Instant Hot Water Shower

timber

Adventurer
I have been using one for about a year and a half and it so far has been perfect. I bolted a small 12 V diaphragm pump right to the front of it, about !.2 gpm and with the flow control on the eccotemp you can easily get 2 or 3 showers out of a 5 gallon can or if you have a water source its unlimited. Even with a really cold water supply it will easily give you water that's hotter than you can use. I find its very adaptable or easy to adjust flow and temp. to whatever you want to do, Between showering or washing dishes or just washing your hands. I just plug it into my little 12v power supply for the pump and since all my camp stuff is propane and the tank is right there. it works great!

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
I know something of this concept, having had three on-demand water heaters in campers.

The Unimog came with a German unit that worked quite well. I liked it so well that when I did the Sprinter, I got a full-fledged marine unit that works superbly. Unfortunately, it costs $1500 plus installation.

After about 13 years of use, a pinhole corrosion leak developed in the Mog's unit and, since more would be coming, I scrapped it for a $300 Asian unit off eBay. It got installed just before I stopped using the truck, so I've no long term opinion.

Anyway, I love these things compared to the alternatives. However, you have to understand that unit size and inlet water temperature have everything to do with your satisfaction. If you get a large, expensive unit, such as I have in the Sprinter, the unit will provide normal shower flows of hot water with near-freezing inlet water. But a littlest units may struggle to provide a 20 degree temperature rise when run at full flow. Getting 40 degree water up to 100 degrees will be diffficult with anything more than a trickle of water.

The issue of size and venting will be a considerable factor, since the units are wall-mounted. Any unit that will meet normal needs at normal flows is likely to be bigger than you'd ideally want to put on your wall.

One last point (AND THIS IS INFORMATION, NOT ADVICE; YOU'RE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY) is that a year or two ago, when I bought the replacement for the Mog, the smallest of these heaters were advetised as "no vent needed." The idea was that they burned little enough gas and ran for short enough periods of time--and they may have had oxygen depletion sensors; can't remember--that the exhaust could go into the air. Clearly, some protective agency disagreed (and there used to be ten times as many for sale on eBay as there are now), but at one point, the manufacturer figured that going without a vent wasn't totally absurd. (FWIW, I sort of agree; you'll only be running the unit when you're awake, more likely to be in a ventilated space, and pretty likely do something when you note that your the air is getting bad.)

timber

Adventurer
I have one and use it with my trailer using a surflow 2.8 pump and I love it. Timber what pump are you using??

It is a older surflo single fixture pump.. The tag is gone now but I remember 1.2gpm free flow and the pressure switch is on at 15psi and off at 35psi.

haplo32

It is a older surflo single fixture pump.. The tag is gone now but I remember 1.2gpm free flow and the pressure switch is on at 15psi and off at 35psi.
I use a Flojet water pump to provide pressure to my Eccotemp L5. The great thing about it is that the eccotemp normally needs to be connected to a garden faucet to feed water to the unit and to provide the water pressure. Using the Flojet pump I can take the Eccotemp water heater anywhere(as long as there's a source of water such as a lake, river or your own water that you carry with you).
Both products are available as a combo purchase here: Eccotemp L5 & Flojet Water Pump

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94