Anyone with a RTT set up with a Topper

freeze

Adventurer
Thank you!

I have some hair line fractures in the fiberglass from doing the Rubicon with about 100lbs on the roof basket. I'm just hoping they don't get bigger with the RTT on. I noticed the sides of the bed are starting to flare out as well. I've gotta look into a solution. I'm not really into doing an exo as it looks a little strange. I may look at doing an inexo?

DarkHelmet

Adventurer
Thank you!

I have some hair line fractures in the fiberglass from doing the Rubicon with about 100lbs on the roof basket. I'm just hoping they don't get bigger with the RTT on. I noticed the sides of the bed are starting to flare out as well. I've gotta look into a solution. I'm not really into doing an exo as it looks a little strange. I may look at doing an inexo?

Bummer, just what I didn't want to here. Was starting to think about an RTT on a Leer 100R but sounds like it may not quite be up to the weight requirements.

Leer has a reinforced 100RCC that they say will support up to 400lbs on a roof rack but they do not offer it for the short bed Tacoma, only for the longer bed.

I really want the look of a "consumer grade" fiberglass shell that will support an RTT, rather than the commercial looking ones or an exo cage.

pray4surf

Explorer
Thank you!

Bed Stiffeners
http://www.warriorproducts.com/catalog/TBL_UniversalBedStiffeners.html

bed stiffeners :tubes used to brace the bed on a truck without a tailgate. These run from the upper corner of a bedside down to the bottom of the bed, which triangulates it and keeps the bed from tweaking.

I'm familiar with stiffeners made from 1" OD (approx) tubing - had them on my 81 toyota 4x4

MDH33

Observer
I'm about to order an A.R.E MX topper for my '04 Double Cab Taco and I really want to use my RTT with this set up. Any more advice from those using toppers and RTT's? I was thinking of using Yakima Wide Body brackets (false gutter) with backing plates to attach 3 sets of Yakima A1 towers to the sides of the topper:

yhst-17131263593118_2078_24338484

Think it will support it? I won't be wheeling this truck on anything more than bumpy mountain forest roads. I know an exo-cage or ladder rack would be a more stout method, but I don't want the truck to look like a contractors rig when the tent is not on. I also like to remove the rack bars when not in use. I used the 3 sets of yak bars on my FJ60 with the tent and it worked great.

:)

freeze

Adventurer

TRDFAN

Adventurer
Bummer, just what I didn't want to here. Was starting to think about an RTT on a Leer 100R but sounds like it may not quite be up to the weight requirements.

Leer has a reinforced 100RCC that they say will support up to 400lbs on a roof rack but they do not offer it for the short bed Tacoma, only for the longer bed.

I really want the look of a "consumer grade" fiberglass shell that will support an RTT, rather than the commercial looking ones or an exo cage.

I have the Leer RCC100 for my short bed Taco. I got the reinforced version with plans of putting a RTT up there.

I am planning on ordering a set of Yakima rails for the top this week. I will let you know how it works out. I will probably follow a set up similar to HMR's.

Got to love the portal. Always useful stuff on here!

PA090085.jpg

Boats
PA080068.jpg

Camping Set up
P9060003.jpg

P9060004.jpg

And a little dirty
PA030019.jpg

MDH33

Observer
I'm about to order an A.R.E MX topper for my '04 Double Cab Taco and I really want to use my RTT with this set up. Any more advice from those using toppers and RTT's? I was thinking of using Yakima Wide Body brackets (false gutter) with backing plates to attach 3 sets of Yakima A1 towers to the sides of the topper:

yhst-17131263593118_2078_24338484

Think it will support it? I won't be wheeling this truck on anything more than bumpy mountain forest roads. I know an exo-cage or ladder rack would be a more stout method, but I don't want the truck to look like a contractors rig when the tent is not on. I also like to remove the rack bars when not in use. I used the 3 sets of yak bars on my FJ60 with the tent and it worked great.

:)

I have the Leer RCC100 for my short bed Taco. I got the reinforced version with plans of putting a RTT up there.

I am planning on ordering a set of Yakima rails for the top this week. I will let you know how it works out. I will probably follow a set up similar to HMR's.

Are you planning on running the tent on the topper without additional reinforcement? I am considering doing the same thing.

TRDFAN

Adventurer
Are you planning on running the tent on the topper without additional reinforcement? I am considering doing the same thing.

Yeah, the RCC100 is designed to support 600lbs on top. If you look at the underside of the op you can see the two larger "ribs" that give it this extra strength.

I plan on running a RTT the same way HMR does, with the load bars mounted directly to the rails on top of the camper. My thoughts are the higher the legs make the tent sit from the top/shell the more torque or leverage they have to crack or break the top when you start to move around.

I think the top should hold up fine. I have seen several people on this site who run their RTT's mounted directly to their shell. Im sure you have to. Just make sure when you are mounting to the top you use the proper adhesives and maybe mix up a small amount of fiberglass to apply to the outside for extra strength.

Let me know how this goes when you do it, i'm right behind ya with the same thing.

MDH33

Observer
Yeah, the RCC100 is designed to support 600lbs on top. If you look at the underside of the op you can see the two larger "ribs" that give it this extra strength.

Gotcha. That sounds like a good solution. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that Leer makes the RCC100 or RCC180 for the 5.5 foot bed on the 2001-2004 DC Tacomas, according to their website.

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
I'm sure this has been discussed, but couldn't you add some additional support inside the topper in the form of a piece of flat steel that you run the mounting hardware through?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles