weather is best accomplished with heated seats, proper outdoor clothing that inspires her confidence & amenities such as a heated blanket and a Mr. Buddy Heater.

The time to be hard like woodpecker lips is when I hang out with the boys.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
hinoranger said:
I have one of those. My personal experience here in Minnesota is even with the mattress warmer it takes a pretty good pile of blankets to stay warm down into the teens and below 0. Using it under a 4 season sleeping bag has a negligable effect.

I seem to stay just as warm or, probably, warmer just using my 3 season sleeping bag inside my 4 season bag. pretty toasty.

wish there was a way to stay warm without the confinement of double sleeping bags, but the mattress warmer hasn't worked for me.

your mileage my vary.

Heat output may be dependent upon make/model? Although not as frigid here as the upper midwest (typically) I've used mine down to 14 degrees (F) and it performed just fine. My heated blanket (not the kind you typically see for $49...) goes just under the fitted sheet. I use a thick goose down comforter and stay toasty warm; so warm I only need to have the blanket on setting #1 (of 7 heat settings). This is in my Maggiolina which sleeps warmer than a fabric roof/floor type tent.

But, of course, it adds little benefit to the frigid air temp when getting out of bed and getting dressed for the day.

adventurebuddies

Adventurer
I'm glad to see this thread as I am planning to buy the 2 zone 12v pad mentioned here. To me it seems logical - we sleep with sheets and a down comforter so heating from underenath makes a lot of sense. @ zones is brilliant cause my wife is always colder than I am.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
adventurebuddies said:
I'm glad to see this thread as I am planning to buy the 2 zone 12v pad mentioned here. To me it seems logical - we sleep with sheets and a down comforter so heating from underenath makes a lot of sense. @ zones is brilliant cause my wife is always colder than I am.

You'll love it...just make sure you have the battery amps to feed it ;-)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94