Solar power for camping/overlanding trips installed 6 27 2009

AndrewP

Explorer
I ordered that same controller but since I will be at 200 watts I probably need to go with an MPPT controller.

Not necessarily. The Sunsaver 20 would work fine. The Sunsaver 10 would almost work - you will rarely be over 10 amps, but since it's possible, you need to plan for it.

AndrewP

Explorer
Wouldn't you think the MPPT would be more efficient than the Sunsaver 20?

Sure, a bit. Maybe 5-10% or so. Only you can decide if that's worth it to you.

An MPPT controller is generally going to be better. But, it's also 4 times the price. You'be better off buying more panel with the price difference in my opinion. The less expensive PWM controllers work very well, and you are not giving up much if anything in low power operation. The break point is said to be 200-400 watts. At 200 watts, you are on the very low end of that. If in the end, you're going to more panels, get the MPPT, but if you are topping out at 200 watts I don't think I would go MPPT. Especially if I wasn't relying on it every day.

unseenone

Explorer
There is a good chance the MPPT could interfere with communications HAM/CB, etc. if you have them. Just bear that in mind. I use the Morningstar PS-30-M PWM and it is fine. No problems with that one.

228B

Observer
And if you decide on the SS MPPT and two panels, you have the option of connecting the panels in series to produce a nominal 24V solar input. This way you could have one cable, up to a 25' run of 10 ga for the convenience of getting the panels in full sun while your vehicle is in the shade. The battery will still charge as a 12V. The controller senses battery voltage within a specific range to "indentify" whether the battery bank is 12V or 24V.
My setup is like this now with two panels and the series connection with it's higher voltage creates a situation where my MPPT controller send an additional amp to the battery than when the panels were connected in parallel. Over 12.5 amps are now sent to the battery rather than the 11.5 amps from the parallel connection. Granted, this may not seem like much but it does help speed up the "bulk" phase of battery charging.
My system works well enough when using just one of these 100W panels. I only added the second panel to connect for days of full cloud cover, but was later educated on the higher-voltage series connection. If this post seems confusing, nevermind. I'm just now coming up to speed with my first cup of coffee.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior