Yet another water can thread

matt s

Explorer
OK I searched through 5 pages of results with "water" in the title and did not see anything.:snorkel:

Here's the deal. I have the old style mounting for gas cans that utilizes the bottom lip of the can at the base and clamps to one of the outside handles of the three handle cans. I am set up to carry two cans of this type. I happen to have few gas cans like this so no problem there.

566206234_xvCqt-M.jpg

What I would like to do is be able to carry one gas and one water can. Either via google or this site I cannot find cans that will fit this type of mount. The NATO style cans are almost right, but lack the lower lip on the bottom.

Do cans like this exist anymore?

I think I could conjure up a bracket that would hold modern cans, and then mount the bracket to my existing setup, however a can that fit right to begin with would certainly be a cleaner install.

Last edited:

fisher205

Explorer
Blitz still makes this style of can, I just bought some for my old cj5. I've never seen one for water. Other than rust, maybe you can use a new gas can and paint it blue. I've seen some nice bumper mounts for igloo style water coolers. You maybe could build an adaptor to use one of those. -Brad

matt s

Explorer
I have 4 of the aluminum ones. Don't ask where I go them though, it was about 30 years ago and I don't remember.
If you don't have any good responses here, maybe try contacting the person who put together this article:
http://www.olive-drab.com/od_mvg_jerry_can_metal_water.php

Tom, I found that site early on in my search and thought I hit the jackpot! Then I figured out that they were not selling them, just writing about them. Thanks for the help, I may try to drop an email on the author.

matt s

Explorer
Blitz still makes this style of can, I just bought some for my old cj5. I've never seen one for water. Other than rust, maybe you can use a new gas can and paint it blue. I've seen some nice bumper mounts for igloo style water coolers. You maybe could build an adaptor to use one of those. -Brad

Thanks Brad. I saw that Blitz still makes this style of can. What I cannot figure out is why no one makes this can for water. All the water ones have a seam in the middle and no lip on the bottom. I have wondered about using a new gas can for water, but don't if the liner would be leaching anything into the water. I need it to be potable.

Water can...

Matt:

I've probably got what you are looking for...an older USMC water can that is in very, very good condition with the bottom lip you need to attach to your carrier. I'd purchased it to go with my Con-Ferr spare tire jerry can carrier that requires the use of cans with a lip on the bottom to clamp in correctly.

Here's where it gets better - the can is aluminum - so no rust or any interior paint to flake off and it's light weight. It does need a new gasket on the lid, but that's it. It's currently olive-drab over red over the original olive drab.

Since getting this set-up, I've added a spare tire bike rack and a small military trailer to the mix so I don't really need this can.

Let me know if you're interested in it...only selling the can at this time.

Desert Dan

Explorer
Blitz has the gas cans but I don't know where you can get the water cans.

I have 2 rusted out water cans and have thought of lining them with a non-toxic coating for water use again? Any ideas? Figber glass or a water tank coating?

matt s

Explorer
PM Sent!

Thanks, I have Con-Ferr mounts so this should be a perfect fit.

Matt:

I've probably got what you are looking for...an older USMC water can that is in very, very good condition with the bottom lip you need to attach to your carrier. I'd purchased it to go with my Con-Ferr spare tire jerry can carrier that requires the use of cans with a lip on the bottom to clamp in correctly.

Here's where it gets better - the can is aluminum - so no rust or any interior paint to flake off and it's light weight. It does need a new gasket on the lid, but that's it. It's currently olive-drab over red over the original olive drab.

Since getting this set-up, I've added a spare tire bike rack and a small military trailer to the mix so I don't really need this can.

Let me know if you're interested in it...only selling the can at this time.

matt s

Explorer
Those are sweet. But man what a price tag! Still it would be nice to know your water is housed in stainless.

fisher205

Explorer
They make potable coatings for steel water tanks, maybe you could put that in the Blitz cans. I'm selling my CJ so haven't looked into it anymore myself. - Brad

matt s

Explorer
I have wondered about using a new gas can and just painting it. I will look in to those coatings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz