Superu

Explorer
First pics

cell phone quality...

sub1.jpg

sub2.jpg

SGV

Adventurer
I am surprised know one listed this as a plus to going with the Chevy: Superban. :D

Congratulations on the new truck.

Superu

Explorer
I am surprised know one listed this as a plus to going with the Chevy: Superban. :D

Congratulations on the new truck.

I like it! :ylsmoke:

Too bad RI limits us to 6 letters on our plates! :(

The toughest thing with this truck is going to be resisting the mod urges! Already envisioning it with an Ezi-Awn 2200 Family tent, 2" lift, Warn Grill guard/winch carrier, rear bumper with scepter can and tire carrier, big @ss inverter permanently installed, on-board air..... must...stop...nowwww......

It's just so damned big and comfortable for the whole family including our dog that it's destined to be our expedition vehicle. If I get a magnetic screen to go over the sunroof, the dog can sleep inside while we sleep up top in the Ezi-Awn.

CSG

Explorer
Have you got an update for us on how the Sub is working out for you?

I'm getting ready to do something when I turn in my Expo rated Miata in a couple months from its lease and have been focused on a Series 100 LC but they are just so hard to find around here whereas Subs are a dime a dozen and have a lot more flat rear deck for gear and sleeping.

It's not capable like an LC but I'm not sure I need the abilities of the LC seeing as though my current 4x4 truck seems to be able to get me most places I like to go to.

Superu

Explorer
Only had a few trips with it so far, but in sand, gravel and mud have had no issues. It's easily accommodates the 5 of us plus our taller than average greyhound.

Got off road a couple of times in VT and Quebec and had no issues with approach or departure. Granted, these weren't hardcore trails, but it's all in what you'll be using it for. We use it for heavily rutted beach sand trails, forest service/fire roads and mild to moderate trails. The Geolandar AT/S have been excellent so far with respect to ride comfort, road noise and traction.

The National Luna PPP has worked great and is a semi-permanent feature in the back of the truck. Planning to add a police style push bar up front for lights, a 2" lift (new torsion keys and spacers), and if finances will allow in 2010, a Warn Hidden Winch mount.

Ride comfort is far superior to the solid axle leaf sprung front end of the Excursion but comes with the inherent limitations of IFS on suspension travel.

Final plus for us over the LC100 was the ability to run in 2WD most of the time and save a few mpg. :smiley_drive:

jim65wagon

Recommendations on inexpensive but reasonably durable boxes to carry camping gear and food in the back would be welcome.

We use aluminum ATV boxes from Agri-Supply. They're very durable and lightweight. We use them for hiking gear, food, tools and truck gear and general supplies. The only one that gets heavy is the truck box.

CSG

Explorer
Thanks, Sup. I keep thinking for my use a Suburban might be as useful as a Land Cruiser but they simply don't get me all hot and bothered like the LC does. :D The thing is, I can find a late model Suburban a lot more easily than an LC. I don't do "trails" or anything approaching hardcore and you've got a much longer flat floor loading area for sleeping and gear. As a six footer, that matters.

Superu

Explorer
Thanks, Sup. I keep thinking for my use a Suburban might be as useful as a Land Cruiser but they simply don't get me all hot and bothered like the LC does. :D The thing is, I can find a late model Suburban a lot more easily than an LC. I don't do "trails" or anything approaching hardcore and you've got a much longer flat floor loading area for sleeping and gear. As a six footer, that matters.

How about this one? :ylsmoke:

2001 Suburban

RacerX29

I often wonder how well GM trucks would hold up if cared-for like Toyota fans care with fervor for their vehicles.

I've got a 2000 Suburban 2500 w/ a 6.0 that's racked up over 235,000 miles with routine maintenance. I've had to replace the usual things - fuel pump, water pump, radiator, and oil pump. I've also rebuilt the suspension once & replaced the shocks and brakes a couple times. Still running strong & I get compliments on the looks all the time. I need to fix the steering gear, a power window motor/controller and my only complaint is the gas mileage when we're paying $3.80/gallon... I think it all boils down to taking care of what you've got.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94