Any vendors here carry the Waeco Fridge?

Connie

Day walker, Overland Certified OC0013
We have settled on the Waeco 25 for our Range Rover and I was wondering if anybody here carries them. I can of course find one on the internet, but would rather my dollars go to somebody I know than some random company.

I started to do a search with the forum sponsors, but I am fundamentally lazy, and only made it through three of them.:p

TCM

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0006
I had hoped to get one from a forum sponsor myself Connie. But in the end purchased it from Poly Performance in California. Martyn at AT used to sell Waeco but he has dropped the brand.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
WAECO took a turn for the worse from a retailers point of view when they were bought by Dometic. Much confusion within the company that we didn't have time to deal with.

Connie

Bummer! I noticed that there aren't many vendors period. And the overall info available is a little lacking. If I hadn't gotten to see one first hand, we probably wouldn't have chosen it. (I know we wouldn't have because our Engle has performed brilliantly)

Okay if I had done a search I would have seen that Beowulf asked the same basic question less than two months ago. Duh!

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Connie,

Expect an email shortly with lots of info on the Waeco, part numbers, and where to purchase.

Paul 3

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0011
Connie,

Expect an email shortly with lots of info on the Waeco, part numbers, and where to purchase.

Beowulf,
would you mind including me on that email. I'm about to wind up my reading/research in a fridge decision and I'm fairly sure it's going to be a Waeco, but any additional info would be a great help.

Cheers,
Paul

Connie

Just received the fridge from americanrvcompany.com. Arrived in good shape, and once I realized that Dometic and Waeco were indeed the same fridge and stopped having a hissy fit, I plugged it in and it works great!

$399 fridge
$42 transit bag
$20 shipping and insurance

Cold beer... priceless!

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Connie,

Yes, Dometic bought waeco. I too was a little bummed that it said Dometic on the fridge, but at least the transit bag still says Waeco.

I'm glad it worked out for you. So far mine has been working great. Lately I mostly use it to for weekly grocery runs. I end up going to Whole Foods and then decide to hit the farmers market or what ever else is going on and my food stays nice and cold the whole time. Even after being off and in a hot jeep all day, it reaches its cold setting extremely fast. Fast enough that if I put a tub of icecream in the fridge it will cool down quickly enough to not have any melting occur.

Connie

Do you find that you have to keep the area around the vents very clear? I plugged it in in my car and it seemed like it was putting out a fair amount of heat. Of course I did ask it to go from 23C to -5C (which it did in about an hour, maybe less).

Finatic Angler

Adventurer
First off thans for the link.

I was looking at ADV and another brand which were mreo costly. The one thing I could not find on the site was the AMP draw. Can this fridge be used with solar panels once in camp?

Thanks

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Connie,

I have not purposely kept my vents clear at all. I usually have stuff stacked up around the fridge and there is normally just a small gap around the vents.

TCM will be back from a week long trip next Sunday and will be able to give another opinion on the fridge as well.

Connie

Bummer about the digital display. Our CF-25 that we just got has the digital display. However our Engle does not, so we got an indoor outdoor thermometer, ran it into the fridge, under the floor mat and mounted the display on the Tuffy box, so that I could keep a constant eye on it. (Insulin is no good if it freezes). Once I found the sweet spot for the temp dial, we have had no troubles.

TCM

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0006
Like Connie, I have the CF25 and it has the digital display. The fridge you received is indeed the previous generation of the CF40. I would send it back and request a replacement. That or ask for a discount on the price to make it worth your while to keep an older model.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
I run an 84 Qt Waeco in my trailer. It's the older model so it does not have a digital readout. I solved the problem by purchasing a TwoZone wireless thermometer from Sierra Expeditions.

I mounted the sending unit on the outside of the fridge and drilled a hole near the top edge to run the temp sensor wire inside the fridge.

The TwoZone sends both the inside fridge temp and the outside temp from the sending unit to a wireless receiver in my truck. That way, when traveling I can now see not only the internal fridge temp but also the temp of the storage area in my trailer where the fridge lives.

When in camp, I just set the display on a shelf in my kitchen area so I can easily monitor the fridge temp.

I like this dual temp set up. Maybe just ask for a discount on the fridge you have and use that to get a TwoZone from SE. :victory:

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Yes, it seems to keep the inside temp within 2-3 degrees for whatever LED setting you have it set at. Like mine stays right around 33 degrees + or - 2 or 3 degrees on setting #3.

That changes to around the upper 30s if I switch to setting level 2 and mid to high 20s on setting level 4.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier