2004 Suburban LT vs. 2000 Land Cruiser

Zatara

Adventurer
Sorry, no. It was several months ago that I read they had something new coming out, no specifics. I looked, but couldn't find what I had read. One reason I haven't gotten a lift yet is because I want to see what they'll unveil.

I wonder if it wasn't their new 4" kit that keeps the torsion bars tucked up in instead of having them hang down ?
I'll call the guy I know there and ask. :sombrero:

winkosmosis

Explorer
The Park Service has a lot of the older generation (the boxy one) 2500 Suburbans. I was always impressed by the clearance under the IFS. It's like they come with a lift.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
The LC100 is IFS too let's remember.

Not a lot of breakage on LC100 compared to the Chevy IFS but then again he is not looking for a hard core 4wd vehicle.

If you do go with the Burb I would make sure its a 3/4 ton. The 1/2 come with 10 bolts rear end and break very very easy, my wife broke hers driving to the mall.:Wow1:

Superu

Explorer
Update

Found a 98 Land Cruiser 100 w/120k miles for 11k. Going to look at it early in the week. Carfax reveals most of the maintenance was performed at two Toyota dealers between the Stamford and New Caanan areas of Connecticut.

This leads me to believe that it was likely not abused off road, if it ever even left the asphalt. Appears to be nearly spotless with only a few things that needed repairing like a window regulator and window switch before 50k miles and a TPS and Fuel Sending Unit at 118k miles.

If it checks out on the test drive, we'll likely be taking it home. Anything else I should ready the checkbook for in the next 30k miles?

TIA

spikemd

Explorer
Good luck. I am in the same boat starting to look at our next truck purchase. My family is growing and we need a bigger vehicle. The 2-door bimmer isn't cutting it. I love our 2003 4Runner V8, but with 3 kids (2 now and 1 coming), the space will be too tight. Looking at and driving the 100 series LCs, the space isn't that much bigger than the 4Runner. Its wider and a bit bigger in the rear, but not substantial. The Sequoia is definitely bigger, and has cargo space with the rear seats in place. I will be inheriting the 4Runner and the wifey will get the bigger truck. I will keep the 4Runner and than make it my expedition rig and then use the Sequoia/LC for the kids. But it would be tough building up the 4Runner when I have an LC in the driveway... But the reality is that I can't lift her truck because she is too small and it would be cumbersome for her to get into the truck. I am not a rock-crawler, but would like a capable rig for exploring. For overall space, the Sequoia is the way to go. For expedition use, the LC. As a side note, the drivetrain of the 2003 4Runner V8 is almost identical to the 100series with the newer tranny. But the LC is more 'built' and can definitely take a beating. decisions....decisions...

Let us know what you get and add some pics....

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
They share the same block but the 4.7v8 is tuned with head, intake and ECU quite differently in the LC, IMO drives much more "truck" like.

Scott39

Adventurer
Get an late 90`s suburban 2500/ 3/4 ton, has a semi float 14 bolt rear, and the Vortec Chevy motor will last as long as an FJ motor will, plus the late 90`s burbs are cheaper to buy.
Just find one with low mileage.
Get it with the 454/ 4L80E tranny if you can, or the 3/4 with the 350, it still should have the semi float rearend.
You will get about the same MPG as the FJ`s.

My buddy had the older solid axle suburban 91', with the older throttle body 350.
They towed the crap out of that burb towing his FJ40 rockcrawler, finally the 10 bolt rear went out at 230k miles. So we put a full floating 14 bolt in it.

Then the engine went out at 288k miles, not bad for a chevy.
The engine would of lasted longer, but he has a real heavy right foot.
And his burb never left him stranded.

Oh! and this same guy also has an FJ80, so he has been comparing the two for alot of years.

I`m a big Toyota fan, But I also use to drive Chevys, Now just a Dodge Cummins. :sombrero:
You can`t find many FJ parts in small town auto stores, but Chevy you can find everywhere.

And you don`t want to ever have to replace the FJ80 engine or Tranny big $$$$$$.
It kinda comes down to what you like. I had a hard time selling my old 1990 toyota truck after 8 years. But now I have more room, and tons more power in my Dodge.
I go up the high moutain passes here in Colorado as fast as I want. The Toyota would drop down to 35 mph up Loveland pass.
And I get 2-3 more MPG than the 1990 Toy.

Superu

Explorer
2003 Suburban LT

Should be picking her up tomorrow. :)

Nearly spotless 03 Suburban 1500 LT with leather, moonroof, Bose, OnStar. I know it doesn't sound like an expo vehicle but it IS the minivan replacement first and foremost. I'll have to mod it gradually in small ways to start so the darling wife doesn't feel like I'm taking over her ride completely! ;)

Some nice features include the adjustable pedals so smaller drivers don't need to be right on top of the air bag and dual stage airbags that deploy with reduced power in lower force collisions. The front passenger seat also has an airbag sensor so it disabled the airbag if a smaller passenger such as a child is seated there who may be more threatened than protected by the airbag. (of course, if I find myself driving this thing so loaded with kids that I have to put one in the front, I'm gonna need a Valium dispenser installed!)

Another nice feature for our greyhound is that the rear seat behind the driver folds flat and has a flip back panel that makes a big flat platform for Bob. He was so comfortable he fell asleep during the test drive!

First mod is the addition of National Luna portable power pack for the fridge. Next is a ceiling mount flip down dvd player for the kids. I encourage them to look out the window and find new things to discuss most of the time, but there are times when a movie is a nice treat on a long drive.

Will post pics once we get it home. Thanks for all the feedback and advice. :smiley_drive:

Last edited:

Scott39

Adventurer
Just add a corp.14 bolt later, should bolt rite in.
I would put bigger all terrains on, if it doesnt already have them, And then you would be able to do a lot of trails.

Last edited:

EdoHart

Observer
I just got this reply to a query of mine on another site.

I wonder if it wasn't their new 4" kit that keeps the torsion bars tucked up in instead of having them hang down ?
I'll call the guy I know there and ask. :sombrero:

I asked what was coming from someone in the inner circle of Cognito Motor sports. This is his reply

Nothing wild is coming for SEMA from Cognito this year. Running out of time for what they had planned. The "Idea" was going to be a pricey $$$$.99 one so it was not anything that was going to set the world on fire in sales, just the next step of how fare you could take the IFS suspension. It will happen just not sure when.

Superu

Explorer
Update

Had the Sub for two days now and am very pleased.

Interior space is excellent. The 60 section of the middle row 60/40 bench (more like 70/30) folds completely flat and has a section that folds back to cover the footwell for the 3rd row so it makes a perfect sleeping platform for our dog and is just the right level for my nine year old's feet to rest.

Heading out shortly to have a set of Yokohama Geolandar AT/S put on as I've been very pleased with their dual purpose performance and wanted something more aggresive than the craptastic new tires the dealer had just put on. (Made in China Geo-Trac Radial XLT) :( without killing the on road ride and noise since this is my wife's daily driver.

Ordered my National Luna Portable Power Pack this morning as well. After running the numbers for buying the brackets, ACR, switch, battery monitor and wiring it just wasn't worth the effort to add a second battery that would then end up solely dedicated to this truck. With the PPP, I'll be able to bring it in the Superu as well as take it in someone else's vehicle as needed and top it off with the solar panel to boot.

Recommendations on inexpensive but reasonably durable boxes to carry camping gear and food in the back would be welcome.

Will post pics up after the tires are on.

haven

Expedition Leader
Glad you're happy with the purchase. Sometimes there's
no substitute for a spacious interior. Depending on where
you live, you may find the Suburban is a little wide and long
for ease of parking and city driving. But that's acceptable
when you need the extra room inside.

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Congrats on the purchase. Time to do a thread on the new rig, looking forward to seeing pics. I use a Stor-It-All Trunk from The Container Store to hold the majority of my camping gear in the back of my Tahoe. You could easily fit one in your Suburban with a fridge in the back with room to spare.

TripWest2009353.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior